2022 Recruiting Thread

• @BeddieKU23 said in 2022 Recruiting Thread:

@Marco

The KU 247 reporter left for another job and it hasn’t been filled yet.

So what do you all think? Maybe we should get @jayballer67 to take the job.

• @Marco said in 2022 Recruiting Thread:

@BeddieKU23 said in 2022 Recruiting Thread:

@Marco

The KU 247 reporter left for another job and it hasn’t been filled yet.

So what do you all think? Maybe we should get @jayballer67 to take the job.

oh you a funny guy lol

• Judah Mintz is back on the market.

• wow that would be big time. That commitment to Pitt was just weird. Saw Mintz play recently on TV and he looked really good.

• What position does he play? Combo. Mmm, maybe he’ll sign at KU. Probably not though.

• @Marco

He is a combo guard. Good skills with the ball, good size, good playmaker for others, solid perimeter shot. Not sure where we are with him since his AAU team funnels to Nike a lot. I found it extremely odd he committed to Pitt first go round

• This post is deleted!

@Marco

He is a combo guard. Good skills with the ball, good size, good playmaker for others, solid perimeter shot. Not sure where we are with him since his AAU team funnels to Nike a lot. I found it extremely odd he committed to Pitt first go round

KU and Florida are the two I think are really in the lead right now. KU pushing hard for an official visit.

• @FarmerJayhawk

Thanks that’s promising

• Would be a huge victory to get him from a Nike school. That said…recruiting appears to be on an uptick and getting Zuby surprised me.

• Certainly an intriguing option. Definitely has more size the Harris/Pettiford/Yesufu so I can see the need

• Isaacs back to Texas Tech. Weird one

• This post is deleted!

Certainly an intriguing option. Definitely has more size the Harris/Pettiford/Yesufu so I can see the need

Staff definitely wants a bigger guard. I think that was the 5th signee they wanted that Bill was referring to.

• @BShark said in 2022 Recruiting Thread:

@BeddieKU23 said in 2022 Recruiting Thread:

Certainly an intriguing option. Definitely has more size the Harris/Pettiford/Yesufu so I can see the need

Staff definitely wants a bigger guard. I think that was the 5th signee they wanted that Bill was referring to.

What do you think? Give me Vegas odds of him signing with us.

• So what’s the latest with the guy? - - has he set any kind of a time table for a decision or what & how do we sit are we in a good position with him & what do guys think our chances are for him? - Sounds like he would be a good PU

• I think this kid is 2022 but might be 2023 don’t remember seeing the year in Article. - -Jeremiah Johnson the # 1 ranked player in Oklahoma talking about recruitment # 35 player overall says he has taken 2 unofficial visits to KU. Saying how he like the KU program that KU has shown alot of loyality by staying with him, said he is looking for a program / Coach who stays true to him Biggest thing is probably loyality

• @jayballer67 gotta like that!

• @jayballer67 said in 2022 Recruiting Thread:

I think this kid is 2022 but might be 2023 don’t remember seeing the year in Article. - -Jeremiah Johnson the # 1 ranked player in Oklahoma talking about recruitment # 35 player overall says he has taken 2 unofficial visits to KU. Saying how he like the KU program that KU has shown alot of loyality by staying with him, said he is looking for a program / Coach who stays true to him Biggest thing is probably loyality

Robert Redford’s son, right? Joke.

• @Marco said in 2022 Recruiting Thread:

@jayballer67 said in 2022 Recruiting Thread:

I think this kid is 2022 but might be 2023 don’t remember seeing the year in Article. - -Jeremiah Johnson the # 1 ranked player in Oklahoma talking about recruitment # 35 player overall says he has taken 2 unofficial visits to KU. Saying how he like the KU program that KU has shown alot of loyality by staying with him, said he is looking for a program / Coach who stays true to him Biggest thing is probably loyality

Robert Redford’s son, right? Joke.

lol - -could be - I sure wouldn’t know lol

• So does anyone happen to know by chance , is this Mintz kid that de-committed and we are I guess working on pretty hard , does he happen maybe be related to the Mintz kd that plays on the Kentucky team ?

• @jayballer67

They are not related

@jayballer67

They are not related

ok thank you did not know - -appreciated , and glad they are not lol

• KU has interest in recent Texas A&M decommit PG Amaree Abram #188 from California.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound point guard is long, tough, competitive and plays with aggressiveness on both ends of the floor. He’s a good defender, he gets in the paint, can make shots from three and is an unselfish passer.

Kansas: "I think it’s a wonderful program and I am very blessed to be receiving interest from them. We have been talking about visits and stuff like that.

KU has interest in recent Texas A&M PG Amaree Abram #188 from California.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound point guard is long, tough, competitive and plays with aggressiveness on both ends of the floor. He’s a good defender, he gets in the paint, can make shots from three and is an unselfish passer.

Kansas: "I think it’s a wonderful program and I am very blessed to be receiving interest from them. We have been talking about visits and stuff like that.

so this kid is in the transfer Portal from the basketball side ? - -thanks for the info just didn’t realize

• @jayballer67

Not in portal, just decommitted.

@jayballer67

Not in portal, just decommitted.

oh ok , I was thinking he was already playing for them So he is a incoming freshman then.

• Pretty clear Bill wants a big guard. No offer here yet but I like what I’m seeing, looks like a 4* to me.

• @BShark lefty

• @jayballer67

I thought I wrote that he decommitted in the original post but I didn’t, sorry for the confusion

• @BShark

If they get a visit I’m sure an offer will go out. Was thinking unless a sure-fire talent was available for that ‘big guard spot’ we should just wait to see what the transfer portal tree shakes out.

@jayballer67

I thought I wrote that he decommitted in the original post but I didn’t, sorry for the confusion

ya you did bud I just saw that this time your not wrong it’s me - still not awake lol. At any rate wll maybe might be someone that we land hopefully sounds solid

• @jayballer67

It was me, I edited the original so there was no confusion on him being a transfer at this point.

• Amaree recently had 27 against Prolific Prep (Current KU signee MJ Rice plays for them). Highlights are very promising. Looks prepared physically, can shoot it and get wherever he wants on the court. I would not be upset if we made him a priority.

Amaree recently had 27 against Prolific Prep (Current KU signee MJ Rice plays for them). Highlights are very promising. Looks prepared physically, can shoot it and get wherever he wants on the court. I would not be upset if we made him a priority.

I wouldn’t be either

• 2022 Too Early Lineup?

• PG: Juan/ Pettiford
    • SG: Braun / Yesufu
    • SF: Rice / Dick
    • PF: Wilson? KJ?
    • C: Clemence? KJ? Udeh?

Really think it’ll be interesting to see how the post shakes out. Definitely will have the bodies in 2022. Udeh and Zuby will look lost at times, but they both bring a physical presence. KJ is probably the best athlete out of the bunch. Clemence has the BBIQ and skill none of the other 3 will have.

Gut feeling tells me we see Cam, Yesufu and Cuffe in different uniforms next season.

So I feel good about being 2 deep at PG. But they should probably look for a 3rd ballhandler. If Braun does play his way into the draft (looking more likely by the day) then I think you’ll see maybe a late signing or a high-end transfer add.

I am betting on Wilson being back. We will have the scholarships available and quite frankly unless he just goes on an absolute tear he should come back.

• @Kcmatt7 don’t pen in Rice yet. If he ends up at KU, then he should start.

• I think Jalen is gone one way or another. Either he improves and tries to get drafted or continues to be bad and transfers. He has been close to leaving every off-season, really hard to see him back again.

Barring any high impact additions…

Guard rotation: Dajuan, Bobby, Yesufu (Cuffe is still a year away, I think he can be good due to his athletic ability but basketball wise he is last on the depth chart right now. Hard to keep players while not playing them 2 years in this day and age. Would love to see him be a developmental success story at KU tho)

Wing rotation: CB, Rice, Dick (if Rice doesn’t show up, I would imagine this spot is filled by a transfer)

Big rotation: Zach, Zuby, Udeh

I’m a Zuby truther. I loved the offer when it happened, didn’t even think we could land him. Great athlete, good size, fluid movement, offensive skill set improving. Udeh is similar to Udoka/KJ in that he has no real skill set to speak of offensively but his advantages and path to playing time are due to him being 4-5’’ taller than KJ and a guy that can eat up shots at the rim.

@Kcmatt7 FWIW, I have heard Cuffe and KJ would be the candidates if space is needed. They like Yesefu and he has bought in and at least tries on defense (unlike a certain someone). The more likely thing than needing room is guys deciding to leave on their own. If what I posted ends up being the 9 man rotation more or less that is a pretty good team that will get most of it’s scoring from the wings and starting center (Zach). The main worry is we would likely be playing 2 guards a lot, with none of them really being scorers yet (maybe Bobby or Yes come a long a bit in that regard).

• No way Yesufu leaves, he already used the free transfer year so there’s little incentive to leave and sit another year somewhere else. He knows there’s a bigger role for him to earn next season.

Hopefully Braun is back to be the “guy”. Didn’t think I would be saying that but the way he’s playing anything is on the table.

Wilson, what is there to say right now. He’s not pro material as it stands so transferring is a real option if he continues to come off the bench. We’ll see if his play improves and changes the narrative.

Cam is definitely a transfer candidate.

I don’t see Cuffe/KJ going anywhere. Self is already losing so much after this year so these guys are needed. Unless you can get a 5 star prospect or a transfer difference maker I don’t see either of them going anywhere if they are happy.

There will be so many unknowns next year. On and Off the court.

• @BeddieKU23 we’ll be young no doubt. Braun is the wild card at this point, hope he comes back.

• @Marco

That’s why this year is important on so many levels (especially with the elephant still looming over our head)

• @BeddieKU23 the only reason I could really see Cuffe transferring is if he doesn’t want to have 2 full years not really playing at all. Though I think he would have to take a step down to see pt, coaches will sell him on playing even if he wouldn’t.

• Starting lineup next year (what I think will be, not what I necessarily want)? I’ll go with Zach at the 5 (muscle up, get a haircut to keep it out of your eyes), the rest hinges on Rice. If he’s here, start him at the three with Braun an undersized 4 Yesufu at the point and Dick at the 2.

2nd 5 - Udeh, Martin, Zuby and Adams (I think he’ll work on his ballhandling/shooting skills), Harris and or Pettiford.

The whole makeup of the team depends on three things. Will Braun be back and will Rice be on campus? And, ofcourse, who else do we get via the transfer portal?

• @BShark

Yeah and he’s from the East Coast so distance from home can become a factor after you don’t play for a year etc. I’ve said in the past the redshirt year does nothing to keep him here after this season now with the rules the way they are.

I’m absolutely pulling for Kyle to stick around so we can see what his defense and elite athleticism can do on the court.

I think with Self losing 6-8 kids he’s going to push hard to keep all the freshman happy. You can’t go into next year with just a few kids that know what they are doing.

• @BeddieKU23 yeah he is an EJ level athlete just no skills right now.

• I just don’t see Yesufu really cracking the rotation for big minutes next year either. This is his 3rd season in D1 CBB and he’s getting beat for minutes by Pettiford. Harris has more eligibility left than Yesufu too. There is no way for Yesufu to start at KU the way it looks today.

Why would he stay?

• @Kcmatt7 he’s got 2 years left after this season.

• @Kcmatt7 said in 2022 Recruiting Thread:

I just don’t see Yesufu really cracking the rotation for big minutes next year either. This is his 3rd season in D1 CBB and he’s getting beat for minutes by Pettiford. Harris has more eligibility left than Yesufu too. There is no way for Yesufu to start at KU the way it looks today.

Why would he stay?

Idk, he’d be in the rotation of 3 guys for 2 spots most likely. He’s already better albeit slightly offensively than Harris and I think his defense will really get there.