Chris Beard extends with Tech

• 6 year deal worth $4.75 million a year through 2024-2025. Tech ponied up big time. Well deserved.

Is this a sign he’s staying put for the long haul or just building equity waiting for the Longhorns to offer him double in a few years…

• @BeddieKU23 This is a big move by Tech now that they’ve seen the benefit of a good program. He boosted the game revenue by $1.5M last season based on some attendance numbers and safe assumptions. Probably closer to $2M this year. My guess is that they’ve also seen significant donation increases due to his success.

I wonder what the buyout is? I think that will be pretty telling on if he’s staying or not.

• I think he stays at Tech. There is no pressure there to win and he has shown he can recruit well there and obviously win at a high level. Going to Texas he is going to have to produce and deal with unrealistic expectations every year. I am also not sure Texas is willing to make the kind of commitment to basketball that it would take to get him there. They haven’t yet or ever. I personally hope he stays at Tech. He seems like a really good fit there, and will only make KU and the league better.

• 4th highest paid coach behind Calimari, Kchebehciiebshsski, and Barnes.

• @Kcmatt7

It’s a great move and expected after the year he had. So far he’s been a very likeable guy in the Big-12 unlike some. Hopefully he can sustain what he’s building. It looks like he’ll have an extremely young roster for the first time in Lubbock.

@Woodrow

I agree great fit and not a ton of local pressure.

• Right now, at KU, would we rather have Self for the next 10 years, or Beard?

• HighEliteMajor said:

Right now, at KU, would we rather have Self for the next 10 years, or Beard?

u should know the ? bill

• HighEliteMajor said:

I’ll stay with Self for the next 10 yrs

• Self lifetime contract. Last year was rough to say the least, and KU doesn’t need fair weathered fans.

• HighEliteMajor said:

I think its a valid question. I’d like Self to go to Vegas and renew his marriage vows to Defense. If he can find that sweet spot of Bill Self circa 2006-2012, I would not be wondering “what if?” about Beard.

If Dotson stays, then it’s easy to see Dotson, Ochai and Dave as an excellent foundational class to get there.

• @rockchalkwyo KU also needs fans that are NOT OK with 10+ losses.

The jersey says KANSAS - we expect greatness.

• @nuleafjhawk Yes absolutely! I’m right there with you, but to say Self needs to leave (or at least hint at it) is total BS. If the Big 12 title streak was broken, and/or this not so stellar season happened say 5 years ago, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Instead we would say “14 out of 16 seasons under Self we’ve won the Big 12”

By the way I’m not at all trying to sound disrespectful to anyone. I’m just stating my opinion.

• @rockchalkwyo No, I didn’t take it that way - I just have very high expectations for KU basketball (and hopefully KU football soon!). Rock Chalk!

• @HighEliteMajor

It is odd… giving millions of bills every year to receive just one Bill. 😉

• drgnslayr said:

@HighEliteMajor

It is odd… giving millions of bills every year to receive just one Bill. 😉

It may be odd, but it is soooooo worth it💎

• It’s not heresy to discuss whether another coach might do a better job here than Self. For many years I’ve held the position that there would be no better coach here than Bill Self. I would offer that a better choice now, for the next 10 years, could very well be Chris Beard – could be.

Bill Self was at the helm, in charge, a “buck stops here” kind of thing, during this entire FBI/Adidas mess.

I don’t know, it’s just off season (irrelevant) discussion I guess. I think it goes to Self’s value that it’s very, very hard to come up with a guy we’d take over Self right now, for the next 10 years. I have faith in the guy from a BB perspective. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think that another guy (Chris Beard) might have the chance to take our program to greater heights. Beard seems like that guy to me.

Smart money, though, usually sticks with the proven product. But to reach great heights, a great gamble is sometimes warranted. It’s an interesting consideration, at least from where I sit (given the FBI/Adidas mess we’re in).

@rockchalkwyo I tend to think that citing conference titles as a primary argument is a flawed approach. I personally don’t care about that … just my opinion. In fact, if we get two NCAA titles in the next five seasons for so, I don’t care if we win the conference one time. I’m glad the streak is over, and glad that distraction is now done.

• @HighEliteMajor I think that it is a very debatable question. I would stay with Self if we had the option for Beard to come in tomorrow. That being said I would hope if Self leaves in the near future, that Beard is Longs first phone call, at least at this moment. The question is can Beard keep Tech at the top? He has flipped the script in Lubbock, in 3 short years and deserves a ton of credit for doing so. Self is the better option because he has kept us at the top tier of CBB, maybe even moved us up a notch by winning the NC in 2008. This past season was a let down, all we did was win 26 games, finish 3rd in the conference and make the second round of the NCAAs. There’s only about 5 maybe 6 schools that wouldn’t be okay with those results and Beard has never been at said schools. Self has probably seen and dealt with more as a head coach than Beard will for a few years. When you start winning you have to deal with more boosters, fans, and when you start recruiting and getting better players you have to deal with egos and parents as well.