Emporia State EXI

• HawkChamp said:

@BeddieKU23 +1000. Like I said last night, we go through the same thing every year. Play like crap to start the year, then really get rolling once conference play starts. This team will be fine, just needs some time to gel and learn how to play together.

This group will definitely be a work in progress but I was hoping we’d see flashes of the talent out there and we did. It’s a big, athletic team and I can’t wait to see what they morph into as it gets going

• @mayjay

It is more likely to be a slow Internet connection. Are you on wireless/wi-fi or wired? If you are on wi-fi try using the 5G frequency instead of the 2.4G. Here is a good write up on the subject. if you are on wi-fi and your rate is not good because of distance from router or interference, try a am Internet power line adapter that moves the signal over power lines and you will see a considerably higher transmission rate. I use a power line adapter to connect a repeater (second router) to the main router and works great.

• Quote from Self - “We didn’t run anything and we won’t on Thursday, just to try to save some crutches maybe for the early games,” Self said.

• @KUSTEVE No, I have Spectrum. I could use my Samsung Smart TV to watch games but I do it on my phone ytobavoid interspousal annoyance. Sometimes my phone is just fine, but it is possible the app wasn’t activated properly until after it was closed down last night.

My brother had one and has now signed up for cable. I looked into it but almost egerything we watch, except Amazon Prime, is on network or main cable. Looked at Netfix but their shows haven’t interested me.

• @JayHawkFanToo Signal is fine. I am on 5G with my phone. Only 10 feet from antenna. I am pretty sure it was my phone (Samsung S5) because I was able to stream other apps just fine. I should have just rebooted it because it gets quirky sometimes. But thanks for the suggestion!

• mayjay said:

@JayHawkFanToo Signal is fine. I am on 5G with my phone. Only 10 feet from antenna. I am pretty sure it was my phone (Samsung S5) because I was able to stream other apps just fine. I should have just rebooted it because it gets quirky sometimes. But thanks for the suggestion!

Phones can definitely have issues loading particular sites. I still have a pretty old phone (like 5 years, lol) so I run into a lot of issues there.

• @mayjay

You can sit next to the router and still have crappy transmission rates, it depends on how your router and phones are configured or how much bandwidth the ISP is actually delivering.

You can go to www.speedtest.net and run a test and you will have actual numbers for download and upload even whe I believe the test gives you inflated numbers. Your Samsung S5 has a utility that does the same things and actually is pretty good.

One time I was uploading gigs of data to my Amazon Cloud and I noticed very slow rates, I run the test and showed 7 Mbps where it should have been 100 Mbps. I called Consolidated and after checking I was told that my entire neighborhood had been slow due to defective equipment and nobody had complained. Another time I was told my account had been accidentally downgraded to the lowest speed and the idiot tech. kept telling me that it was the correct speed; it took a supervisor to admit his tech was a moron and I was correct. Often enough people don’t know how fast their connection should be and pay for a lot more than they actually get

• @BShark I know you’ll disagree with me on this, but this is who I think Dedric resembles more than Niang: No doubt KD is a better 3 point shooter, but the resemblance is very similar.

• @mayjay The benefit of the ROKU is you get the full screen on your tv. I was really impressed with the quality of the picture as well. I had canceled ESPN + until I found out the two exhibition games were only available through them, so i relented.

• @JayHawkFanToo I test my speeds periodically because I noticed about 24 months ago that they slowed to a crawl every evening. They oddly stopped slowing down since a particular IT guy neighbor moved away 23 months ago!

• @KUSTEVE You are right I do disagree with that. I don’t think he is nearly the athlete Durant is. Plus Dedric is bulkier.

• Shorter and worse-shooting Dirk Nowitzki. They both have the old-man game. They both can’t jump over a phone book. They both fill the heck out of the stat sheet.

• @BShark No doubt Durant is more athletic…quicker step…better shot. But Dedric is KD in slow motion. Same inside out game, same drives the basket, and Dedric is probably a better rebounder.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich That’s a good comparison, too.

• Man, Doty can coach. Was looking into him a bit more. After his 4 year stint at Rock Valley (not great first year but then 3 straight 30+ win seasons, 2 titles and a title game loss) he moved on to Graceland U (in Iowa) where in his 2nd year they won the NAIA title, their first ever appearance in that tournament in the history of their school.

Hell of a hire by ESU. Not sure they will be able to keep him.

• It was interesting to think that our best 3 pt shooters could be all of our big men. Dotson and Grimes driving and dishing to the Lawsons and Mitch. I think Charlie needs to settle into a role, Dotson was clearly better in my opinion. Moore- focus on open 3’s and the sometimes drive and dish.

• Also Big Dave could use some flexibility training.

• @JayhawksandChill The word from teammates during summer pickup games was that Charlie Moore was deadly from 3. I wonder if we’ll see Coach Self play Dotson at point with Grimes and Moore on the floor. Charlie would take on the role that Svi had of spot up 3 pt. shooter.

• JayhawksandChill said:

It was interesting to think that our best 3 pt shooters could be all of our big men. Dotson and Grimes driving and dishing to the Lawsons and Mitch. I think Charlie needs to settle into a role, Dotson was clearly better in my opinion. Moore- focus on open 3’s and the sometimes drive and dish.

I think Grimes will be good from deep, he just needs to let them fly. Vick will be fine to, just an off night.

Agree with you on the pg spot. Devon is clearly the guy.

RE Dave I think his biggest issue is that his adrenaline was at 11. Hopefully he is more settled down and flashes some of his game against Washburn.

• stoptheflop said:

@JayhawksandChill The word from teammates during summer pickup games was that Charlie Moore was deadly from 3. I wonder if we’ll see Coach Self play Dotson at point with Grimes and Moore on the floor. Charlie would take on the role that Svi had of spot up 3 pt. shooter.

The issue is hiding Charlie defensively. Kid definitely has range.

• I think the guy that clearly looked the worst was Doke. Watched the game again … he seemed completely out of sync the entire night. Almost like he needed to be a bit more deliberate. The amount of panic he showed when doubled was surprising, because in the past, he’s handled that ok. But that can be a point of emphasis now in practice. Still, the guy I’m most excited about is Vick. He’ll be our best three point shooter, I think, by both percentage and volume. Trusting that coming back in the manner he did has him laser focused.

Odd, but I just noticed that Carlton Bragg is at New Mexico. I guess I missed that.

• @HighEliteMajor Yeah, he transferred twice. Hoping for him that he has his head on right. Has the talent to play pro ball somewhere (not really NBA).

• @HighEliteMajor Did you watch Self’s comments about Dok’s free throws (he missed both)? He likened it to golf. Said Dok has been doing great in practice, made 19 0f 20 on Wednesday I think. Self says it is like the difference between hitting your shots on a range compared to having to hit it over water. The pressure makes a huge difference. But he says he expects Dok will hit 65% as he gets more comfortable.

• @mayjay I’m gonna have to see it to believe it. I did hear that, said he needs to see first one go in. That 2nd one 'bout stuck in the side.🙄

• @Crimsonorblue22 Yes, I am sure there was so much spin in his comments that the official keepers of Earth time will need to add a full second to the day.