Doke

• @FarmerJayhawk Well said, I hope Doke returns too. More options is a good thing. I trust Self to figure out rotations and situational line-ups.

• Doke has become more like Landen in many ways. He gives you some big tangibles in the paint. We all know his FTs need work, but this off season will provide FT time. His footwork in the paint and around the rim is so improved. He’s not flashy or a short range shooter, but he provided big minutes and rebounds that we otherwise lost games.

Big Dave is going to have a learning curve just like Doke. I see him being foul prone. I do see DLaw and Silvio becoming pick and pop 4s. Doke and Dave can work the paint. Doke needed a lot of rest in many games, but we just didn’t have the bigs and Big Dave will be an added relief. Meeotch is that glue that has carried the big man torch from LL, and is now passing it on to Doke and Big Dave. I like Meeotch sticking around as the big man glue and I credit him for coaching up Doke and Silvio. Our front court will finally have much needed depth and we won’t have to rely on our back court to guard bigs. We were fortunate against Puke and it ran out against Nova. I see DLaw and Silvio matching much better with the Spellmans and the Paschalls. I see DLaw and Silvio being match-up nightmares.

• @BShark

Better add “FT %” under negatives.

I don’t see Doke leaving. Testing the waters? Maybe.

He is such a long ways from being NBA-ready.

• @drgnslayr To be fair the ft line is more than two feet away from the basket. 😉

• All jokes aside, what is the deal with Doke and his abysmal shooting stroke? Jo Jo has a great stroke. De Sousa has shocked me with how great his form is and how confident he appears at the FT line. Do any of you guys know what the deal is and can it be fixed? Are Doke’s hands significantly larger than these other guys who are 7 feet tall? He would be a monster on offense if he could just develop into a guy who could hit an 8 foot jump shot and shoot 65% from the line.

• Doke = Shaq, completely useless outside of 5 feet from the hoop. I see no chance of him going to the nba at this point in time, true bigs have already gone to the wayside in the league.

• @joeloveshawks I think Doke needs to work on Free throws, but other than that he needs to really just work on his body and athleticism. Offensively, he is an advanced stats dream in the post. He only dunks the ball. There have been a lot of NBA players with less offensive skill than him.

What he needs to work on is his lower body and athleticism. He needs to be able to guard another 7-footer out to the 3pt line, as we saw. If he can do that, his value sky rockets.

I think part of this will come naturally. At 18, Doke still doesn’t have his “man body” where all his limbs work together. I saw several times this year where he looked like a baby dear trying to walk. I think just him developing into a grown ass man will help him with coordination both defensively and perhaps even shooting free throws…

• Now I know guys sounds crazy , don’t ask me what the site was - -it was just another KU site that happen to be on face book. - -Several KU boards show up there. - However and I thought wow a guy posted on there that they had seen where Doke was a late 1st round pick - -Vick was a high 2nd round pick and then Newman was a late 2nd round pick - that sounds crazy as all get out. - -Again I surpose I could go back to my face boo and see if I can find the group but has anyone else seen this BS ? - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• If any of our guys but Devonte go in the first I’ll eat my shoes. Love them, but we didn’t have NBA talent this year.

• @FarmerJayhawk I want to watch!

• @Statmachine I’ll FB Live it or something then 😂.

• As far as the Subject of Doke. If I were a NBA GM #1 Doke’s conditioning is not good. He could only average 20 something mpg. He wouldnt fair well in back to back games and he is too heavy. His weight adds to being injured. #2 Doesnt rebound at a NBA level. #3 no outside game. #4 no midrange game. #5 free throws. He has a lot of work to do and wouldnt make the roster at the end of the summer on any NBA team. There are a lot of free agents who I would rather have on my team if it were my money.

• @FarmerJayhawk Newman is going to be the first Jayhawk drafted most likely. He could be a late 1st rounder too according to some mocks now.

Svi is intriguing as an NBA prospect because he’s still only 20 years old and would be 21 when the draft happens. That’s still young enough to be a potential late 1st round draft and stash player. I really wouldn’t be too shocked if Graham ended up being the 3rd KU player taken in the draft this year.

• FarmerJayhawk said:

If any of our guys but Devonte go in the first I’ll eat my shoes. Love them, but we didn’t have NBA talent this year.

Your shoes? or the players? 😖

• mayjay said:

FarmerJayhawk said:

If any of our guys but Devonte go in the first I’ll eat my shoes. Love them, but we didn’t have NBA talent this year.

Your shoes? or the players? 😖 OUCH 🤦🏼

• @Texas-Hawk-10

I agree. Malik helped himself immensely in the later part of the season and post season and it would not surprise me if he is drafted in the first round. Also agree that Svi has more room to grow than a Devonté. Having said that, Devonté is an intriguing player with experience that could step in and play right away much like Mason is doing at Sacramento.

• @Statmachine

Your post is right on the money. Doke needs at least one more year in college (the focus on “at least”).

He has three super-positive attributes, making him worthy to pursue the NBA:

1. Size

2. Improves Quickly

3. Attitude

I don’t think people give him the credit he deserves for how quickly he changed his body over the past year.

If you really want to be shocked, view some recent game footage of him (before he was injured) and compare that with his footage before coming to Lawrence. He’s still adjusting to his new body, and his new body is still improving dramatically!

I am thinking he will stay for one more year. I’d love to see him stay 2 years to rocket to the top of the draft boards, but who knows… maybe he can get there in 1 year!

• @JayHawkFanToo

What is key for Devonte is to find the right pro situation. The right team… owners… coaches… and of course, the right situation.

He will have to raise his level of play and to hold that level consistently. I think he can use quite a bit of work on his defense… crossovers… etc.

• @drgnslayr I think we all give him the credit he deserves. He has made some major strides. That being said after all of the improvement he has made he is still a one dimensional player.

I heard someone talk about Embiid, and Simmons before the season started. They said that Embiid and Simmons were like a one hit wonder at this stage in their career . They could get out there and be GREAT for a couple songs BUT Golden State was like a headliner band that could play all night long and everyone would be able to sing every song they played.

Doke might be able to play the cowbell for one of these bands BUT could easily be replaced any day of the week by a Jahlil Okafor or any other Free Agent.

• @drgnslayr

As long as it is not Sacramento, Phoenix or Memphis which appear to be the bottom franchises and where KU players seem to land. 😧

• @Statmachine

I agree. Doke is right now a one dimensional player and his particular dimension is one that is being phased out. He needs to develop a mid range game and become better at rebounding since he is a below average rebounder for his size. He can probably improve both playing an extra year in college otherwise he will be playing overseas.

• @Statmachine

Agreed. There are many one-dimensional players in the league, but their one dimension is so strong they can be used to just work their one big thing.

Players wanting into the league should bring in several skills if they hope to make it and see a lot of floor time. Contrary to what many think, defense is played in the NBA. It’s just the fact that players/teams have mastered so much offense that it tends to dominate the game, and the league wants to see plenty of offense, too, so seats get filled. Adding in a 3-pt perimeter line was all about bringing more offense, by adding a point and helping spread out defenses. Imagine the game without the trey now? We would look at it as ugly play, mostly in the post. A lot bigger players with limited handles, smashing it up in the paint.

Doke has a long long ways to go to be pro ready. But on the bright side, he seems to be a fast learner and is dedicated to the game. I never thought he would be this good at the end of the year. He has come so far, so fast! Still… a long ways to go.

In my book, it would be nuts if he left this year… but I’ve usually guessed wrong about players. I expect him to be a very improved player by next fall. I believe he will work out his form on a shot, so he will be improved at the FT line, and also be able to hit mid-range shots. Hopefully, he will learn more tools for his chest, like how to keep his big body between the defender and the ball and his shot.

He needs to learn how to better use his lower body to battle for rebound position. He has the size needed, but just hasn’t acquired that skill yet of bending his knees, lowering his center of gravity, and then pushing with his butt while keeping his arms wide to prevent anyone slipping by him for a rebound. This same skill will come in handy when trying to establish himself in the low post on offense.

I hope he stays. It will be good for us and him. I’m excited to imagine him back next year and can’t wait to see all the improvements he brings with him!

• I think it would probably be best for Doke if he stayed but I could also see him wanting to start getting paid so he can move his mom out of Nigeria.

• @Statmachine Embiid has never been a 1 dimensional player. At least not since he was at KU. Dude has been dripping with talent in multiple phases of the game since his Frosh year.