ESPN MANUFACTURES FAKE STORY TO AFFECT AZ/DUX GAME OUTCOME?

• Arizona having a press conference soon.

Reading Arizona’s board it seems the President and Boosters are behind Miller and sounds as if he’s going to be reinstated with some new terms in his contract… A day ago it seemed as if he would be fired and that could still be the case but there seems to be more support to keep him then it looks

• @JayHawkFanToo Actually, those charges happen more often than you think. Usually it is the result of having credible witnesses to the crime but the physical evidence is in the hands of, and belongs to, the alleged perpetrator. Bringing the charges ensures that if the evidence gets destroyed by the accused he can then be prosecuted for obstruction of justice. Independently of the underlying crime.

You might say they can get the evidence using a search warrant, but there might not be any ability to narrow down the places it could be.

I have no idea what happened with the Gov, but I have seen cases brought where the perp took pictures without consent and then bragged about them and showed them to people. Finding posts of the pics on the internet made taking the pictures chargeable even without the originals or the camera.

• Miller will remain the Arizona coach it seems.

Still a board of regents meeting this afternoon.

But they definitely gave Miller a platform to set the record straight

• @BeddieKU23 i think they’ll let him go at the end of the year anyway. Too much fall out from the Book Richardson scandal, along with the Trier drug thing. Even if the “bribery story” falls apart, he has one too many strikes against him to stay in place, imo.

• KUSTEVE said:

@BeddieKU23 i think they’ll let him go at the end of the year anyway. Too much fall out from the Book Richardson scandal, along with the Trier drug thing. Even if the “bribery story” falls apart, he has one too many strikes against him to stay in place, imo.

Agreed it’s not over for him

• @mayjay

The only problem is that the photo in question was never published and nobody has ever seen it.

• @JayHawkFanToo Did he deny taking it?

• @mayjay

Yes, he indicated that he will be vindicated…but then, everybody does so nothing new there.

• Trier magically played last night as well. Can’t make this up.

• "Let me be very, very clear: I have never discussed with Christian Dawkins paying Deandre Ayton to attend the University of Arizona," Miller said prior to the game. "In fact, I never even met or spoke to Christian Dawkins until after Deandre publicly announced that he was coming to our school. Any reporting to the contrary is inaccurate, false and defamatory. I’m outraged by the media statements that have been made and the acceptance by many that these statements were true. There was no such conversation."

• @BeddieKU23 No, you can’t make it up. If they actually had Trier to rights, why would they let him play again? So, the appeal worked. A lot of really weird events happening around Arizona all at once …doesn’t this all seem very, very strange?

• @KUSTEVE What if they aren’t connected but are parallel events? And what if the NCAA made a little deal with Trier for some inside info on the program?

I think it more likely that those issues we previously discussed on the drug test played a role. He has been subjected to random unannounced tests, and these were only trace amounts. Now they are saying of an undisclosed drug, which may be a change or just a slight backing away to protect him from further public speculation.

On Stumpy, I was awaiting a ten million dollar libel suit. If he is innocent, that would have been the logical step (it should have been filed on Monday when the court opened) and ESPN would have had to make a complete retraction and apology (might not stop a suit, though), or reveal its source in discovery or face sanctions including a possible default judgment.

When someone doesn’t sue when they are so “outraged” I always stay skeptical of their unwillingness to have discovery served on them. Phone records? Calendars? Emails? Texts? Usually a treasure trove of interesting info.

• KUSTEVE said:

@BeddieKU23 No, you can’t make it up. If they actually had Trier to rights, why would they let him play again? So, the appeal worked. A lot of really weird events happening around Arizona all at once …doesn’t this all seem very, very strange?

If there is one thing I don’t understand its how the NCAA works.

I mean Preston is playing in freaking Bosnia because they couldn’t rule on his eligibility. Rant over regarding KU.

With Trier, in my personal opinion I don’t believe he’s innocent. Further diving into the drug that he was suspended for, the first time around, it just points to a plot to gain an edge. You don’t stumble upon this at Rite Aid or Walgreen’s. I don’t buy his innocence in this. I don’t have all the facts on this 2nd suspension for it magically appearing in trace amounts in his body again. I’m surprised how quickly it was resolved though. Maybe he’s innocent but I’m not buying it with what is currently available for information.

We do agree that the events surrounding Arizona are weird. We’ll likely have to wait a while to see how this all plays out. I have a feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg

• @mayjay I have no doubt the libel suit is coming. Timing is everything. We are a little over a week away from Selection Sunday. To say that he would’ve immediately dropped everything, and filed the suit if he was innocent, and a victim of a smear is somewhat presumptuous on your part, imo.

• @KUSTEVE I am still awaiting the complete story from BP’s mom.

Not presumptuous at all. Remember, he spent all weekend and half of this week not coaching. Just being outraged. I assure you he spent far more time this week with his lawyers than would have been necessary to get a lawsuit ginned up. What, a five page complaint with a couple of affidavits affirming the factual basis and service on the defendants? If he was innocent, truly innocent, any attorney with experience in federal court could have drafted that in 2 hours.

• @mayjay Once again, Selection Sunday is 9 days away. Does AZ or Stubby want the publicity of filing a 10 million dollar lawsuit against ESPN being the headlines right now? I guarantee you there will be a libel suit filed over this, but it won’t happen until after the NCAA tournament.

• @KUSTEVE If he’s innocent hell yes he files immediately in an attempt to shine the light on ESPN and not AZ. Maybe Stumpy is innocent in this and doesn’t want something else found out? Maybe he’s not completely innocent, but it didn’t go down as reported. And here’s the least likely one, maybe he’s completely innocent.

• @mayjay I’m kind of with @KUSTEVE on this one. If anything is being done at the moment, it is ESPN and Miller’s lawyers talking about a settlement deal.

I wouldn’t expect a filed Lawsuit until the summer. But as @mayjay points out, that is IF a lawsuit is ever filed. I would agree that I don’t think one will ever get filed. I do not think Miller is clean. I do not think he would want anyone combing through his life. Therefore, I do not think that this will ever be followed through.

It would be damn near impossible to actually prove that he did anything though. I’m sure by now that every single dirty coach in America has purged their computer, laundered their money, work only on burner phones and don’t do anything that isn’t in person anymore. I’m not sure that the FBI actually stopped top recruits from getting paid. I think they may have just reminded everyone to be more careful about it.

• @dylans I’ve said all along, I think he’s dirty. And I have no doubt he won’t be coaching AZ next year. I object to an obviously fake story designed to take him out.

• @mayjay

I am with @KUSTEVE. A law suit at this time would bring on so much attention that it would seriously affect the team which despite the distractions, still has a lot of talent and good enough to be selected pre-season #1. Lots of time to file afterwards and add additional charges if the team does not do well and the distraction caused by the article is blamed for it.

• ESPN does not appear to be backing down.

• @BShark They also have changed the story twice.

• @KUSTEVE ESPN does continue to say they stand by the reports. Not that it means anything, but they must have a source the REAAALLY trust to produce evidence if something were to happen.

• While we’re talking “maybes” here…

How’s this?

Let’s say the whole thing went down as reported. And then suddenly Nike steps in behind the scenes and basically tells the NCAA that this needs to just go away. Nike is big… And tell me they cant get their way on things. What if they said “fix this or we pull out of college sports completely”. Miller vindicated, Ayton, Trier, Arizona vindicated. If there isn’t a defamation suit before this is all done I think it would further support this idea or a similar happening behind the scenes.

• @cragarhawk

I really don’t think this is feasible scenario. Nike does not have a contract with the NCAA that I know but it has legally binding contracts with lots of schools it cannot break. Nike is probably lying low because they are probably next; no way Adidas is in this alone.