NFL Draft

• Guys now don’t hammer me BUT was watching the NFL Draft and Joe Mixon was drafted by Cincinnati. As we ALL know Joe Mixon is a guy that busted the woman in the face his freshman year and broke 4 bones in her face. Now that was in 2014 , he was suspended the entire year , had to take anger management classes and the civil suit has been settled.

SO, my question is - - WHY did ESPN feel it necessary to show the film from 2014 of Joe Mixon hitting this woman? - -DAMM right he was wrong , and he got everything he deserved maybe needed more BUT why does this station feel the need to show that on his draft night? some thing that happened three years ago and he has dealt with?

I’m not trying to justify his actions by ANY MEANS - -but I just don’t get ESPN judgement. - -I mean all they saying OH Cincinnati going to have to deal with this now, Joe is going have to answer to the media. – -I wouldn’t - -I wouldn’t answer shit. - -I made the mistake , I paid for the mistake - -they have settled the case So why you wanna drag this shit back up? - they didn’t want to talk about his football talent, just drag up things - -guess it’s just me I don’t understand -Hell 4 picks later they still talking about it - -get off that crap move on. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54 As far as I am concerned, no problem with that choice. If they didn’t show it, people would have accused ESPN of glossing it over. Lots of fans want their teams to avoid players with abuse histories, and stats about abusers tend to indicate that such things get repeated in the future. In the old days, athletes got away with almost everything. Nowadays, that is being corrected, but of course more slowly at Baylor.

Prepare yourself for the Josh Jackson charges to be brought up on NBA draft night. People earn their notoriety for things like this. It is up to him to earn a more positive rep in the future.

• It’s as Jason Whitlock has said, ESPN has moved to the strict politically correct side of things, and anything that is race-baiting, or gender invoking is worthy of sensationalism at ESPN. Showing the video on draft night is just that. Of course, they also did a special with Ray Rice and his wife right at draft time. A pathetic spectacle to be sure – but that’s what ESPN does. It is also interesting how news outlets bring in folks that have nothing to do with sports to comment and express outrage. Here’s the best solution. Watch NFL Network.

• Additional info: Based on this October 2016 incident, the “victim of unfair press” Mixon may not be such a changed man after all. He was suspended a game for this one:

Joe Mixon was so frustrated with a parking citation that he tore up the ticket in front of the parking attendant and threw it at the parking attendant.

Mixon reportedly approached the parking attendant right after the citation was written.

“Don’t put that shi*t in my face,” Mixon told the attendant, the incident report states.

Mixon then ripped the citation in half and threw it at the parking attendant.

According to the incident report, the torn pieces hit the parking attendant in the face.

Mixon then got into his vehicle and “inched at the officer with vehicle in drive to intimidate the officer with vehicle,” the report details.

“I regret that I did not respond appropriately to parking attendants and understand and accept the consequences,” Mixon said in a statement earlier this week.

http://kfor.com/2016/11/04/documents-detail-altercation-between-ous-joe-mixon-and-parking-attendant/

• @mayjay Glad he doesn’t play for my team.

• Just so we’re clear, I personally don’t think he’s the “victim of unfair press”. He did what he did. I have no empathy for him. I think he’s a punk, personally (that’s my maybe unfair judgment from afar). My issue is that me, as viewer, has sensationalistic stuff put in my face all the time. That’s my issue. I just get tired of the rehash of old news, and then to @jayballer54’s point, they show the video again and again. If they simply mention the incident, discuss how that impacted his draft status, and move on, that seems reasonable. They show the video because it’s shocking.

It’s interesting that the “outrage” ESPN is worried about in Cincinnati will be generated in significantly large measure by the press. Were the Chiefs deluged with objections to Tyreek Hill by paying customers? They weren’t. It was a continued issue for the KC Star and other news outlets. They create the story, they go find some person working at woman’s shelter who doesn’t know anything about football to comment as an “expert” on domestic violence and express their outrage.

Here’s the trash the KC Star ran on the day Kansas City played Pittsburg in the playoffs. KC Star - Tyreek Hill.

It’s not that it should be ignored as an issue. It’s timing, the nature of the “reporting”, and clear intent to sensationalize a topic. There is absolutely nothing new, but in a paper that can barely muster a reasonable sports page, this took up multiple column inches. ESPN does the same thing. Yes ESPN will glorify a player like Kaepernick on a topic that really does drive away paying customers.

And in considering the issue, if I were an NFL GM, I would not have drafted Hill or Mixon, and I would not have sought to sign Ray Rice. I would not be interested in bringing that to my team.

My point is more how the sports press deals with this topic and others.

• Does anyone believe that these are the only two times he has done this? I am sure if you look deeper you will see a pattern that goes back to when he showed he could run over player by virtue of brute physical characteristics. Amazing that the team that had to deal with one Pacman Jones would select him.

Amazing and sad what has happened to our society where brawn is held in higher esteem than brains. This is the one thing I liked about the old Soviet Union where scientists were more respected than athletes and the older the more respect the received as experience was considered a positive thing and not a negative as our society, who worships youth and physical strength, does.

• Mixon pulled his “get-out-of-harassing-and-punching-a-gay-woman-in-the-face-free!” card. You only get one of those. Let’s get him back on the field where he’s encouraged to assault other humans.

Edit: I guess I misread. The woman wasn’t gay, Mixon called her friend a faggot. And apparently he was accused of punching some girl before in high school as well. And he’s an RB. So everything I said is a lie. Unless you consider smashing into someone as an RB assault. I’ll stick to my guns on that one.

• @JayHawkFanToo Commie …

• @mayjay Ya your right, and I understand this is something he is going to have to live with. I guess maybe it was just something I ate, or drank or I don’t know for some reason just when they brought that up right when his selection was announced thought was kind of petty on their part.

I mean they could of talked about it during like their wrap of the evening in eventful things that took place ya know- again I don’t know just thought for that ONE moment the moment a kid dreams about the first words they utter is this. To me that too is a little shaddy on ESPN part. They just kept going on and on saying there was like only 4 teams that thought about drafting him.

Since they brought it up and showed the incident - did you see it? Again he was absolutely 100% wrong no justification for what he did , BUT this woman pushes him slaps him I guess I have to ask why? - -Again he WAS WRONG. BUT he what I think paid for what he done suspended for the year, had a civil court action which has been settled, now time to move on. Just me. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @HighEliteMajor Very well said, maybe that’s what I was trying to bring forth, not so much as to what happened and being reported but the timing, and as you say " OLD NEWS " very well put thank you.

Again I by far am not trying to justify what he did - -there is no justification but ya. Thank you well said. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• He’s in Cincinnati. This is a team that signed Pacman Jones after all his BS and then drafted Burfict. The clearly don’t give a crap about a player’s off field issues. I read that supposedly only 4 teams even have Mixon on their draft board because of that video. In his interviews, he sounded sincere and was reportedly telling teams that he understood if they didn’t want to draft him, but hearing all this other stuff that’s coming out about him makes me believe that his agent or lawyer coached him up about how to approach those interviews to make himself draftable.

Does Hill have multiple domestic violence issues or is it just the one case? If it’s just the one case, then I can understand drafting a guy and having him on a tight leash with zero tolerance clause that lets the team cut a guy and void the rest of the contract if another incident happens, but with Mixon, there’s a pattern of that kind of behavior instead of it being an isolated incident.

• @HighEliteMajor FYI, I did not intend my sarcastic comment about Mixton being a press “victim” to be an inference about your first comment. I was trying to post an add-on to my first comment immediately after writing it, and two other posts slipped between my two. I only saw yours when I came back to the topic later.

• Ah man so many ways to go with this one?

First lets remember Kids watch the NFL draft. What ESPN did was uncalled for. I get Violence and Bad news brings in the paying Viewers. Yet is was in bad taste. It was pointless to show the video and merely showed how ESPN has become political correct and trying to make points instead of just reporting.

Second. Look I’m not going to defend this kid in what he did. I’m old school and believes a man should never strike a women. Yet this isn’t my world anymore. Plus there is a lot more to this story than is being told. This woman he knocked out and broke four bones in her face. Spit on him, called him a nigger, and slapped him. I once beat a man half to death for spitting on me at a poker game. Being spit on is a sure fire way of pissing someone off. Look I’m not condoning what Joe Mixon did. I’m not a young black man but if I was I think I might be tempted myself. Remember this woman was charged too.

However that isn’t the point. So many are calling and saying he should be punished by the NFL, and not even be drafted at all. I’m not on board with that all. Did the kid make a mistake? Sure he did, a big one. Yet we are a society of second chances. If the kid is bad news trust me, we will all known including the Bengals. Yet talking about sending the this kid and society a message for his crimes for something he has already served? Not a good idea. The kid was suspended for year of college ball for those of you that didn’t know.

Look I get the media wants to jump on stories, yet trying to hang the atrocities of our society on this kid? No not cool in anyway. This society was here long before this kid was even born.

And even worse you deny this kid who has did his time, only makes things. worse. Sure us old timers will stick to the code, “A man doesn’t hit a women” as the worst crime ever. However if you and the NFL set a precedent of punishing these would be Mixon’s for their abuse? Then were does the line go to next? Think about it. If you paint this as the worst crime a football player can do and punish him accordingly. What’s next. Hey if you move that line trust me it will be moved again. Then what? So if you get arrested for DUI the NFL should punish you? If you get caught stealing something the NFL should punish you? If you get caught cheating on your grades the NFL should punish you? I know you don’t believe me, yet trust me if you move that line of what is acceptable for punishment, then that line will be moved again, and again, and again. It all just depends on the flavor of the society. Mob rules.

I’m not defending this kid. I’m defending the process. If a kid does wrong and a team wants to take chance on them then let it be. Just don’t move that line, or one day you’ll wake up to watch a NFL game full of choir boys. Actually no you won’t, but you’ll tell stories about how the game of football was once a modern day of gladiators. Then you will complain about having no sports where men can be men.

Well unless you like Hockey?

• @DoubleDD I dont know this kid, nor do I want to know him. There are the gladiators on the gridiron and there is my world, and never the twain shall meet.

My 7 year old kid was playing basketball on the blacktop when a football player kid tackled him and broke his foot a couple months ago. Before I had back problems I was playing pickup when the guy guarding me, a football player, came up behind me and pulled me down while I was shooting. My back has been downhill since. I have a pretty negative opinion about the mindset it takes to play football, hard to be cool with it. Not sure how these guys can be violent on the field and peaceful off of it. But, I understand gladiatorial sports and their appeal. Every culture has it’s bloodletting.

• kansascity​.com >> KU football players Brandon Stewart, Fish Smithson sign deals as undrafted free agents buzztap.com/-W7okdw

• I reread and edited what I posted earlier. Sorry about disrespecting football. I have my opinions, but I acknowledge that they are biased, probably unfairly, and I know there are lots of decent people that play football and can keep their aggression in check off the field.

• I’d say if a man doesn’t want a video of himself punching a woman (or anyone) to be played on TV, then don’t punch anyone. It’s pretty darn simple.

• dylans said:

I’d say if a man doesn’t want a video of himself punching a woman (or anyone) to be played on TV, then don’t punch anyone. It’s pretty darn simple.

Amen. Really it’s not that hard.

• @jayballer54 I don’t know football but I read briefly on KC’s 10th pick. Solid QB being compared to Farve at the same stage in his career. Sounds exciting to me. I hope the kid pans out for KC. Best QB draft prospect at KC for how many years?? Surely more than 35. Did Len Dawson get drafted by KC?

Looks like your connection to KU Buckets was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.