Zeke Mayo

• @Bosthawk

The latest is that Elmarko is expected back and Mari would be leaving. Still could change since perhaps some exit interviews are happening

• @BeddieKU23 Thanks - I hope Elmarko stays- I thank he’s going to be a stud starting next year… … what’s the consensus on Hunter leaving or staying?

• I think this is a decent get

• Love the commit.— heard he is a bucket maker , hits tough shots. -Great start to the Poral. - -So where do we go next - - or can we- -if we got anymore open sure would like anothr front line - -would love Cliff but probably not - -dam , anyways maybe another guard for some depth ?

• Liam doesn’t look like he’s having much fun tonight.

• Boy with Harper and the other dude, they got themselves a sweet little tandom

• The youtube highlights are encouraging

• @approxinfinity said in Zeke Mayo:

The youtube highlights are encouraging

Bill signed two step back jumper guys, is he learning???

• @BShark

Sounds like it, hopefully not done either.

• @BShark Yes- arguably the most under-utilized shot in college- the open space pull up jumper. I saw Elmarko do a couple of those successfully this year.

• @Bosthawk said in Zeke Mayo:

@BShark Yes- arguably the most under-utilized shot in college- the open space pull up jumper. I saw Elmarko do a couple of those successfully this year.

To me it was the biggest issue with last year’s team. Kevin was the only guy that could create for himself consistently. Elmarko did flash it as you mentioned.

• I’m confused. He’s from Lawrence? Unless he’s advanced exponentially why did he not come to KU out of HS? My view is pump the brakes on the excitement. We’ve seen similar kids come to us, Yesufu and his ‘twin’ (I could never distinguish between them) had great mid major numbers and while they contributed a little, they couldn’t come close to matching their numbers in the minor leagues.

• I think the hesitancy is valid as the staff supposedly did have concerns about his athleticism, but seems like not enough to be a deal breaker. I agree with you for the most part and I personally wouldn’t expect him to become a starter, but think he can be a solid backup/secondary PG and spell Harris some mins without the offense suffering. If the only thing he does for the team is push elmarko to be better, I would slot this as a solid win.

• @wissox

According to 247 he was an unranked prospect in 2021 class. Tulsa was his best offer out of High School. Late bloomer, and given he wasn’t a highly ranked prospect we likely didn’t bother scouting him… Sometimes they fall through the cracks…

• @BeddieKU23 said in Zeke Mayo:

@wissox

According to 247 he was an unranked prospect in 2021 class. Tulsa was his best offer out of High School. Late bloomer, and given he wasn’t a highly ranked prospect we likely didn’t bother scouting him… Sometimes they fall through the cracks…

He was looked at, never did get a proper KU offer. This was a sore spot for awhile but clearly he got over it. This one almost happened last year.

• Big 12 is a step up from the Summit League. We had high hopes for Timberlake as well. People that look at shooting percentage and assume it translates, have never played the game. Every level change is an increase in game speed. Being sped up ruins the flow you are used to in your shot. I’d bet only the special ones can make the jump in levels seamlessly in one season. Let’s hope Mayo can!

• @BShark

Yupp I was giddy last year when you mentioned the smoke of him entering and possibly coming home

• @BigBad

Good thing there’s recent examples of Summit players jumping up and being successful.

• @BigBad The thing that stands out to me with Mayo compared to Timberlake is that Timby was really a catch and shoot guy only. Mayo isn’t the best ball handler but he at least has a nicer skill set that should help him. Don’t think he will be a world beater but hopefully better than Timberlake.

• @BShark

Agree… he can handle the ball and besides his ability to shoot the ball he should be another ball handler that can take pressure off Harris. Has over 300 assists in 3 years.

@BShark

Agree… he can handle the ball and besides his ability to shoot the ball he should be another ball handler that can take pressure off Harris. Has over 300 assists in 3 years.

Yeah not a PG at this level but as a secondary handler it’s all good

@BigBad

Good thing there’s recent examples of Summit players jumping up and being successful.

Mayo isn’t Abmas either. I do believe Mayo will do well in his role here, but I don’t expect Mayo him to duplicate what Abmas did for Texas this season.

• We are still searching out guards. I think Self is traumatized over how little depth we had this past year so he is going to go back to earlier recruiting strategies of signing extra depth. Remember back when we had too many guys with skills? It’s a balancing act. It’s also a crap shoot, depending on the future health of the team. I just hope he has a plan for these guys and not just trying to sign talent. He’s moving quickly in the portal. Not sure that’s a good or bad thing.

• Anyone hear anything more about our recruit offer with Darryn Peterson? #3 recruit of 2025, guard. He’s an Adidas NIL player and it has always been thought he would go to Kansas. His desire is to play PG… would Self run two PGs like he did before? He’s talented but is it a good idea to upset the apple cart for an OAD?

• @drgnslayr I doubt he’s in college next year. There was some talk about him reclassifying but then they came out and said it would be a redshirt year 1 since he’s too young to enter the 2025 draft. Theoretically that could change if they decide to at semester or something but this is trending toward a normal recruitment.