Wounded Jayhawks game thread

• We didn’t play that badly and played hard. Their freshman center hit some baskets like a guy who hits golf balls through a tree without touching anything. I think Dajuan did more than his part and Kevin was a little rusty but glad he was back. Hunter was dogged and swarmed for sure. We just had another 25 rebound game like the 26 against TT. KJ ends up away from the basket action and that is his main stat place. Elmarko got us into position to get a chance but we fell away at the end. Furphy is looking like he is not comfortable or confident right now.

• Well, was this game decided on the FT line? Pretty much the point difference. 6-8 vs 15-20. Other than the bitch slapping we took on the boards, the rest of the offensive stats are close.

• I can’t help but think of that TCU game that was decided at the end by Udeh. If we don’t win that game, this season seems a lot darker than it is right now.

This team seems wildly inconsistent – beating UConn and Houston and losing to KState and UCF. It’s hard to know how this all translates when we get to the tournament. I’d like to think we could win a couple rounds if we have reasonable matchups with teams outside of the B12, but who knows.

I would say our fate is largely dependent on the seeding and matchup.

• @bskeet I’m worried we could end up as a 4 seed. I feel like the 2s and 1s do much better open weekend than the 3s and the 4s historically.

• This breaks it down. Doesn’t include 2023 and Purdues first round embarassment. But I’m cool even with a 4 or 5 seed. If every seed played to form 5 seeds wouldn’t make it to the round of 16, but this shows even 5 seeds are over .500 in the 2nd round of the dance. The kryptonite for 4/5 seeds is the 3rd round where their records are well below .500, but magically their elite 8 record is above .500. But only one 4-5 seed has ever won it.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2023-02-07/records-every-seed-march-madness-1985-2022

• Something is clearly amiss with the team right now. We don’t see the typical KU toughness and poise, esp. in late game situations and hostile environments. There doesn’t seem to be the fire and passion we are used to seeing - no real leadership. I hate to say it, but this team seems…just soft…

On the other hand, we are the only team in the country who has beaten 3 of the top 4-6 teams in the country. Tennessee could end up as a 1 seed, which would mean we’ve already beaten 3 of the 4 #1 seeds. But, we’ve also lost to not very good teams and struggled to put away bad ones.

A first round exit would not be a surprise, nor would getting to the Elite 8. Just really difficult to see this team putting together a multi-game run against better competition at this point…

• Are we due for a little more tournament luck or did we use it all in 2022?

• @approxinfinity we’re due for sure. 22 kinda made up for the all time bad luck in 20

• I haven’t looked, but how does this team do against the point spread? Maybe that will tell us something about how we’re perceived or expected to play.

A very odd team as others have pointed out. For a while I felt we could have won the Baylor game.

• @rockchalkjayhawk I honestly felt a little better after the Baylor game. Several things didn’t go the Hawks way that game, yet they hung around and were in it to the end despite not being able to stop Baylor at all down the stretch.

• NCAA tourney is a different animal, anything can happen depending on matchups. Timeouts are longer for more rest.

KU can very easily make a run to FF.

I am optimistic.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Wounded Jayhawks game thread:

@approxinfinity we’re due for sure. 22 kinda made up for the all time bad luck in 20

I dunno. That 2020 team was one of my favorites. I still feel hollow about the sport. 2022 wasn’t even that great for me following the huge disappointment that was 2020.

While others are extremely pissed that KU is only a top 15 team, I’m pretty damn happy they’re doing this well with no horrendous baggage on the team. Winning with Arterio would just be gross. I’m glad I don’t have to rectify those feelings - good because KU won, bad because they won with no morals.

Maybe if 2020 didn’t happen I would be less apathetic, but I’m not going to get too worked up over a few losses. This team doesn’t have “it” so why put those expectations on them? Enjoy the ride.

• @dylans said in Wounded Jayhawks game thread:

@FarmerJayhawk said in Wounded Jayhawks game thread:

@approxinfinity we’re due for sure. 22 kinda made up for the all time bad luck in 20

I dunno. That 2020 team was one of my favorites. I still feel hollow about the sport. 2022 wasn’t even that great for me following the huge disappointment that was 2020.

While others are extremely pissed that KU is only a top 15 team, I’m pretty damn happy they’re doing this well with no horrendous baggage on the team. Winning with Arterio would just be gross. I’m glad I don’t have to rectify those feelings - good because KU won, bad because they won with no morals.

Maybe if 2020 didn’t happen I would be less apathetic, but I’m not going to get too worked up over a few losses. This team doesn’t have “it” so why put those expectations on them? Enjoy the ride.

Kinda what I’m thinking at this point. The guys have put a lot of doubt in the National media’s head, and other teams fan bases heads about us this Season, and with just ause. So actually there is not a lot of pressure like in other years cause of the way this season has played out. I actually feel like I might even be able to relax a little more cause even I’m not expecting a lot this year after how it’s played out every winwe happen to get in the post Season is all gravy. - Hell there is even a really good chance we are a 5 seed in the Big Twelve post season Conference tourney, can you imagine - - a five seed - that just means an extra day having to play - -so let it be written – so let it be done - - -ROCK CHALK, ONCE A HAWK - -ALWAYS A HAWK.

• @jayballer67 be the 5, slay the 1 in sweet 16, wear their crown.

• @approxinfinity said in Wounded Jayhawks game thread:

@jayballer67 be the 5, slay the 1 in sweet 16, wear their crown.

Noooo! There is at least one 5/12 upset. The NCAA would love for that to be a big name team (like KU).

• @approxinfinity said in Wounded Jayhawks game thread:

I was talking about being a 5 seed in the Big twelve post season tourney lol

• @Gorilla72 said in Wounded Jayhawks game thread:

@approxinfinity said in Wounded Jayhawks game thread:

Noooo! There is at least one 5/12 upset. The NCAA would love for that to be a big name team (like KU).

Like I was telling approx , I am talking about the Big 12 post Season Conference Tourney , not the NCAA’s. Last bracketology that I saw for the NCAA they still had us a a 3 seed - -not sure how that’s possible but they do

• Still just having a hard time of wrapping my head arounds some things said here. - -Wondering why is it that almost every College Peer I listen to and they talk about - just like I just heard another saying that and I quote from him (That there is NOT a better Coach in America without a doubt that’s better then teaching the game of Basketball and Coaching people then Bill Self ) - - -Hmmm and yet, we have one’s here that for some reason seem to think he is terrible Coaching and questions his decisions and he has favorites and plays them no matter what. - It seems to me that his peers that Coach against him and have interacted with him-- - and are around him in the Coaching circle just might know just a little more then other Couch potato Coach’s.-- I mean we know your team would NEVE lose a game because you NEVE make a bad decision from the Couch. -can’t quite grasp that I think I’ll stick with Coach Self and his ability to make the decisions, we all know him remember ? Our HOF Coach that we have loved for wht 21 years now - -must be doing something right. - -Ya Think ?

• Y’all are way more optimistic than me, that’s for sure. I’ll probably celebrate more than I ever have in the past if we win in the first round, I may go streaking lol.

• @kjayhawks said in Wounded Jayhawks game thread:

Y’all are way more optimistic than me, that’s for sure. I’ll probably celebrate more than I ever have in the past if we win in the first round, I may go streaking lol.

OH LORDIE - - PLEASE NO LMAO - -please no lol - - just messing with ya buddy

• Just remember tournament is on neutral courts whereas we have struggled on the road in hostile conditions.

Upsets happen all the time, other teams will have pressure too.

With senior leadership I am optimistic on our chances on neutral courts.

• @AsadZ Agree. This is why I think Timberlake is more important than most people think. His experience matters. He’s the kind of player that could make a difference in the first few rounds of the tournament.

But we will need him to stay hot like he was against KState in virtually every game going forward. I don’t think that’s asking a lot. I think that’s how he has performed in practices and it’s finally making its way to the game.

• We need the ole furphy back too. He’s giving us good minutes, driving, getting to the line, getting boards. D is so much better too. We just need some of his 3’s.

• @bskeet said in Wounded Jayhawks game thread:

@AsadZ Agree. This is why I think Timberlake is more important than most people think. His experience matters. He’s the kind of player that could make a difference in the first few rounds of the tournament.

But we will need him to stay hot like he was against KState in virtually every game going forward. I don’t think that’s asking a lot. I think that’s how he has performed in practices and it’s finally making its way to the game.

If they can run sets to free him up , get him open looks, might be good

• @Crimsonorblue22 regarding Furphy, as a freshman, you can’t really count on much in the tournament. He might be a huge factor one game and disappear the next. Typically the more experienced players are more consistent with less extreme lows. But this team has been inconsistent most of the year so not sure this logic applies.