BYU Thread

• @dylans I’m with @drgnslayr if we don’t have Hunter we aren’t making the NCAA tournament Zuby and Udeh both have looked terrible in the games I’ve watched. There averages combined x2 are still less than Hunters averages to date. I would be happy if one stayed instead of getting Parker.

• @BeddieKU23 I compared it to the cuse game during the game.

• @kjayhawks

I don’t think BYU wanted to foul Hunter as much as they did but it seemed to me it shifted to a coaching decision once he missed some and they were getting in his head. Also reminds me of when Kruger “Hack a Doke’d” KU @ OU a few years back, KU lost due to that strategy that night. Hunter shoots it better statistically but he’s missed plenty when we’ve needed him to focus and step up and Tuesday was no different. He’s been in an awful shooting slump since December.

• Hunter in conf play- 57% FT, 17% from 3, 51% FG. Yikes

• @BeddieKU23 said in BYU Thread:

Hunter in conf play- 57% FT, 17% from 3, 51% FG. Yikes

Yikes is right, he has just got to tighten the nutts and play like a man - -dam use that height & bulk to HIS ADVANTAGE makes these guys defend him. - -He needs to be like Choclate thunder use to be.–Remember him ? - when he went up to flush the ball he took it up and he said he dared others to challenge him, he said because the jam/flush time was HIS TIME and dared anyone to try and reject him - love that approach, Hunter needs that kind of mentality. Like if you wanna try and stop me then - -you better bring your lunch cause I’m coming and taking names. instead of some fluff boy. Get that mean streak in ya

• @kjayhawks I think you are mistaken, I have never said Hunter is anything but good for this team.

• I don’t buy the tired legs theories out there. These are young men in their primes. They only play two games per week! Come on. If this is really an issue with this team then they need a better strength and conditioning program.

• @RockkChalkk said in BYU Thread:

I don’t buy the tired legs theories out there. These are young men in their primes. They only play two games per week! Come on. If this is really an issue with this team then they need a better strength and conditioning program.

EXACTLY - - - -thank you.

• Hm. Every player on the court is going close to 100% theoretically and our roster is shorter. The margin of difference between fatigue and non fatigue may be small for a person in their prime but the consequences can still be significant in a high level game.

• @drgnslayr

We shouldn’t have been winded, we just had 7 days off and another 3 to the BYU game. Something is really off with this group this year from a conditioning standpoint. BYU played 9 guys and only 1 hit 30 minutes and that was because of foul trouble. All 5 KU starters hit 30+ minutes again. It seemed like Self committed to playing the bench more with substitutions the last 2 games but it’s still an issue with guys playing too many minutes. I know Kev is 30+ minutes missing but man we just seem to have issues that are usually not a talking point (like conditioning). I can’t recall a season where its been this visible

• @approxinfinity

BYU Bench minutes- 84- 29 points. Played 9.

KU Bench minutes- 37- 9 points. Played 8.

Pope might have outcoached Self here. Fouling Hunter, using his bench heavy. Sounds like BYU plays a lot of guys, Self doesn’t generally. Perhaps it’s something that needs to change in the future. The game is ever changing and it doesn’t seem like guys are holding up playing 33+ minutes a night.

• @BeddieKU23

I hear what you are saying. Perhaps it’s just with some of our guys on this team. Every player is unique on conditioning, even when going through a conditioning program.

Earlier this year I questioned Furph’s ability to go for 30+ minutes. I think his conditioning has actually strengthened as the season comes to a close. He has a bit of a high school player’s body… but he’s definitely improved (including improving his defense against the drive). I’m expecting him to be a completely different player (stronger) by next fall, if he comes back!

If he builds his body this off-season he’s pretty much a shoe-in high lottery pick next year, regardless of the talent in the draft.

• I went back and watched some highlights earlier of the 2012 season because it popped up on X. It’s almost sad how unathletic we are compared to that team. They are pushing the ball and every player is catching lobs just fun stuff to watch. Man I hope now that the investigation is over we can get back to getting athletes.

• @kjayhawks KJ, Furphy, and Nick are all above average athletically in my opinion. Have we seen many Furphy lobs though? He’s had plenty of jams in transition but has he gone back door for the classic Kansas lob?

• Maybe Baylor will play zone so we can get back to lobs.

• @benshawks08 I bet they do, maybe not as much w/Kevin playing. 🤞

• Do you think coach talks to Hunter about his bad behavior on the court?

• @benshawks08 I think only KJ and Furphy are elite athletes. Yes we have several above average this is D1 basketball. But overall top to bottom this team is one of Selfs worst IMO. Only team that comes close is the 2019 team to me.

• @RockkChalkk I’ve been preaching this since Hudy left and I just mentioned watching the 2012 team, that teams bench was even shorter than this teams yet we are just too tired to play. I’m really starting to question this deal with LMH health.

• @RockkChalkk THANK YOU. I’ve been saying that for years. 17-22 or so year olds cannot get that tired. I used to play ALL DAY in Houston’s Herman Park and go back for more on Sunday when I was young. The only way they could be tired like that is if they believe the BS about being tired.

• @kjayhawks based on what? In football we’ve had very good player durability and conditioning. Or is all the other sports where we’ve had issues if you can name them?

I think it’s more mental than anything. Bill’s system is pretty demanding and being that mentally geared up that long has to be tough.

• @FarmerJayhawk I pretty much have only seen the negative effects in Basketball.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in BYU Thread:

@kjayhawks based on what? In football we’ve had very good player durability and conditioning. Or is all the other sports where we’ve had issues if you can name them?

I think it’s more mental than anything. Bill’s system is pretty demanding and being that mentally geared up that long has to be tough.

Man, can’t think of one high profile football player dealing with a lingering injury and consistently wondering if they’ll play or not. Lol. Jk. I know there’s a lot more than one player on the team.

• @nuleafjhawk Yep back in playing days I got up early to run 3 miles a day, got to school an hour early as soon as the the women’s coach would let me shoot and had my last hour off to shoot before practice. At this point to me it’s as simple as this team’s conditioning is pure garbage or they are a bunch a softies as Self would say.

• I don’t miss Hudy. She added too much bulk and the players lost explosion. The current players are the issue, not the trainers.