KU Maui Exhibition Game Chat

• @BeddieKU23 said in KU Maui Exhibition Game Chat:

Kev got whiplash from that collision and will be ok said Self.

Not even to real games yet and got lucky already

Yeah we really can’t afford injuries but especially Kevin. He was as advertised last night.

• If he can play on Weds., then I would not call it whiplash. Whiplash can be debilitating and last for months.

• @patoh3

Whatever it was he seems to be okay which is the main thing. Hopefully he’ll be okay moving forward.

• @BShark

Certainly flashed at times at a level we can get excited about. As always with him it’s going to be about consistency shooting the ball.

• A night to reflect.

Overall Illinois played better & is currently further along. The crowd made an impact positively for them in a game that felt a lot more serious than an exhibition. Regardless this was probably the most real exhibition game KU has ever been a part of before a season starting. I hope the benefit to this was that is speeds up the development of this team for upcoming games. Better for find some warts now than when facing Kentucky etc.

Personally, I don’t like the makeup of this team and haven’t all off-season but I’m trying to stay optimistic and see how this team develops since Bill always figures it out. He’s certainly going to earn his paycheck this year

• Ahh, finally saw a box score.

If you didn’t watch the game, it’d be pretty telling.

3 pt shooting

KU 3-12

Illinois — 11-27

I dunno how you overcome that. Maybe if you had a Udoka Azubuike dunking on every possession? I sure hope we can figure out how to get Nick some open looks.

Free throws

KU — 12-19

Illinois — 21-32

Pretty big spread there. 19 is a decent number of FT attempts, but giving up 32 is just ridiculous. That alone is a lot to overcome.

I was surprised to see Hunter’s final numbers. Better than I thought.

• @rockchalkjayhawk

Nick had some looks, but he missed them all besides that pull up FT jumper. KU certainly didn’t run any of their sets either so that upcoming opponents don’t have film to study.

What we saw of perimeter shots from KJ and Elmarko did not look good. Hunter banked one in, and Kev drilled a big one from deep but besides that KU was easy to defend last night.

FT disparity was mostly due to the home crowd and KU’s inability to guard anyone on the perimeter. Lots of tacky fouls at times but in the end KU never adjusted when Illinois drove every single possession to the paint.

• @BeddieKU23 said in KU Maui Exhibition Game Chat:

@rockchalkjayhawk

Nick had some looks, but he missed them all besides that pull up FT jumper. KU certainly didn’t run any of their sets either so that upcoming opponents don’t have film to study.

What we saw of perimeter shots from KJ and Elmarko did not look good. Hunter banked one in, and Kev drilled a big one from deep but besides that KU was easy to defend last night.

FT disparity was mostly due to the home crowd and KU’s inability to guard anyone on the perimeter. Lots of tacky fouls at times but in the end KU never adjusted when Illinois drove every single possession to the paint.

I have faith in Timberlake. He looked way more bouncy in Puerto Rico than i thought. I really don’t know his game, so not sure if he needs screens to get a shot off, or if he can dribble/shoot. We’ll find out soon enough!

I may have to rewatch the game, but Elmarko seemed semi invisible mostly (he had one burst to the basket that i recall). And not sure if Self told Harris to chill (because he was not his usual self) and let Elmarko get things going or what.

No expectations for Elmarko to be brilliant early on. But that would be nice 🙂

• Both of elmarko’s baskets were hard to bucket. Fast break. Harris had 8 assists.

• @rockchalkjayhawk

It’s very hard to overcome a 3 point disparity of minus eight. I thought during the game they were unconscious from three and got anything they wanted at the rim. There was a Zach sighting who is a nice three point shooter, during practice. We didn’t live up to the expectation of three starters returning though.

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in KU Maui Exhibition Game Chat:

@BeddieKU23 said in KU Maui Exhibition Game Chat:

@rockchalkjayhawk

I have faith in Timberlake. He looked way more bouncy in Puerto Rico than i thought. I really don’t know his game, so not sure if he needs screens to get a shot off, or if he can dribble/shoot. We’ll find out soon enough!

I may have to rewatch the game, but Elmarko seemed semi invisible mostly (he had one burst to the basket that i recall). And not sure if Self told Harris to chill (because he was not his usual self) and let Elmarko get things going or what.

No expectations for Elmarko to be brilliant early on. But that would be nice 🙂

Timberlake gets great bounce on his jumper so he shouldn’t have any issue. I expect to see more out of him going forward as he gets comfortable. We need him to be a reliable shooter.

Elmarko had a few flashes but yeah he’ll need some time. Another that I think we will see a lot more out of going forward

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in KU Maui Exhibition Game Chat:

Both of elmarko’s baskets were hard to bucket. Fast break. Harris had 8 assists.

One of his makes was one of the few times we ran a play. Screened a drive for him and he was at the basket before Illinois knew what was going on. That’s something Bill can work with.

Elmarko’s development is probably the key to the season. Many people have wanted Self to play a raw freshman, and now he has no choice.

• Way more importantly, anybody know a good place to buy that nice Maui Strong T shirt everybody was wearing? Gotta get one.

• How did the big doofus from Michigan play?

• @wissox 22 points 9 rebounds two blocks but looked terrible. Needs to shave the beard.

• @rockchalkjayhawk kustore.com. Make sure you put the freeshipping15 In the coupon place and then change the shipping to whatever length is free. It stays at a couple of days, which isn’t free if you don’t change it. Hurry cause they only have large left.

• @wissox

He let the Illinois crowd get to him early, they were booing him. Apparently has a great relationship with their fans, they send each other x-mas’ cards and take selfies together.

Had a hard foul on Hawkins that got reviewed. A preview of what we’ll see from him I’m sure at times. Was ruled a common foul but I bet in real games that’s Flagrant.

Certainly not his best game from a shooting perspective. Banked a 3, missed a whole bunch of good looks in mid-range. We did run some stuff to get him lobs and easy buckets. He didn’t impress in this exhibition game but I’ll remain hopeful

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in KU Maui Exhibition Game Chat:

@rockchalkjayhawk kustore.com. Make sure you put the freeshipping15 In the coupon place and then change the shipping to whatever length is free. It stays at a couple of days, which isn’t free if you don’t change it. Hurry cause they only have large left.

Thanks, Crimson.

That’s a nice one, but the shirt I saw on the TV is the one I’m looking for. It’s white, with some palm trees, says KU vs Illinois. I’ve seen it around, but wasn’t sure if the web sites were legit.

But thx for the link. That one looks sharp.

• @BeddieKU23 Thanks, of course the Illini fans know him well, so maybe Big 12 fans, not as knowledgeable as us bucketeers, might not give him too much grief.

• The rebounding and lack of outside shooting was my biggest concern. Nick couldn’t hit the ground with his hat in 3 tries and is a terrible defender. If he ain’t hitting from 3 he need to get subbed out immediately.

• @kjayhawks Elmarko was even worse defensively than Nick though. Not many options.

• @BShark don’t disagree with that assessment at this moment but give a month and Nick won’t be able to hold Elmarkos jock strap lol

• @BShark said in KU Maui Exhibition Game Chat:

@kjayhawks Elmarko was even worse defensively than Nick though. Not many options.

Probably see them both play a lot better defensively as the season goes, especially Elmarko who’s got the athletic ability and length to get coached up into playing d. Might have been a blessing for both to see what they need to do differently when playing good teams

• Assuming that they both improve throughout the year, the team will be pretty strong. If WYSIWYG, then we’re looking at a second round exit.

Not every new player has gotten better under Self, but many have. Gotta have hope these guys will develop.

• Still real concerned about this teams depth. - I think it’s going to be a big hindrance as the season progresses. - I think in the back third of the Season , we are going to see some worn down players, they gonna have to play A LOT of minutes throughout the year.

No room at all for injuries - --foul problems – -or outside issues. - -I still wonder how well Hunter gonna fit in this program, to me just seems like a bad fit. -Our best success is we are out and running fast paced- -is Hunter going to fit that role? – I don’t think so, lot of body to keep a fast pace, unless we play slow down ball limit possessions - ----- I dunno we shall see