Welcome Parker Braun!

• Just committed per Mama B

• Surprised we’re using up the schollies. yay?

Is he the modern TJ Pugh?

• @rockchalkjayhawk a bit. Makes me think we’ll use all 12

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

@rockchalkjayhawk a bit. Makes me think we’ll use all 12

Have to use all 12 now. Need a backup big and a legit wing. I’m not exactly confident that those two are out there, but that’s what the roster needs. I’d say wing has to be priority 1.

• OK, i watched a highlight vid. he’s more mobile and slightly more agile than i thought.

• Had to land someone willing to ride the bench. It’s not a bad signing. Just not good. Wish it was a young guy with potential rather than this but it is what it is

• Two years eligibility left?

• one

• @Kcmatt7 said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

Had to land someone willing to ride the bench. It’s not a bad signing. Just not good. Wish it was a young guy with potential rather than this but it is what it is

Mitch Lightfoot. He’ll get 7 minutes or less some games, and won’t bat an eye. Plus, Mom will be at his games…

• @BShark said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

one

😅 phew

• Is this a desperate signing after Udeh and Zuby departure.

• I think we can assume they will rock hunter and mix KJ in at the 5. He’s a glue guy, program guy that can give you energy min for 6-8 min. They need depth and can’t throw insane money at every guy. They have 2 Spots left. I feel like a bigger small forward that can play 4 is still the missing piece

• @AsadZ said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

Is this a desperate signing after Udeh and Zuby departure.

some might say that - - finding bodies

• 47% FT shooter the last two seasons. Yikes!

• We’re not going to get Prince Charming to play 7 minutes a game. We could do much worse. The guy can rebound, and shoots pretty good. He is an intelligent player, and a pretty good passer. Got a sweet little hook shot. Definitely unsexy add. I question the quality of what we can get for the other 2 slots. Obviously they’re going with KJ at the 4, backed up by Marcus Adams. How many minutes will we have to cover on the 3/4? 10 to 12 max, right? We’re not going to get a star that wants to play 5-10 minutes a game.

• If the season was to begin now:

Are 0ur starters better than last year? Yes or No

Is our bench better than last year? Yes or No

• @wissox said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

47% FT shooter the last two seasons. Yikes!

Fits right in!

• @Jethro said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

We’re not going to get Prince Charming to play 7 minutes a game. We could do much worse. The guy can rebound, and shoots pretty good. He is an intelligent player, and a pretty good passer. Got a sweet little hook shot. Definitely unsexy add. I question the quality of what we can get for the other 2 slots. Obviously they’re going with KJ at the 4, backed up by Marcus Adams. How many minutes will we have to cover on the 3/4? 10 to 12 max, right? We’re not going to get a star that wants to play 5-10 minutes a game.

I’m all for Bill getting a guy who can score with a hook shot. Mitch was good for like 2 or 3 of those a game often in big moments.

I think there is a world where Self could sell a guy that there is still a starting spot at the 4 but to me it’s really the 3 that is still up for grabs. Not sure Timberlake is a shoe in for starting spot. I’d assume one of Morris and Jackson will take the two. But I think there are a LOT of minutes up for grabs in that 3/4 spot. KJ is going to get 30 minutes but I’d imagine some of that would be at the 5 spelling Dickinson. So I’d say there are 20 minutes up for grabs at the 4 and all 40 at the 3. The competition for those minutes will be with Timberlake and Marcus Adams Jr, with Johnson and McDowell likely getting limited minutes as off ball guards at the 2/3. I could legitimately see signing a guy who could still play 25-30 minutes in an open competition with that bench group.

• @benshawks08 said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

@Jethro said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

We’re not going to get Prince Charming to play 7 minutes a game. We could do much worse. The guy can rebound, and shoots pretty good. He is an intelligent player, and a pretty good passer. Got a sweet little hook shot. Definitely unsexy add. I question the quality of what we can get for the other 2 slots. Obviously they’re going with KJ at the 4, backed up by Marcus Adams. How many minutes will we have to cover on the 3/4? 10 to 12 max, right? We’re not going to get a star that wants to play 5-10 minutes a game.

I’m all for Bill getting a guy who can score with a hook shot. Mitch was good for like 2 or 3 of those a game often in big moments.

I think there is a world where Self could sell a guy that there is still a starting spot at the 4 but to me it’s really the 3 that is still up for grabs. Not sure Timberlake is a shoe in for starting spot. I’d assume one of Morris and Jackson will take the two. But I think there are a LOT of minutes up for grabs in that 3/4 spot. KJ is going to get 30 minutes but I’d imagine some of that would be at the 5 spelling Dickinson. So I’d say there are 20 minutes up for grabs at the 4 and all 40 at the 3. The competition for those minutes will be with Timberlake and Marcus Adams Jr, with Johnson and McDowell likely getting limited minutes as off ball guards at the 2/3. I could legitimately see signing a guy who could still play 25-30 minutes in an open competition with that bench group.

I guess it has to do with what you think of Timberlake. If you go Juan/Morris/__/KJ/Dick, then that’s a lot of minutes out there. The difference this year that works in Timberlake’s favor is that we have a 7’1" guy in the paint, versus a 6’5" guy last year, imo. Last year, we couldn’t afford to make a mistake on the perimeter because it was going to be a throw down if they got past our guards. This year, we have options. Devonte wasn’t the world’s best defender but we didn’t see it much because he had Doke for several years. I keep thinking Gradey wasn’t the world’s best defender last year, and we survived. If somehow miraculously we get Kev back, I could definitely see Timberlake coming off the bench. If not, I think he’s our best option at the 3.

• @Jethro I agree he’s probably our best option right now but I don’t think he’s the same LOCK for minutes that Juan, KJ, and Hunter are that would deter a quality player from joining the team.

• @benshawks08 said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

@Jethro I agree he’s probably our best option right now but I don’t think he’s the same LOCK for minutes that Juan, KJ, and Hunter are that would deter a quality player from joining the team.

Agreed. If they used Timberlake in the Remy role, it probably would be better in the long run. I am PRAYING they don’t recruit Caleb Love, though. Surely they can see he isn’t KU material.

• @Jethro Remy was a shot creator.That’s why he was a good 6th man.He could take and make hard shots- but you couldn’t expect him to consistently make those shots over larger defenders.He was our “Microwave”! Not everyone can do that -or should do that.If Timberlake can stay outside and get passes from rebounds,drives and dishes, or double team team passes-he will be everything we wanted (if he can give us a good 3 percentage). We should be happy we got him!!!

• @Jethro said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

@benshawks08 said in Welcome Parker Braun!:

@Jethro I agree he’s probably our best option right now but I don’t think he’s the same LOCK for minutes that Juan, KJ, and Hunter are that would deter a quality player from joining the team.

Agreed. If they used Timberlake in the Remy role, it probably would be better in the long run. I am PRAYING they don’t recruit Caleb Love, though. Surely they can see he isn’t KU material.

If we didn’t have Morris and still needed a starting caliber 2, I would go after Love because I think he’d be really good in a situation where he’s primarily playing off the ball. Since we have Morris, Jackson, Timberlake, Johnson, and McDowell, there’s no need another guy who can play the 2 spot so I doubt we’ll hear about KU having interest.

A wing and a big are the needs remaining and should be/are the focus.