Off-season starting lineup ever changing thread

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Off-season starting lineup ever changing thread:

@rockchalkjayhawk said in Off-season starting lineup ever changing thread:

I know with every bone in my body that Bill’s gonna be Bill, but what if…

PG Harris

G Elmarko

G Timberlake

SF McCullar

C Dickinson

I don’t really see a reason for KJ to start. What will he provide? We’re all convinced he’s not a great rebounder, right? He can’t shoot. So, that leaves defense and lobs. Nothing wrong with that, but i think starting another scoring guard will help us more than KJ starting will.

I know, wasted argument.

Edit to say that McCullar can provide defense, rebounding, toughness.

It is a wasted argument because Adams is a better player than Timberlake amd Self isn’t going to bench KJ at this point.

Fun with lineups!

I dunno much about Timberlake to be honest. He looked more athletic than I thought he’d be in Puerto Rico. If he can shoot, to me he’s potentially more valuable to the team than KJ in this lineup.

• Also if you start all 4 guards you have nobody behind them. I’m super high on Jamari but that’s more 2 years from now.

• Jayhawk Slant quotes HCBS as saying they are open to bringing someone in at Christmas and are looking into it.

• @Gorilla72 thinking redshirt, but break glass in case of emergency guy there

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Off-season starting lineup ever changing thread:

@Gorilla72 thinking redshirt, but break glass in case of emergency guy there

Need another real practice body for sure.

• Arterio has royally screwed this team over. Still didn’t have great depth even if he was here. I will never understand this past offseason from a roster management standpoint.

• @BeddieKU23 which part don’t you understand/like about the roster construction? - Bill ran off the less talented players and the ones who did not want to fight for minutes ran with their tail between their legs. Then it seemed like take any talented player that wants to show up. I feel like Udeh and Zuby both leaving was an unexpected problem. The guards recruited should be adequate, would’ve been better with someone of Morris talent on the bench. - preseason #1 can’t be all bad!

I don’t like the idea of transfers. I don’t like the roster churn, but it is what it is.

• Roster depth is not great but should be ok as long as the gaurds don’t get injured. Probably won’t have as good of practice bodies but who’s to say how much impact that has. Bill never plays more than 8-9 at the end of the season and we at least have that. Can’t say I’m not nervous with Kevin’s injury history though

• @dylans

I feel the margin for error especially in the backcourt is basically banking on no injuries occurring which is fool’s gold. One of the biggest things that has plagued Harris in his time here is playing too many minutes over the years. They brought in Morris and now he’s gone, and it ends up being a really stupid move now. Hopefully Elmarko is as good as they say because if he can’t handle some of the ball handling duties what is KU going to do? I can’t imagine Timberlake is an option for ball handling.

Going into the season we have 9 scholarship players (if Zach stays with red-shirt), 3 of them are freshman & two of the transfers are taking significant leaps up in competition. This offseason was a mess imo.

• @BeddieKU23 Pretty much any other school not named duke or Kentucky is worried about their #3-5 starters not just depth. Were spoiled.

• This team is going to start the season ranked #1. It is wild to me all the bitching and moaning this off season.

• In part we were choosing not to fill the roster due to the self imposed reductions. The Terio thing obviously hurts a lot but we are still preseason top 5 (and #1 in some places) without him. Wish we would have been able to snag Murrell but that’s in the past. We move on, we ball.

• Murrell or Mgbako would be great right now….

• @Woodrow hyper analysis welcome to the off-season. We are going to labor to score, struggle to create off the bounce and besides Timberlake have zero proven outside shooters.

We have our warts but will still be right there when it’s all said and done

• @kuballin10 said in Off-season starting lineup ever changing thread:

Murrell or Mgbako would be great right now….

Well, Mgbako or Kevin I know who I’m taking every time.

• Im still ready for Kevin to blow away expectations with nobody focusing on him.

• @approxinfinity From what I saw in Puerto Rico if our offense flows through Kevin or he’s trying to go 1 on 1 things won’t end well

Play through Hunter and KJ - let them create

• @kuballin10 said in Off-season starting lineup ever changing thread:

@approxinfinity From what I saw in Puerto Rico if our offense flows through Kevin or he’s trying to go 1 on 1 things won’t end well

Play through Hunter and KJ - let them create

Don’t know about playing through KJ that sounds like a disaster.

Biggest key for Kevin is staying healthy…which he has never been able to do across an entire season.

• @BShark Last year when he was in attack mode he’s catch it around either the top of the key and go right by his man to the right or drive and kick. No 5 can stay in front of him heck same for most 4’s

He also catches it around the elbow and has the same process….attack and either score or kick it

Play through him because I don’t trust our guards to create anything off of the bounce

• Juan and Marko will be fine.

• @BShark Marko was very passive in Puerto Rico and Juan gets assists not from attacking but more ball movement around the perimeter

I’m not sold on that yet. Again hyper analysis we are gonna be good and I’m excited to see Hunter with a legit coach

• Last year, the starting 5 played waaaay too many minutes and it showed late in the year. As long as self can continuously go 7-8 deep, it is looking good. If not (injuries, grades, whatever), it may get exciting. Sounds obvious but last year showed what happens without a decent bench.

• @BeddieKU23 There are holes in the roster and warts will show for sure. I think they should be competitive every night though as long as the effort is there both by the players and coaches. But I don’t really know enough about the current roster to say anything with 100% certainty. We’ll know more by conference.

• @dylans

I’m here to see how it all plays out. I tend to be critical in the preseason and identify what I think are the biggest things that can hold KU back. I know Self will mold them into a very good regular season team but the schedule is difficult, and we really have to bank on some injury luck at certain positions.

I agree that the roster churn and transfers this past year really zapped my enthusiasm for the sport. Games can’t start soon enough imo

• @Gorilla72

That’s going to play out again.

Juan, Kev, Hunter, KJ are going to play the most.

Elmarko, Nick, Braun, Furphy the next 4. Mari sprinkled in as needed.

The next 4 has zero collective minutes played at KU. There will be growing pains and a likely drop off to the bench.