Is this our true rebuild year?

• Having so many newbies makes me think unless we portal pull amazingly well, we could be in for a rebuild. For us, that means NCAA tournament w/o winning the B12. Have hard times come upon us? Could we be an actual “bubble” team? Or do we slay the portal, and are back in the Top 5? Bill seems to think Top 5…do you agree?

• @Jethro said in Is this our true rebuild year?:

Having so many newbies makes me think unless we portal pull amazingly well, we could be in for a rebuild. For us, that means NCAA tournament w/o winning the B12. Have hard times come upon us? Could we be an actual “bubble” team? Or do we slay the portal, and are back in the Top 5? Bill seems to think Top 5…do you agree?

Well evidently some other people either know things we don’t - -OR they just reaching - -I mean really reaching -cause I read ANOTHER article last night people making their predictions for next year and they had KU as 15-1 to win the Championship - this is the 2nd article I’ve read where they have picked us to win or get to the final four. - Of course like they say a lot is on who we have returning-- -who we got coming in & then the Portal but they are saying with the names we are connected to in the portal is huge

• This is a bit premature, imo…

Baylor is losing their top guys. KSU losing theirs. TCU lost theirs. Texas losing theirs. WVU losing theirs. Houston lost 2 top guys. Etc. etc. etc. Almost every team is losing their top two scorers in the league.

It is just a scramble for everyone, and I trust us to end up with top-tier talent out of the portal.

• I think the 3 get out of the portal will determine a lot. If we get Dickinson, we could be preseason Top 5. Would love to see McCullar ( McCullah if you speak Frannie) come back. You could visibly see the difference in our defense when Kev wasn’t in. Then we would have Juan, El Marko, Kev, I don’t know, and Dickinson. That team would be formidable. Are we really going to try KJ at 4? Really?

• @Kcmatt7

Well said and agree. Trusting the process here.

• @Jethro

Too early to tell but I would certainly think we will get what we need from the portal and make the pieces fit once again. It’s definitely crazy times though

• Nope. Wait until you see the portal additions.

• @jayballer67 said in Is this our true rebuild year?:

@Jethro said in Is this our true rebuild year?:

Having so many newbies makes me think unless we portal pull amazingly well, we could be in for a rebuild. For us, that means NCAA tournament w/o winning the B12. Have hard times come upon us? Could we be an actual “bubble” team? Or do we slay the portal, and are back in the Top 5? Bill seems to think Top 5…do you agree?

Well evidently some other people either know things we don’t - -OR they just reaching - -I mean really reaching -cause I read ANOTHER article last night people making their predictions for next year and they had KU as 15-1 to win the Championship - this is the 2nd article I’ve read where they have picked us to win or get to the final four. - Of course like they say a lot is on who we have returning-- -who we got coming in & then the Portal but they are saying with the names we are connected to in the portal is huge

With all of the vacancies on the team, these high pre-season rankings are fool’s gold and everyone should know it if you’re being honest and objective.

The pundits’ projections are almost exclusively based on coach Bill Self, his history of success and his emerging position as Alpha among all coaches. Yes, KU Basketball is now the recipient of the same ranking inflation that Duke received when Coach K was there. It wouldn’t be like this if Jay Wright had stayed another year or two, but his departure and UK/Cal’s recent performance woes have created a vacuum in basketball coaching that hasn’t been seen since Wooden retired.

Bill Self is The Man… and this year’s early tourney exit didn’t tarnish him… it possibly enhanced him due to his absence in the post-season.

• @bskeet said in Is this our true rebuild year?:

@jayballer67 said in Is this our true rebuild year?:

With all of the vacancies on the team, these high pre-season rankings are fool’s gold and everyone should know it if you’re being honest and objective.

The pundits’ projections are almost exclusively based on coach Bill Self, his history of success and his emerging position as Alpha among all coaches. Yes, KU Basketball is now the recipient of the same ranking inflation that Duke received when Coach K was there. It wouldn’t be like this if Jay Wright had stayed another year or two, but his departure and UK/Cal’s recent performance woes have created a vacuum in basketball coaching that hasn’t been seen since Wooden retired.

Bill Self is The Man… and this year’s early tourney exit didn’t tarnish him… it possibly enhanced him due to his absence in the post-season.

They did say that they based a lot of this if the possible Portal target’s Ku was connected with. - It’s ridiculous to make any kind of predictions on the up coming season already

• @bskeet said in Is this our true rebuild year?:

@jayballer67 said in Is this our true rebuild year?:

The uncertainty of what the final version of the roster will look like does mean a lot of people are guessing. This is also why there’s a bit of a discrepancy in where KU is ranked. Some have KU as a top 5, some have KU in the 15-20 range.

I also think with this many new faces, there’s likely to be a bit of a learning curve with this team as they learn to play together and with what we already know about KU’s schedule next season with UConn, Missouri, and an absolutely stacked Maui field, it’s conceivable for KU to have 3-4 losses entering B12 play next season as the team learns to play together.