Caleb Grill Hot Rumors

• @BShark I still think a locker room issue could be handled less publicly whether the outcome is correct. Just a bad look that he let it get this out of control. You know Grill must’ve thought highly of Otz to follow him from unlv. For it to get to a point that you can’t quietly handle things is ridiculous and to have a team vote is also crazy it’s the on Otz shoulders 100%, to add the team to the firing squad is kinda messed up.

Coach - the team wanted him gone. It wasn’t because I lost control.

Lots of bad apples get kicked off of teams with more grace than this was handled with. That’s all I’m saying. (Think Otz needs a what would Brad Stevens do bracelet lol)

• @dylans said in Caleb Grill Hot Rumors:

@BShark I still think a locker room issue could be handled less publicly whether the outcome is correct. Just a bad look that he let it get this out of control. You know Grill must’ve thought highly of Otz to follow him from unlv. For it to get to a point that you can’t quietly handle things is ridiculous and to have a team vote is also crazy it’s the on Otz shoulders 100%, to add the team to the firing squad is kinda messed up.

Coach - the team wanted him gone. It wasn’t because I lost control.

Lots of bad apples get kicked off of teams with more grace than this was handled with. That’s all I’m saying. (Think Otz needs a what would Brad Stevens do bracelet lol)

Couldn’t agree more, him being fronted out in front of the team - -terrible way to be handled , like you said and I said before this is something that should of been handled in private in office. Never should of come to a team vote. He is the head Coach for GOD’S sake - -those are his decisions to be made. -For him to say if he did - -the team wanted him to be gone - - come on , that’s passing the buck so he can say - -well it wasn’t me that made the decision the team did - that’s weak… - He trying to make excuse in case John Q Public think he was in the wrong , he can fall back well it was the team that made the decisions.

That situation is almost identical to Neon Deion at Colorado had his players vote on another player - confronting him in front of the team - -that didn’t go over very well there either -just a bad look - Sanders had the team vote then he told the player to GET OUT in front of the team - -come on , better way to handle situations better then that

• @dylans Yeah team vote is a bit of a cop out. KU has had some guys booted and it was handled a lot better…

• Grill grew up in Kansas but always was ISU growing up. Is probably why followed Oz there

• @BShark Giddens, Tharpe. Whom else was shown the door? Downs, Henry, Frankamp?

• @dylans maybe CJ Henry, X was a good kid with no issues, daddy Carl was a problem

• @kjayhawks yes CJ is who I meant, but couldn’t come up with his first name.

• @dylans Vick

• Vick flaked out. I think he just wanted to avoid a senior night speech.

Anrio Adams, Billy Preston, Cliff Alexander… shown the door.

• Brannon Greene had bad mojo

• I was rooting hard for all these guys, by the way, especially Vick

• @DanR said in Caleb Grill Hot Rumors:

Vick flaked out. I think he just wanted to avoid a senior night speech.

Anrio Adams, Billy Preston, Cliff Alexander… shown the door.

It reached a breaking point after the game in Manhattan in the locker room. He had to leave. His own mom doesn’t hold ill will over it which says a lot.

• Vick was probably the hardest to watch for me. He had played so well early in the season and was a first rounder in most mock drafts. He just couldn’t handle the lime light and deal with the pressure. I bet he has a ton of regrets on how he handled it. Same could be said for Giddens, Adams and Greene. But you have to live and learn a bit. I think Preston and Alexander deals were much different since the NCAA came down on them. They were going to go as OAD regardless. Best of luck to these guys and I hope they are well.

• Last 2 had their moms screw up their careers and almost hurt KU! Maybe it did.

• @kjayhawks I think Greene had the smoothest trey of all KU players under Self so far, sad to see demise of his career.

• Carleton Bragg was another one (I was actually thinking of him, not Preston, earlier)

• @AsadZ said in Caleb Grill Hot Rumors:

@kjayhawks I think Greene had the smoothest trey of all KU players under Self so far, sad to see demise of his career.

What an idiot he was. That stroke alone gets you a 15 year NBA career as long as you aren’t an issue off the court.

• @Kcmatt7 What a wasted opportunity

• Idk if this ever became public but Brannen has BPD. Was not a good situation at the end.

• Bragg and Greene both would’ve been NBA guys had they had their heads on straight.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Caleb Grill Hot Rumors:

Idk if this ever became public but Brannen has BPD. Was not a good situation at the end.

Didn’t help that they let him live off campus his last year here instead of the dorms. A lot of bad went on during his time here.

• @kjayhawks said in Caleb Grill Hot Rumors:

Vick was probably the hardest to watch for me. He had played so well early in the season and was a first rounder in most mock drafts. He just couldn’t handle the lime light and deal with the pressure. I bet he has a ton of regrets on how he handled it. Same could be said for Giddens, Adams and Greene. But you have to live and learn a bit. I think Preston and Alexander deals were much different since the NCAA came down on them. They were going to go as OAD regardless. Best of luck to these guys and I hope they are well.

I saw both Vick and Wiggins at a camp the summer before that first season. Vick was at least as athletic as Wigs and watching them go at each other I was thinking hot damn this is going to be a year. Sadly it didn’t work out that way.

• Didn’t Brannen Greene end up saving someone’s life by pulling them from a burning car? That guy would be dead if Greene was in the NBA. Things work out in weird ways. Who knows what’s “supposed” to happen? 🤷♂

• Yes, he did

• Here is a statement from Grill that is on the ESPN site. Having suffered from major depression I am lucky enough to have recovered from, I found this extraordinarily painful. I can’t imagine trying to deal with it while experiencing the pressure of trying to perform at a high level under non-stop public scrutiny.

“Lastly, one day when I am brave enough, I hope to be able to share my story about my mental health and my mental illness I have been battling through all season,” Grill wrote. "While everyone was commenting about the hair, or funny actions on the court, it was a way for me to get out of that state of mind and feel like me being myself instead of the dark place I have been in this season.

“If it was not for the love and support from family network back home … I am not sure I would be alive and I would have made a decision that would have affected so many people’s lives.”

Otzelberger’s statement did not elaborate on the reason for Grill’s removal from the team, and Grill’s message on Twitter indirectly referenced it. He was called for a technical foul in the second half of the Cyclones’ 72-69 loss to West Virginia on Monday.

“Unfortunately, I said something that I regret which has cost me the opportunity to finish out my dream at Iowa State,” he wrote. “I hope that all the players and Iowa State fans can find it in their hearts to forgive me.”