Transfer Rumblings

• @Woodrow On the court his performance was terrible. Huge regression from the end of his freshman season while he committed 2 turnovers playing only 23 minutes. That said he’s got a NBA tool kit

• AJ Storr from Wisconsin is officially in the portal. Now that is where we need to be looking.

• @Woodrow said in Transfer Rumblings:

Fighting with coaches/team mates, mentally checking out after losing his starting spot. Stuff like that.

• @Woodrow said in Transfer Rumblings:

AJ Storr from Wisconsin is officially in the portal. Now that is where we need to be looking.

Rumor is Illinois is the early leader. Iirc he is from Illinois.

• Storr is also going through the draft process so this one could drag out for a LONG time even if he does commit somewhere

• Do you guys get the sense that the staff is working hard + smart this portal season?

• @approxinfinity said in Transfer Rumblings:

Do you guys get the sense that the staff is working hard + smart this portal season?

Hard yes, smart impossible to say until it is done.

• @approxinfinity it’s definitely a shotgun approach but they’ve identified lots of needs and types of guys that could fill those

• @BShark Why would anyone want that on their team? How many times does a person magically mature enough to not bring that toxicity with them?

• @BShark That program is on the rise….Underwood spent extensive time with Jay Wright that’s changed who/how he recruits and has adjusted his offensive style. His team this year is by far better than ours because of it and he lost some last year to the portal…quite the reload and they took to this new system quick……

Wish Bill would adjust

Underwood I think takes the reins when Self leaves if he can get to a final 4 or two at ILL

• @patoh3 I might disagree with @bshark on random bs about coaching ect but if bshark says a dude is trouble you better listen up.

He was spot on with Morris and it bit us in the @$$

And he’s saying it again with Kugel….youd think Bill would learn

@bshark get on staff cause someone needs to tell these guys we don’t need quitters and turds

• @Woodrow Along with @wissox I also follow Wisconsin. Storr is an electric athlete and scored at a high clip this year. That said…he had more than questionable shot selection, plays exactly no defense, isn’t a good ball handler and shot over 50% in a game in 7 of 36 games. He would drive Bill Self absolutely crazy. As much as he helped Wisconsin at times this year, his offensive inefficiency really hurt them at time. And he completely no-showed in their tournament game. Pass for me

• Kugel and Johnson would be a strong start

• All the Illinois chatter for Storr seems to be premature

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Transfer Rumblings:

All the Illinois chatter for Storr seems to be premature

Wisconsin 247 guy saying to watch for Kansas and Ole Miss

• Not sure I’d want Storr at KU as Foco said. Spectacular athleticism, but poor handles and a matador defender. I think he would drive Bill Self crazy. While he is from Illinois, he’s from Rockford, a quick hour drive up 90 to Madison.

It would be interesting at least to watch a former Badger suit up for us next year, but I’m not sure he’s the answer for our problems.

• Bobby Pettiford back in the portal after one year at ECU.

• His defense is a little mystifying. With those tools he should be a plus on ball defender at least.

• @kuballin10 - Really shouldn’t be leaving your feet anytime when making a pass . -you get caught, you have to force the pass a lot of times, because you know you have that internal clock , knowing you got to get rid of the ball before you land

• Storr has been to 7 schools in 7 years man…

• https://x.com/Sully_2029/status/1773526610597294562?s=20

Hurley and uconn got today’s game and the portal figured out….gonna go back to back

5 titles since 2004 and 6 if you stretch it to 1999

Uconn absolutely dominating the last two decades

Could you fathom us going back to back? No way would Bills system be able to do that with freshman and even transfers. He only works if guys stick around 3-4 years which isn’t gonna happen in todays college game

Hurley, Underwood….guys who emulate Jay Wright will succeed in today’s game. Dumb down the offense, dribble drive, Chuck threes, get out and runnnnnn…….defend outside in with good help defense in the paint

People will quote consistency which is worthless without capitalizing on it when it matters most. You either cash in and deliver by winning it all or choke.

• Am I the only one that cares or finds it unfathomable that last year and this year the 1 and 4 spots are guaranteed starters with not even 1 ounce of reconsideration from a hof coach to truly look at how to better his team???

I’m reading oh bills bringing in competition…I mean what media fed bs. He can do that all he wants but the comp won’t be that good because transfers know they won’t be the starting ball dominate guard because d2 is here and they can be the more skilled less athletic 4 and don’t have a chance……

I think I’m the only one that doesn’t sunshine pump about oh we’ve won the little 12 what consistency….uconns about to have 5 titles in 20 years. Don’t even act like you’d rather have our run the last 20 years over that…….

• @kuballin10 said in Transfer Rumblings:

Am I the only one that cares or finds it unfathomable that last year and this year the 1 and 4 spots are guaranteed starters with not even 1 ounce of reconsideration from a hof coach to truly look at how to better his team???

I’m reading oh bills bringing in competition…I mean what media fed bs. He can do that all he wants but the comp won’t be that good because transfers know they won’t be the starting ball dominate guard because d2 is here and they can be the more skilled less athletic 4 and don’t have a chance……

I think I’m the only one that doesn’t sunshine pump about oh we’ve won the little 12 what consistency….uconns about to have 5 titles in 20 years. Don’t even act like you’d rather have our run the last 20 years over that…….

I think there should be competition but we know how coach works. Dajuan is his guy and will never be benched

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Transfer Rumblings:

Bobby Pettiford back in the portal after one year at ECU.

Kind of lost on this one. I think talent wise that’s where he belonged

• @TYOHawk It was what his redshirt jr year (Juan) and took the all pac 12 player for him not to start a few games but once he (remy) was injured juan started from then on out.

For some reason the connected guys on here don’t like to talk about what people in the ball world know about how bill has his “guys” and you don’t have any legitimate chance to play. That combined with his difficult system to learn and quick hook for mistakes is the reason we don’t always land who we want. Other coaches know how to be honest and talk about different programs without coming across as trashing the competition.

• @kuballin10 there’s nothing HS coaches love more than to complain that x college program won’t recruit my kids because they’re sooooo good. Like look 99.99% of your players suck and I’m sorry your coach didn’t put you in back in the day since clearly you would’ve won state then. It’s worse in football but basketball has more than its share of delusional people that think hey if you let me coach at Kansas I could outdo Bill Self when they couldn’t sniff his jock. So yeah, I don’t put a lot of stock in that.

@TYOHawk It was what his redshirt jr year (Juan) and took the all pac 12 player for him not to start a few games but once he (remy) was injured juan started from then on out.

For some reason the connected guys on here don’t like to talk about what people in the ball world know about how bill has his “guys” and you don’t have any legitimate chance to play. That combined with his difficult system to learn and quick hook for mistakes is the reason we don’t always land who we want. Other coaches know how to be honest and talk about different programs without coming across as trashing the competition.

Bill has his favorites for sure. Sometimes they’re great players ie Frank or Devonte. Sometimes they’re solid players with rough upbringings who probably play too much ie Jamari and Dajuan.

• @FarmerJayhawk My comment wasn’t about hs coaches at all……or aau circles….its about other D1 programs.

Your response sounds like some arrogance out of Naismith drive meanwhile they are getting passed by because other programs are adjusting while ours doesn’t.

It’s well known how Bill runs things and yes, there’s a lack of talent evaluation along with pairing your philosophy and scheme with what today’s players excel at.

There’s a reason be it Houston or Baylor or isu have better guards than us let alone the Unc’ s, dukes and UConn’s of the world right now….

I don’t care if you put stock in it or not it’s the truth and it’s blatantly out there amongst the circles……

• @TYOHawk The fact he doesn’t play the best players because of another players upbringing is……. saaawwwfffttt

Dudes getting passed by as he rides off into the sunset

• @kuballin10 yeah they really sure do think Bill sucks. Unless “he’s a f****** monster” is an insult. It’s easy to make stuff up on a message board. Real coaches know. https://theathletic.com/4312851/2023/03/16/ncaa-tournament-coach-kansas-bill-self/?source=user_shared_article

• @FarmerJayhawk That comment is from trilly donovan who isn’t a coach…he’s just commenting on Bill on the recruiting trail which the results we have to show since then aren’t a monster by any means

You legit quoting an athletic article where some anonymous coaches just give kudos to Bill as an example that they don’t talk about his philosophy and pets when recruiting against??? You can’t be serious right….

Yeah let me find an article where those d1 coaches just vent how they pitch against other programs I’m sure that will be on the front page of the journal any day now (shaking my head)……back to the arrogance comment I said

Without remy (and a million lucky breaks between bacot and kalkenbrenner) Bill is a 1 trick pony with a ton of underperforming seasons especially lately

• @kuballin10 lololol the quote is from a coach in the article. But hey, don’t hurt yourself moving those goalposts. I could find the exact same type of article about coaches saying who’s dirty too.

Arrogance is saying a hall of famer with two rings can’t coach.

• @FarmerJayhawk Getting surpassed by new philosophies doesn’t mean he can’t coach…just stating what’s pretty obvious at this time.

Roy and K retired and Bill was supposed to take the reins. Hurley and Sampson seem to be the ones who are doing that not Bill.

• @kuballin10 there are probably many people who share your opinion but I think you could be more effective with the argument if you came at it less harshly. We are all passionate and want nothing but greatness for our jayhawks, its what unites us. I agree with you that Juan is holding us back from maximum performance. I am not sure I agree that KJ is a lock to start, even though if I had to choose between the two I would go with KJ. Didn’t KJ almost transfer out last year when there was talk of some recruits coming to KU? The elite studs aren’t plentiful and its even more rare that they appear in the portal. We landed two of the highest ranked players in the portal last year and both have underperformed expectations. It could be coaching, it could be over-hype, it could be lack of surrounding cast, or a mix of all. Its also really tough to build up a solid bench in the portal era because anyone good enough to be a bench piece at KU could start on many other teams out there.

Its tough to watch the transfers we missed on that sounded like locks at times last year (Nelson, Ingram, etc) doing well and knowing they could have been a huge help to our team. I hope Bill finds three top end guards and some rim protection/rebounding bigs to add to our roster. Need players with a strong will and won’t fold when things start going against us. We had so many losses that ended up as blowouts because the team kindof quit when we started to fall behind.

Lastly, I would love for coach to hunt for the next Frank Mason. These guys exist. Under ranked and perhaps undersized players with great ball skills and heart. Somehow KU identified him when so many others passed. Find the next guy in that mold and bring him in to develop. I hope we don’t become a team void of freshmen developing as backups. There won’t be room for many, but at least one G and one F.

• “It’s hard to bet against Bill Self,” one power-conference coach said. “Say what you want about whatever, but he’s a hell of a coach.”

We’re done here.

• @RockkChalkk Wings will come here but the ball dominate guards you need to win in March won’t until Juan is gone.

Imagine Marc Sears on our squad with a healthy Mccullar…it’d be a night and day difference with our team.

Bills royal messed this one up because he’s a grown man playing favorites and doesn’t want to hurt feelings aka saawwfffttt

• @FarmerJayhawk Do you understand context? These coaches are interviewed for an entire article that’s praising Self. Yeah he’s a top coach in the game…they aren’t gonna rag on him.

If you are as connected as you act it won’t be hard for you to confirm what I’m referencing (coaches able to poke holes in Kansas based on roster construction/pets and philosophy).

We can act like the investigation scared guys away and those guys have even said so……that’s what you call an easy out when wanting to let someone down softly

@kuballin10 there’s nothing HS coaches love more than to complain that x college program won’t recruit my kids because they’re sooooo good. Like look 99.99% of your players suck and I’m sorry your coach didn’t put you in back in the day since clearly you would’ve won state then. It’s worse in football but basketball has more than its share of delusional people that think hey if you let me coach at Kansas I could outdo Bill Self when they couldn’t sniff his jock. So yeah, I don’t put a lot of stock in that.

As someone that has talked to multiple HS coaches of guys that have ended up at KU…yeah…

Most of these guys see a handful of legit D1 prospects lifetime unless they are coaching at a basketball factory school.

“It’s hard to bet against Bill Self,” one power-conference coach said. “Say what you want about whatever, but he’s a hell of a coach.”

We’re done here.

If anyone doesn’t think he is a top 5 coach in CBB right now they are out of their mind.

• Rumors of Kugel to KU according to Trilly.

• @TYOHawk said in Transfer Rumblings:

Rumors of Kugel to KU according to Trilly.

Not just Trilly

• @BShark said in Transfer Rumblings:

@TYOHawk said in Transfer Rumblings:

Not just Trilly

Has the real source spoken?

• @kuballin10 apparently you don’t.

@FarmerJayhawk Do you understand context? These coaches are interviewed for an entire article that’s praising Self. Yeah he’s a top coach in the game…they aren’t gonna rag on him.

If you are as connected as you act it won’t be hard for you to confirm what I’m referencing (coaches able to poke holes in Kansas based on roster construction/pets and philosophy).

We can act like the investigation scared guys away and those guys have even said so……that’s what you call an easy out when wanting to let someone down softly

Dam Sparky , have you always been so miserable ? – I mean seriously your always such a wonderful bundle of Sunshine. How could ANYONE not understand what an awesome Chump you are-- Seriously is it possible that your STILL going through menopause ? - - -Na that can’t be it - -that’s for women - -WAIT your not a woman are you ? - -yet you might be, you always bring out the best in people here , hmmm you ever wonder why that is Mr Sunshine ? - When you DO figure that out let me know – we all wait it’s gonna be fun

• @TYOHawk said in Transfer Rumblings:

@BShark said in Transfer Rumblings:

@TYOHawk said in Transfer Rumblings:

Not just Trilly

Has the real source spoken?

alt text

• After seeing this the possibility, I was watching on other sites , a KU Podcast heard some interesting things & points , makes you think;

Ok, so we are hid final four list – - Arizona , U Conn , Houston , & KU. The host was saying guess that Kugel kind of fell out of favor with Coach Golden , ran through a tough stretch and was relegated to coming of the bench , which Kugel wasn’t very happy about. - The insider that reports for the Gators just like Swain does, said at times he looked like he was pouting , depressed – and really didn’t play well. but he brought out stats on Kugel from freshman year to Soph year, pretty eye popping.

His Fr yr He was in the 77 Percentile for Ball handling efficiency - His Soph yr dropped to 39 % percentile

His Fr yr He shot - -45.6 from the floor–& 37.6 From the three - -His Sop yr under 40 % from the field & 31 % from the three

His Fr yr in 82 % percentile for jump shots , Soph yr- --He fell to 36 % percentile for jump shots shooting

His Fr yr in 57 % percentile for spot up shooting - -his Soph yr 25th for spot up shooting

His Fr yr was in 87 % for catch and shoot - -His Soph yr dropped to 30th catch and shoot

His Fr yr was 86 % percentile in guarded catch and shoot- - his Soph yr dropped to 16percentile

His Fr yr was 86 % percentile of dribble jumpers - his Soph yr dropped to 59 percentile

The host said sooo, if Hunter comes back— -Juan comes back- --KJ comes back- - Furphy comes back , you have one starting spot left. Do you want to take that chance on him being you two, and more likely then not your starting two, cause we have seen what happens with him coming off the bench. – If you start him just put that much more priority on finding another high volume really good shooter & you BETTER hope he rebound from his Soph Season and can shoot.

Then they took a look at his defense side saying from Synergy - -Saying his Fr year his rating was in the 35 percentile -his Soph yr he did a little better he was at 38-- a little better but both yrs were below average defense… – Said Kugel can be a risk taker on defense , he likes to go for the Steal and blocking shots, misses kinda frequent which puts the other team members in a bad spot…

He did say that Kugel was good enough he could play rhe 2 or the 3 , can handle the ball some , says he is a vey talented player but thinks if if he does come it is going to have to be in a starter role. - -Like he says is this the type of guy for we want for our two ?

• @BShark My comment was about other d1 coaches and programs….

• @FarmerJayhawk I never said he wasn’t a great coach….

This version of college basketball doesn’t fit his style.

He only wins titles with guys that are in his system 3 or more years. That is not today’s college basketball. Guys either go pro or transfer because of playing time.

His “system” is difficult to pickup and there is zero freedom otherwise it’s the quick hook.

These are all reasons he won’t succeed with how the portal and everything is setup. Can we be good sure he’s a great coach…can he win it all with how he’s running things…no.

Oh look further proof they recruiting eye is lacking

https://x.com/ChrisYBaldwin/status/1773472466817401340?s=20

• @jayballer67 Speaking the truth on the streets is hitting a few nerves I see. This bow down to self like he’s the new coach K with 5 titles is pretty comical to watch. Dude can’t even get out of the round of 32 or let alone lose a round of 32 game by single digits.

I don’t get the hype with the program right now and nobody’s challenge Self. That’s the key to downfall of any big program see uk right now….