Early Departure Rumblings

• Please remember it is early and things can always change even if guys are set on things currently. That said there is some talk that…

Zach is out of here. Would be a transfer situation of course. Don’t think this is really surprising at all. I know he was hurt for a bit but he has less minutes played than both FR bigs. Udeh nearly has him doubled in minutes despite having no idea what he is doing. Bad sign for Zach.

Gradey to NBA draft. This makes a ton of sense with where he is currently projected. Will have to see how everything goes as obviously there are holes in his game and he could really use another year in college I feel. I mainly don’t think it would be good for him to be thrust into a bad situation/team.

and now for the one that might surprise people

Dajuan staying in the NBA draft. There is some talk that he would be drafted and he has great value as a the third PG for a team. Talk about an incredible success story if it does play out this way.

• Also sounds like Texas Tech’s entire roster may be available after this year. Anyone we like? lol

• I’ve kind of had a feel about Zach. - -Something just hasn’t worked out right for him. - -Not seeing the floor very often extended minutes, figure that’s not gonna sit well with him. - -Kind of sad had big hopes for him - a kid that can stretch the floor, wonder how deep he is in Coach doghouse. - well just the nature of the business I reckon.

Gonna be spots available for sure - -Let’s see McCullar - -Dick - - -Wilson - -Zach - - & Maybe Dejuan ? - - -I dunno bout DaJuan - -I suppose I still just kinda think he will be back, BUT anything is possible for sure have to be at the right place - -right team.

• Heard the same re: Zach and Gradey. Juan is an interesting case. I wouldn’t doubt he tests (and he won’t test well) but feel pretty strongly he’ll be back. Otherwise we’re in deep, deep feces.

@jayballer67 I think McCullar is gone but there’s a chance he comes back with a big NIL deal. But like 25% chance max.

We will be down to 12 scholarships next year, so if things happen according to plan:

• Out: Wilson, McCullar, Zach, Cam, Dick

• In: McDowell, Jackson, Johnson, mystery wing transfer

That makes 12 and we’re good. Now we could get a minor surprise like Yes or Cuffe leaving which would open up another spot. But that’s the lay of the land as of December 2022

• @FarmerJayhawk Yeah other than Gradey this is a great scenario you’d take it every time. MJ is definitely has talent and if the transfer moves the needle we could be great. Really depends on development of returners and the level of the transfer addition. Hard to be “bad” with Juan on a roster of other D1 capable players tbh.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Early Departure Rumblings:

Heard the same re: Zach and Gradey. Juan is an interesting case. I wouldn’t doubt he tests (and he won’t test well) but feel pretty strongly he’ll be back. Otherwise we’re in deep, deep feces.

@jayballer67 I think McCullar is gone but there’s a chance he comes back with a big NIL deal. But like 25% chance max.

We will be down to 12 scholarships next year, so if things happen according to plan:

• Out: Wilson, McCullar, Zach, Cam, Dick

• In: McDowell, Jackson, Johnson, mystery wing transfer

That makes 12 and we’re good. Now we could get a minor surprise like Yes or Cuffe leaving which would open up another spot. But that’s the lay of the land as of December 2022

you know I didn’t even realize Kevin had a chance to come back lol

• @jayballer67 yeah the Covid year stuff has everything all screwy lol. Like Juan could be here for 6 years

• @FarmerJayhawk Kansas legend Mitch Lightfoot 🖖

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Early Departure Rumblings:

@jayballer67 yeah the Covid year stuff has everything all screwy lol. Like Juan could be here for 6 years

big time screwy lol. I can’t keep up with things. Just like in football the portal is almost a joke. I know it’s to help the player , cause it’s kinda like I had said before , not here but just in General I thought it kinda wasn’t fair to a kid the kid commits and then seemed like before a kid would commit to the School and then after that the Coach up and leaves for another job. Now the reason a lot of kids commit in the 1st place is not the school , but for the Coach. - Now the kid has committed and stuck , the reason he committed the Coach is gone.

So I thought the portal was a good idea - the Coach leaves then the kid should have the opportunity to leave also- -follow that Coach ifhe wants ya know. Yet it seems like the portal has become to easy - -seems like almost like a bidding war lo

• @BShark said in Early Departure Rumblings:

@FarmerJayhawk Yeah other than Gradey this is a great scenario you’d take it every time. MJ is definitely has talent and if the transfer moves the needle we could be great. Really depends on development of returners and the level of the transfer addition. Hard to be “bad” with Juan on a roster of other D1 capable players tbh.

This is the main thing for me. Keep MJ around…

• @TYOHawk I think he can still be pretty special as well.

• Cam doesn’t want to leave. Very good source on this.

We are recruiting like we have two starting spots which would mean we need three transfers out.

• Only update to OP is Juan is now expected back.

The other two Zach transfer and Gradey staying in the draft are pretty much locked in.

• @BShark life is probably good for Cam so I don’t blame him. Add him as a GA so he can stay.

He shouldn’t be on scholarship here. Just how it is.

Please remember it is early and things can always change even if guys are set on things currently. That said there is some talk that…

Zach is out of here. Would be a transfer situation of course. Don’t think this is really surprising at all. I know he was hurt for a bit but he has less minutes played than both FR bigs. Udeh nearly has him doubled in minutes despite having no idea what he is doing. Bad sign for Zach.

Gradey to NBA draft. This makes a ton of sense with where he is currently projected. Will have to see how everything goes as obviously there are holes in his game and he could really use another year in college I feel. I mainly don’t think it would be good for him to be thrust into a bad situation/team.

and now for the one that might surprise people

Dajuan staying in the NBA draft. There is some talk that he would be drafted and he has great value as a the third PG for a team. Talk about an incredible success story if it does play out this way.

I find that one on Juan kind of strange , as he has just come out and said he has two more years and that he would be back. - -I’l believe that one when it actually happens

Only update to OP is Juan is now expected back.

The other two Zach transfer and Gradey staying in the draft are pretty much locked in.

thats good I was hoping

• @Kcmatt7 Cam’s Instagram gives some insight there lol

• @FarmerJayhawk Heard he is done with wanting to play basketball too, lol.

Only update to OP is Juan is now expected back.

Any news on Pettiford and Rice?

• @BShark Dick could be in or out. Hard to say.

• @nuleafjhawk was it that hard, really? Sorry, had to say it.

• @TYOHawk neither will get forced out I can tell you that

Cam doesn’t want to leave. Very good source on this.

We are recruiting like we have two starting spots which would mean we need three transfers out.

Cuffe?

• Going to have to hit on both transfers if we have the room.

If hypothetically Cam retires, Cuffe & Zach transfer out you have 2 spots open. You need both spots open if Bobby/Joe/MJ stick around.

Both guys must be scorers. Both need to be interchangeable at the 3 and 4.

• @BeddieKU23 is that counting losing the 2 ships?

• @Crimsonorblue22

We lose 1 for next year and 1 the following year as I understood it?

If everyone outside of Cam, Cuffe & Zach return they would have 2 spots open for the portal/HS recruiting.

• @BeddieKU23 said in Early Departure Rumblings:

@Crimsonorblue22

We lose 1 for next year and 1 the following year as I understood it?

If everyone outside of Cam, Cuffe & Zach return they would have 2 spots open for the portal/HS recruiting.

I think we are losing 1 for 3 years each starting next year.

Current situation is if Adams gets into 23 like we want we are over signed by two. This is assuming Gradey/Jalen/Kevin are all leaving which is correct. So we need two transfers out/fancy retirement (guess who) just for our current class. And I’ve heard we still want at least one transfer brought in.

You’ve listed the top 3 to not be receiving a scholarship from KU next year. All clearly not cut out for KU’s level of play. And I think we see a guy or two leave that isn’t pushed out.

• @BShark Could Cam walk-on and enjoy all the benefits of NIL/basketball life if he’d like? Or is this against the rules since he had been given a scholarship/recruited? (I know there is some rule about this just can’t remember what).

• @dylans Don’t think he could switch to a walk-on. Assuming he graduates then he could probably be a GA or something.

• @BShark If this isn’t a rule then the scholarship limit isn’t a thing anymore.

• @dylans Yeah I think it has to be, or we would have seen it by now.

• I’m still waiting for the first “walk-on” that transfers because of a massive NIL deal.

Not sure if the rules on all of this, but it seems like something that could happen. $200k NIL, but pay your own tuition.

• @Kcmatt7 It might be better to walk on. Can’t they transfer easier? Truly a hired gun, working for next years highest bidder.

• @dylans The rule sure reads like that…

• @Kcmatt7 said in Early Departure Rumblings:

@dylans The rule sure reads like that…

It is true if you start as a walk-on. You can’t take OVs. That can obviously be worked around, but there are some optics at play there of course.