Rice?

• CBS now has us playing against 5-7 Rice in the First Responder Bowl. I’m trying to suppress my ingrate tendency by not discussing how bummed I would be if this holds up. Rice? Really?

• @Jethro said in Rice?:

CBS now has us playing against 5-7 Rice in the First Responder Bowl. I’m trying to suppress my ingrate tendency by not discussing how bummed I would be if this holds up. Rice? Really?

Payback would be nice for them beating us twice a few years back.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 That’s a positive way of looking at it. Plus, we would win the game, so there’s that.

• @Jethro Eggs… counting… chickens… hatching…

• We’re going to Memphis. Announcement incoming

• pirate kansas

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Rice?:

We’re going to Memphis. Announcement incoming

yup posted on other thread it’s all set

• Mizzou cowards playing WF in the Gasparilla Bowl

• Kansas leads the series vs Arkansas 2-0. The last time we played was in 1906, six years before the Titanic sank

• I’d rather play Hogs than Cowards…the battle for pronunciation rights!

• I don’t understand the pronunciation rights thing. Is it about the river or the state pronunciations?

• @DanR said in Rice?:

I don’t understand the pronunciation rights thing. Is it about the river or the state pronunciations?

Yor ask people in Arkansas - -that’s what it is. BUT if you ask people around Wichita and that it is pronounced - -Ark - - KANSAS - – - i think around Wichita it’s all about the river

• People from Kansas have never pronounced Arkansas as anything other than Ar-Kansas. When I was growing up, you’d get corrected if you said it wrong. I remember my grandpa arguing with the tv announcer- " it’s not Arkansas, it’s Ar-Kansas!" God forbid if you mentioned “the river”.

• Arkansas is Biblical, “Noah looked out of the ark and saw…”

• @wissox

And saw Missouri and since it was hunting season the dove inexplicably didn’t make it back.

• @Jethro said in Rice?:

https://twitter.com/GamblinGauchos/status/1600152112179998721

yes it is- - it’s going to be just fine for sure. - -Wonder what Pac 12 has to say about that now.

• @jayballer67 said in Rice?:

@Jethro said in Rice?:

yes it is- - it’s going to be just fine for sure. - -Wonder what Pac 12 has to say about that now.

My worry is that the Big 12 is losing two of their largest enrollment schools. The other issue is that the schools that they are adding may have lots of students, but may not have as large of alumni engagement.

Houston, for example, has nearly 40,000 students enrolled, but my guess is that if you polled students at Houston, they would be fans of other, larger schools like Texas A&M, Texas, or LSU. Their degree may say Houston, but their allegiance is to another school, particularly once they graduate. TCU (Texas, A&M) has a similar problem, as does Cincinnati (Ohio State, Louisville, Kentucky), and UCF (Florida, Florida State).

Perhaps the move to a P5 will help shift allegiances going forward, but a lot of older alums may have graduated from one, but are “fans” of another school.

BYU is the outlier here because they are the Mormon equivalent to Notre Dame. The downside is that, unlike Catholics, which are spread pretty widely across the country, Mormon populations are very heavily concentrated, so interest in BYU will be heavily in Utah, but sparse in a lot of other places.

Will Big 12 ratings be high for a title game between Baylor and K-State (random pairing) in 2025? Or will that game flop because both teams come in with two losses already?

• @justanotherfan said in Rice?:

@jayballer67 said in Rice?:

@Jethro said in Rice?:

My worry is that the Big 12 is losing two of their largest enrollment schools. The other issue is that the schools that they are adding may have lots of students, but may not have as large of alumni engagement.

Houston, for example, has nearly 40,000 students enrolled, but my guess is that if you polled students at Houston, they would be fans of other, larger schools like Texas A&M, Texas, or LSU. Their degree may say Houston, but their allegiance is to another school, particularly once they graduate. TCU (Texas, A&M) has a similar problem, as does Cincinnati (Ohio State, Louisville, Kentucky), and UCF (Florida, Florida State).

Perhaps the move to a P5 will help shift allegiances going forward, but a lot of older alums may have graduated from one, but are “fans” of another school.

BYU is the outlier here because they are the Mormon equivalent to Notre Dame. The downside is that, unlike Catholics, which are spread pretty widely across the country, Mormon populations are very heavily concentrated, so interest in BYU will be heavily in Utah, but sparse in a lot of other places.

Will Big 12 ratings be high for a title game between Baylor and K-State (random pairing) in 2025? Or will that game flop because both teams come in with two losses already?

For one I don’t think Houston is going to be that bad – for sure your not going to have those fans pulling for other Texas schools in Basketball - -they have had huge fan base for some time in that especially with them # 1 now - -the longer that program stay number one the more interest in locals they gonna get - - only natural. - -I think we going to be just fine.

Solid football programs and rally good basketball. -True might be a little less in football but solid football in basketball upgrade over Texas and Oklahoma- true Texas a little better but overall Cincinnati - -Houston & BYU no less then oklahoma for sure and Houstin doesn’t take a back seat to Texas this year or any year

• @justanotherfan 12 team playoffs would make the game relevant even with two losses.