What's Leipold worth?

• I think a new contract for LL is pretty much inevitable.

There’s been a lot of twitter debate. There are people that I would consider lunatics that think KU is a good job any good coach can win at. They wouldn’t pay LL more than $5M maybe.

I think KU is a place the right guy can win at. And there may only be a handful of those guys walking the planet at any given time. KU seems to have found one of them.

Personally, I think LL is WORTH to the univesrity easily $15M/yr. He won’t get that, but he’s worth that. I’ll explain why:

1. We sold $2.7M in tickets in 2019. The full 7 game schedule. A sold out Booth can get you about ~$2M in a single game. That is before parking and concessions. A full 7 game schedule sold out nets ~$15M in tickets, and $16M-$17M in total revenue. That alone justifies paying him $10M/yr.

2. Enrollment and endowment donations have a direct correlation to program success. KU saw their largest freshmen class since 2008. It is no coincidence that it was following a National Championship in basketball. Sustaining success in football would guarantee increased enrollment. And each enrollee is worth ~$18k/yr. 555 additional enrollees at the University per year would bring in $10M in additional funds. Enrollment as a whole is actually down at the university this year, so it is CRUCUIAL that they continue this growth starting with this year’s freshman class. Donations also are a direct correlation with success. I haven’t looked at the new Endowment numbers yet, but I can bet they are up as well. All together, we are talking well over $10M/yr that could be influenced by football’s success.

3. Conference realignment. If KU’s football team can stay hot for a stretch of 10 years and actually build something, they are once again a hot commodity come conference realignment. The B10 is expecting to be able to distribute an additional $10M starting this next year, and they were already the top conference. It could legitimately be a $10M-20M difference in conference distributions per year. LL building the football program into something the B10 would be interested in would be incredible.

4. The future value of success today is incalculable. But what I can say is that I grew up knowing KSU had a better program. Kids today know that. But if we can upgrade our facilities, sustain some success, we can have an entire generation of local kids going to KU instead of KSU. Meaning once LL does leave, the chance KU can hire a good coach again and have success in the future is so, so much higher.

I would argue that at this very second, there might not be a coach that means more to a program than LL. If he leaves for Nebraska or Wisconsin because they are better opportunities, I won’t blame him. But KU should pay whatever it takes to keep him here. It can be whatever ridiculous number. I think he’s a unicorn, and can take KU to places we couldn’t imagine. And even if he isn’t, we know he will keep this program at least at a respectable level. KU wouldn’t lose money signing LL to a $10M/yr deal. They just wouldn’t. But he might literally be one of the biggest bargains in sports, even at $10M/yr, if he turns KU into a perennial winner.

(Note: I don’t think KU is going to pay him $10M/yr. My point is simply that KU should match, or pay more, than whoever offers him this offseason. KU cannot afford to lose him).

• I’ve got a 2 dollar bill and a $25 Cabela’s gift card that I’ll chip in to keep him here.

• @nuleafjhawk I would make an exception to my rule of not donating to KU until I pay off my own student loans if it meant keeping him.

And I WILL be a season ticket holder next year if they keep him or hire AK as the replacement.

• @Kcmatt7 said in What's Leipold worth?:

@nuleafjhawk I would make an exception to my rule of not donating to KU until I pay off my own student loans if it meant keeping him.

And I WILL be a season ticket holder next year if they keep him or hire AK as the replacement.

i AGREE. just saying IF -again that’s IF Coach L should leave then I’m right there with you in hiring AK - -just hope it doesn’t come to that.

• @nuleafjhawk More than I would donate to KU football. I only care because it affects basketball. The football team’s suckiness has cost us opportunities. Here’s hoping Lance is a real coach - lets see if he can recruit and more importantly continue winning. 6-6, which is very doable, would be the first non-losing season since ‘08.

• @dylans You’ve never seen me on the football bandwagon, but I am ridiculously optimistic about this season. The traditional powers are down this year. The team is playing like they are possessed. If they can avoid further debilitating injuries (and players bailing out), this team has a chance of winning 10 or 11 games. There - I said it. What’s even crazier, I believe it.

• KCMatt Where do you find information like you did about how many tickets sold?

• I’ve watched every fb game that’s been on tv. Been to some. I’ve also listened to them on the radio if they weren’t on tv. I love fb. It’s great financially and fun for the college kids. All positive.

• I hate to think of the $$ we had to spend on the contract buy-outs for Turner Gill, Charlie Weiss, Beaty and Miles…

In a just and fair world, we’d take a chunk of that unearned money from those guys and drop it on LL’s lap.

• Sorry I’m just not feeling Lance on going anywhere. - Agree have to re do the contract , read in one place where they are trying to work on a contract that would make it very hard for another School to Poach Coach and also trying to work on the contract that would lock him in for the rest of his Career.

Yet another interview with Coach. -Every time I hear Coach talk just so impressed he just ooozes class very calm too demeaner. - This interview was with Mike Golic Jr on Go Jo. - Coach said to clear the aire and to tell the world how happy he is in Kansas - - he says the more of these ( interviews ) you do , the more you get asked.

Coach said Anyone who looks at my career our Career as a staff is- - were not people who have jumped around. We’ve gone through , we are EXTREMELY HAPPY here in Lawrence

We came to Lawrence to build a program for consistency - NOT for a quick stop. We expect to be here for a long time.

Now as a lot of people would say well that is a typical Coach response at this time - -yes that’s true , you wouldn’t expect any othe kind of answer at this [point , he sure would say right now OH well I’m gone after this year - - -I’m out. - BUT there is something about Lance - - I think he is truly sincere when he says this - Sure the Admin is going to have to re-structure his contract , which I’ve heard is in the works - -Our Ad has already said he is making sure that people know how important this is to us. - I just don’t think he is leaving.

• All I know is that it’s hard enough to turn a program around with any additional distractions about future jobs. He’s got an undefeated team that is in uncharted territory with a heisman candidate, a historic media event in ESPN game day, and a very tough opponent to prepare for. Add on the stadium announcement and the job nonsense… If he navigates this week successfully it will be incredible.

• Coach is what now pay wise 3 mil ? a year - -2.5 ? - - wonder if they re structured and settled in a 5 mil a yr - -think that would keep him in place if they could offer that ? - and extension in yrs additional say 3 years additional - would that lock Lance into us ? - - - -Cause I’m sure that could happen if it would

• @jayballer67 said in What's Leipold worth?:

Sorry I’m just not feeling Lance on going anywhere. - Agree have to re do the contract , read in one place where they are trying to work on a contract that would make it very hard for another School to Poach Coach and also trying to work on the contract that would lock him in for the rest of his Career.

Yet another interview with Coach. -Every time I hear Coach talk just so impressed he just ooozes class very calm too demeaner. - This interview was with Mike Golic Jr on Go Jo. - Coach said to clear the aire and to tell the world how happy he is in Kansas - - he says the more of these ( interviews ) you do , the more you get asked.

Coach said Anyone who looks at my career our Career as a staff is- - were not people who have jumped around. We’ve gone through , we are EXTREMELY HAPPY here in Lawrence

We came to Lawrence to build a program for consistency - NOT for a quick stop. We expect to be here for a long time.

Now as a lot of people would say well that is a typical Coach response at this time - -yes that’s true , you wouldn’t expect any othe kind of answer at this [point , he sure would say right now OH well I’m gone after this year - - -I’m out. - BUT there is something about Lance - - I think he is truly sincere when he says this - Sure the Admin is going to have to re-structure his contract , which I’ve heard is in the works - -Our Ad has already said he is making sure that people know how important this is to us. - I just don’t think he is leaving.

You never can tell what the future brings, but it sure seems he values being the head coach of KU. I agree in thinking he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. Listening to the guy, I hear the honesty in his voice when he talks. We didn’t just get a great coach- we got a great man.

• @Jethro said in What's Leipold worth?:

@jayballer67 said in What's Leipold worth?:

Sorry I’m just not feeling Lance on going anywhere. - Agree have to re do the contract , read in one place where they are trying to work on a contract that would make it very hard for another School to Poach Coach and also trying to work on the contract that would lock him in for the rest of his Career.

You never can tell what the future brings, but it sure seems he values being the head coach of KU. I agree in thinking he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. Listening to the guy, I hear the honesty in his voice when he talks. We didn’t just get a great coach- we got a great man.

Very well said. kinda the way I think - -he just sounds like every time I listen to the guy - - -just impressed

• I just hope if he does leave our fan base doesn’t act as disgracefully as many so-called fans did when Roy left. Everyone deserves the chance to choose their path. If he goes, we need to be as appreciative as we are disappointed. Any other reaction could poison the chance of getting a potential coach who might want to take over mid-resurrection.

• I would look for any extension to be about $4.5m AAV plus big commitment to funding NIL

• @FarmerJayhawk said in What's Leipold worth?:

I would look for any extension to be about $4.5m AAV plus big commitment to funding NIL

I would imagine $4.5M but with some HEAVY incentives for things like winning the B12 and Bowl Games right?

• @Kcmatt7 yeah, that’s accurate.