Remy to Kansas

• The media sure seems to think Dave will have a big role.

• All I remember from last yr is that most people, fans on here, some experts,🤣 were wanting to bench big dave early on. So, my point is, we should trust coach and let these guys develop. I’m pretty excited to see how the new guys work out. I think some of them might play more than some think. I’m wondering if Juan, remy and yesufu can play at the same? To small?

• @Crimsonorblue22 All three are 6’ or less, not really doable.

• This post is deleted!

• So assuming that Ochai is gone a starting 5 of Dave, Wilson, Lands, Yesufu and Remy?

• Guys , quick question – off topic BUT just Curious so why is it our cool little chat room here on Buckets why is it our comments fall off a lot on Fridays lol ? - -You know I HAVE to get my KU fix but on Fridays or most Fridays become so quiet you could almost hear a jellybean drop lol - Really miss all the interesting Conversation on here - - this is where I get my fix

Especially during the off Season , late Spring and horrible Summers - they just drag till we get back to the fall sports, Thank God there has been so much Basketball activity & the hiring of a new Football Coach has been good for conversation - -don’t go hide now lmao - - I’ll never make it through the Summer. Maybe we need to hold back some hot juicy talk till Fridays ya that’s what we need to do lmao

• My concern with this KU team is that Self, by default, likes a strong defensive team. Problem is, the best players (likely anyway) on this team are probably not defensive stalwarts. That means that Self will almost certainly over play a guy that is a lesser talent because they are an improvement on defense. We have seen that throughout his time at KU.

So how does this team fit together knowing that Self will want some better defensive players on the floor?

• @justanotherfan Who on the bench is a good defensive talent?

• Braun - Meh
    • JCL - Meh
    • Pettiford - Probably not as a freshman
    • Cuffe - Redshirt
    • Mitch - was a backup a year ago
    • Martin - Doesn’t strike me as a top tier defender
    • Clemence - looks like he will need to be in a college weight program first
    • Adams - Might get some time, might be too raw
    • Curry - Seems like a guy who would foul out in about 18 minutes

Not sure Self has another option than to play the presumed 5 starters as many minutes as they can handle.

• @Kcmatt7

And that’s the problem. There’s the potential that someone will impress Self defensively in the preseason and get way too many minutes. That’s my biggest fear.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Remy to Kansas:

@justanotherfan Who on the bench is a good defensive talent?

• Braun - Meh
    • JCL - Meh
    • Pettiford - Probably not as a freshman
    • Cuffe - Redshirt
    • Mitch - was a backup a year ago
    • Martin - Doesn’t strike me as a top tier defender
    • Clemence - looks like he will need to be in a college weight program first
    • Adams - Might get some time, might be too raw
    • Curry - Seems like a guy who would foul out in about 18 minutes

Not sure Self has another option than to play the presumed 5 starters as many minutes as they can handle.

And that is the question, now that we pretty well know the roster, what is the starting 5 going to be? Long is a more than decent defender, and he can shoot, I pencil him in and obviously Remi and Dave (I didn’t say he shouldn’t start), Wilson and Yesufu - that’s just a guess. Or maybe Braun over Long?

• @justanotherfan Not seeing it with this bunch… I’d love for you to speculate who that could be, and who’s minutes they would take.

• @justanotherfan said in Remy to Kansas:

My concern with this KU team is that Self, by default, likes a strong defensive team. Problem is, the best players (likely anyway) on this team are probably not defensive stalwarts. That means that Self will almost certainly over play a guy that is a lesser talent because they are an improvement on defense. We have seen that throughout his time at KU. So how does this team fit together knowing that Self will want some better defensive players on the floor?

This is one of the more insightful questions posed in here for a while.

I’m wondering if Self has partially changed his vision. I know he will stand there all day and shout “defense” but in reality it’s not like he is out there in the recruiting world just searching out guys who can defend. And how can he? How can he go out there and recruit based on defensive potential at the D1 level? Recruits mostly focus on offense and selling sizzle.

I think Self just has to recruit with how players fit into the offense and a slight vision of if they can fit in the defense… but it really comes down to players buying in to defense and focusing energy on becoming a better defender. Talk is cheap during recruiting. I think most people think the salesmanship all comes from the coaches trying to win over players. Players also have to sell themselves, too. Like I said, talk is cheap. And Self isn’t going to know what these guys are going to do until they start playing.

I see everyone focusing on a starting lineup. It’s way too soon for that. Obviously, there are players like Dave who should get the nod. Just don’t be surprised if he’s benched through part of November because Self thinks he should produce more. We all know how Self is capable of benching someone for a while to help motivate.

• Great conversation. On a Friday nonetheless!

• @drgnslayr agreed. Self hasn’t had a good defensive team since 2011-12. He has had good defensive players, and often not one of the most talented 5 offensively, I’m with @justanotherfan along that line of thought. I’m not as worried about a big getting minutes even if he can’t shoot than I am a guard. The logical candidate for this honor of the guards is Dajuan, and I think he’s a very good passer, which Marcus was not, and so is still offensively gifted even if his shot needs work. I feel like Dajuan makes our offense better, as long as he has enough other players on the floor that can shoot the 3.

I am prepared to be wrong about not worrying about the bigs scoring or spreading the floor. Hopefully they are mobile defenders though (unlike Doke pre transformation against Villanova) and can guard the perimeter so nullify offensive inefficiencies.

To me the biggest questionmark is what we will get out of Jalen and Christian. I think they will defer to the alpha dogs Yesufu Martin and Dave. We need consistency from them. I have a feeling they might struggle a bit to contribute when their roles change to support roles, especially since they aren’t plus defenders. If that happens I could see someone taking their minutes.maybe one of them falling out of the rotation.

• @approxinfinity said in Remy to Kansas:

@drgnslayr agreed. Self hasn’t had a good defensive team since 2011-12.

https://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2020

https://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2016

alt text

• @BShark tHeY jUsT dIdNt FeEl GoOd

• OK 2020 doesn’t count, as unfair as that is to say. 2016 didn’t feel like a good defensive team.

Look at that roster and tell me you think “good defensive team”.

• @approxinfinity Well, I for one think you must not be giving Tucker Vang and Clay Young enough credit…

OK 2020 doesn’t count, as unfair as that is to say. 2016 didn’t feel like a good defensive team.

Look at that roster and tell me you think “good defensive team”.

Why doesn’t 2020 count? They played 31 games which seems likeore than enough to be able to claim that was an elite defensive team because that was an elite defensive team.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 yeah. We just didn’t get to see it play out in the post season, the ultimate testing ground.

@Texas-Hawk-10 yeah. We just didn’t get to see it play out in the post season, the ultimate testing ground.

We saw how great the defense was against Baylor at the end of the season when both teams were at their peak in a game that was basically for the regular season title.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 one of my favorite games! Go Doke!

• @Texas-Hawk-10 hey good point! Ty for the reminder.

• I’m curious what Bill thinks about “bad ball” today? I know he always likes it when we keep teams below 60… versus us scoring over 90.

• Knew that scoring was going to be a serious issue this past season, but it should be better this year. Defensively I think we’ll be better too. Yesufu and Long D up, and the returnees (all four of them? Five? 😂) with another year under their belt should be better.