Bears picked over Jayhawks in preseason Big 12 poll

• At what point does Scott Drew get the respect he deserves nationally? Hell even on this website?

I’ll keep beating the drum. Scott Drew is a good head coach and as much as it may make you want to throw up in your mouth a little bit, he should be on the short list to replace Self.

I’ll take all comments off the air.

• Things Scott Drew has done:

• Take Baylor to their first tournament in 20 years.
    • Take Baylor to eight tournament appearances, they had only been 4 times in their entire history
    • Took over a program at literally one of the worst times someone could - almost as bad as Bill O’Brien at PSU
    • Has had them ranked in 12 of the last 13 seasons. At a medium sized private Baptist college in Wacco, TX where they are at best the school with the 4th best brand awareness. Maybe.
    • Gotten them to a 3 seed four times
    • Gotten to the elite 8 twice (which is all Self had done when he was hired).
    • Had them ready to be a 1-2 seed last year
    • Preseason consensus top 3 team

I’m sure the haters will say something but the dude is a winner and an above average acquirer of talent.

• @Kcmatt7 said in Bears picked over Jayhawks in preseason Big 12 poll:

At what point does Scott Drew get the respect he deserves nationally? Hell even on this website?

I’ll keep beating the drum. Scott Drew is a good head coach and as much as it may make you want to throw up in your mouth a little bit, he should be on the short list to replace Self.

I’ll take all comments off the air.

I agree with you & your right to many says he is a choker - - not a good Coach but you bring out very solid points. doesn’t mean I love the guy lol , just giving the respect where respect is due.

However not sure if I would want him as a KU Coach, i know sounds crazy if I’m giving him respect and can’t really explain why I wouldn’t but just wouldn’t be one of my favorites still - -nothing like talking out both sides of the ol mouth huh? lol - -But I agree he doesn’t get the respect he deserves

His team is gonna be really hard this season - -he has brought that program out of the ashes for sure. – ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Kcmatt7 said in Bears picked over Jayhawks in preseason Big 12 poll:

Things Scott Drew has done:

• Take Baylor to their first tournament in 20 years.
    • Take Baylor to eight tournament appearances, they had only been 4 times in their entire history
    • Took over a program at literally one of the worst times someone could - almost as bad as Bill O’Brien at PSU
    • Has had them ranked in 12 of the last 13 seasons. At a medium sized private Baptist college in Wacco, TX where they are at best the school with the 4th best brand awareness. Maybe.
    • Gotten them to a 3 seed four times
    • Gotten to the elite 8 twice (which is all Self had done when he was hired).
    • Had them ready to be a 1-2 seed last year
    • Preseason consensus top 3 team

I’m sure the haters will say something but the dude is a winner and an above average acquirer of talent.

Agree with all of your points here, although I wouldn’t want Drew as KU coach. I would argue that Baylor was at an even worse point when Drew took over.

From Wikipedia on the scandal Drew inherited:

“Patrick Dennehy, a player for the team, was murdered by former teammate Carlton Dotson; then-coach Dave Bliss was forced to resign amidst allegations that he had violated NCAA rules by making financial payments to four players and that he made improper statements to the media characterizing Dennehy as a drug dealer.”

For those tracking at home, that’s a current player being murdered by a former player, then the coach attempting to smear the murder victim by saying he was a drug dealer. Oh, and there was also some illegal recruiting going on, just for fun.

And this was a program with ZERO history to go with a huge scandal. Literally no one wanted that job when Drew took over in 2003. They only had 7 scholarship players in 2005. By 2008 they were in the NCAA tournament (first full recruiting class for Drew were seniors by then), and by 2010 they were in the Elite Eight. Baylor hasn’t been below .500 since they have had full recruiting classes (2008 season).

What he’s done is probably the greatest rebuild in D1 basketball. People talk about the rebuild Snyder did for K-State football, but at least he didn’t inherit a scandal ridden program on NCAA probation. Drew’s rebuild is at least as good as Snyder’s, probably even better, though its hard to compare football and basketball because of the differences in recruiting.

• @Kcmatt7

He is a good coach but I’m glad he struggles H2H against Self. This season he has a team on paper better then KU’s, we’ll see if he can win being the target in the league

• 5 main areas to college coaching

1. recruiting
    2. player development
    3. gameplan, style play, offense/defense
    4. in game adjustment, coaching
    5. media, player, fan relationship

To be a good college coach you have to excel at several of these. To be a top 5 coach and a great blue blood coach you have to be close to an A grading on all of those. Scott drew is a great recruiter, can develop players, but his tactical adjustments and game plan are not quite A level. He’s the opposite of a Bruce Weber. Weber cant recruit and is terrible with the media but he’s decent in the other categories