Players Coming Back

• Not KU related but Illinois is stacked with Ayo and Kofi returning.

Players yet to decide that will have a large impact on the season

Luke Garza

Jared Butler

Xavier Tillman

• Jared invited to combine?

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Players Coming Back:

Jared invited to combine?

He can still come back. MaCio Teague coming back for sure is already big for Baylor. If Butler comes back they should be favored ahead of KU.

• He was then? How long do they have? They lost a frosh, huh?

• @Crimsonorblue22 This Monday is the deadline.

• @BShark so before the combine, but there’s not one, right? Probably just tape? I’m guessing he’s gone. You?

• Ya, Illinois should be a top 10 team next season. Dosunmu and Cockburn are to them what Dotson and Doke were to us.

• Luka Garza coming back is huge for Iowa. The Big Ten might be the toughest league next year.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Players Coming Back:

Luka Garza coming back is huge for Iowa. The Big Ten might be the toughest league next year.

Probably is. MSU, Iowa and Illinois should all be top 10.

• Iowa is the only one I hesitate to put top 10. I don’t see that team playing much defense again (#97 KenPom last season). They should be an elite offensive team, though (#5 KenPom last season).

• Jared Butler returning to Baylor.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich

Yep, a better team on paper then KU going into this season

• A better team on paper than pretty much everyone. If we win the B12 this season Self deserves COY.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich said in Players Coming Back:

A better team on paper than pretty much everyone. If we win the B12 this season Self deserves COY.

I was going to correct if to when, since Self owns Drew but Drew has Corona working in his favor to possibly cancel the season.

• The bigger issue with COVID-19 is (if the season is played) the possibility that certain guys may be unavailable related to COVID-19. It’s going to be tough to contain the spread on college campuses. Dorms and college apartments just aren’t designed for that type of thing, even if every single student is vigilant about mask wearing, hand washing, etc. And assuming every 18-24 year old on campus is going to be that responsible for 16 straight weeks - well, we’ve all been to college and know that asking us to have been completely responsible for 16 consecutive hours would have been a stretch.

• @justanotherfan UT made a rule that students can’t have in person parties on or off campus so they’ve got that covered! LOL

• @benshawks08 That is a joke, right?

• @justanotherfan It wouldn’t be that difficult in theory to isolate the men’s basketball team. For this year only, don’t let regular students live in McCarthy and have all the players take online classes this year. Doing that, the only time the players would be using a shared space with other students/athletes would be the gym which should be fairly easily to regulate workout times for different sports to minimize interactions.

Until a firm date is set on when official team workouts begin, you can allow the players to go out and interact with others, but once you get to the two week window, then you basically have your own bubble for the players. It’ll suck for them to not be able to interact with others during that time, but if they want to increase their odds on being able to play this season, sacrifices need to be made and not having a social life outside of the staff and teammates for 6 months isn’t a huge sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.

• @Marco said in Players Coming Back:

@benshawks08 That is a joke, right?

Why is that joke? I’m assuming every school is going to have some kind of policy like that in place this year as a legal CYA to protect themselves from any potential negligence lawsuits related to Covid.

• @Marco No it’s actually a rule the university set for their students!!

• @Texas-Hawk-10

The tricky part is all of the people that the team has to interact with that would be outside that bubble - coaches, managers, food service, etc.

The NBA bubble works because it is essentially self contained. Everyone that is involved with game management - players, coaches, media, staff, trainers, etc. - is inside the bubble. For college basketball, we don’t have that. There would be travel involved. Hotel stays. Bus drivers. With spread still not fully under control, every interaction carries a percentage of risk with it.

And that doesn’t even address issues if fans are allowed to attend, even in small numbers.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 the sacrifice you talk about is going to be so different for every individual. A 5 star recruit at Kansas trying to make a name to get drafted is different than a 2 star recruit just trying to play some more basketball before his knees go out.

Every person has different responsibilities in their personal life. Those they care for etc. for some it’s a HUGE sacrifice.

• @benshawks08 especially seniors, thinking Marcus!

• @benshawks08 said in Players Coming Back:

@Texas-Hawk-10 the sacrifice you talk about is going to be so different for every individual. A 5 star recruit at Kansas trying to make a name to get drafted is different than a 2 star recruit just trying to play some more basketball before his knees go out.

Every person has different responsibilities in their personal life. Those they care for etc. for some it’s a HUGE sacrifice.

That’s why it’s called a sacrifice. If players want to play basketball this year, they are going to have to sacrifice other areas of their lives to make that happen this season. If those players aren’t willing to make those sacrifices, then they don’t need to play basketball this upcoming season. It’s harsh, but that’s what’s needed to try and make basketball happen this season.

@Marco No it’s actually a rule the university set for their students!!

UNC has a whole covid addendum to the honor code dealing with masking, social distancing, and all that jazz. I’m 99.99999% sure I’ll go into my office next week and see frat court as packed as ever.

• @FarmerJayhawk was just in a meeting today where we are talking about how to manage masks and social distancing with high school students. I think mostly it will be fine because most high school students will do what their asked if they understand why and are generally beginning to show signs of social consciousness but definitely they will definitely need a lot of reminders and passing periods (if they happen) will be a shit show.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Agree, my issue was with your statement that it “wouldn’t be a huge sacrifice” as for some folks it really might be. And if there’s a significant portion of kids that choose not to play especially at smaller schools adjustments will need to be made. Already seeing major star baseball players opting out and rightly so of their employer can’t provide a safe working environment. Can’t imagine most colleges will be able to do any better than the MLB.

• @benshawks08 I’m sure that the frat boys, sorority sisters and everyone else are going to obide by that.

@Texas-Hawk-10 Agree, my issue was with your statement that it “wouldn’t be a huge sacrifice” as for some folks it really might be. And if there’s a significant portion of kids that choose not to play especially at smaller schools adjustments will need to be made. Already seeing major star baseball players opting out and rightly so of their employer can’t provide a safe working environment. Can’t imagine most colleges will be able to do any better than the MLB.

If you’re going to quote me, at least use the full sentence to apply the correct context instead of cherry picking a part of the sentence to fit your argument. KU is a school where most players end up playing professional basketball so if these kids want to continue to pursue that dream and goal, sacrificing 6 months of their lives to make that happen is not as big deal when talking about being able to provide for their families long term.

I’m also not talking about players at smaller schools because very few of those kids have a future in basketball beyond their college careers. At least 2/3 of KU’s roster will play pro basketball somewhere in the world so they have much more at stake in regards to their professional careers than some nobody at Directional State University and missing a season can have a big negative impact on their professional hopes.

If you want to talk MLB, we’re seeing exactly what happens when players aren’t willing to make that sacrifice in order to have a season and it’s costing themselves a lot of money and if they cancel their season, that’s even more money they’re costing themselves.

• Trendon Watford back for LSU. Very strong roster, we will find out a lot about Will Wade. Believe Self would be in the FF at a minimum with that Nike stack.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 This was the full sentence I was referring to “ It’ll suck for them to not be able to interact with others during that time, but if they want to increase their odds on being able to play this season, sacrifices need to be made and not having a social life outside of the staff and teammates for 6 months isn’t a huge sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.” and I stand by my argument that you have no idea how big or small a sacrifice what you suggest would be for any individual other than yourself.

• @BShark Bigtime talent, early exits.