K.J. Adams

• Villanova had nba talent but there guys were like Devonte or svi they weren’t top 20 recruits across the board. they developed into nba players

• @jayhawks2010 I was excited as our staff about signing him!

• You can’t just look at the rankings and size/build of a player and assume similar results. You have to look at how they perform in game and try to extrapolate. The points and concerns raised about Adams are definitely valid.

• @jayhawks2010 said in K.J. Adams:

I guarantee he will shoot 38% or higher from 3. And what’s the negative attitude on a top 25 recruit? The kid is a stud! If we want to break down a player, Kendall brown had a high dribble and no outside shot lol. Red flags right there

Shooting percentages very rarely increase when someone moves up in competition.

I’m also trying to figure out why you think me basically saying Bryce Thompson’s not going to be an all-world player out of the gate is me having a negative attitude towards him. He’s a very good player, but he has deficiencies in his game at this point which is why he’s only a 20-25 ranked player.

I also don’t think a post injury Wayne Selden comparison is a negative thing either because Selden was a very good player for KU during his 3 years even if Selden was never a superstar player.

Don’t be shocked when Bryce doesn’t meet you expectations as a freshman and isn’t a OAD player.

• I would be thrilled if we get Bryce for three years, guessing two.

• @BShark me too! Plus fans, what fans? Are going to love him! Great kid and family.

• @BShark said in K.J. Adams:

I would be thrilled if we get Bryce for three years, guessing two.

YA , me too , thinking two years for Bryce, yet who knows MAYBE shock us and stay 3 doubt it though. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in K.J. Adams:

@jayhawks2010 said in K.J. Adams:

Texas hawk 10 your so wrong on Thompson. The guys going to be a stud he’s already taller then he was in High school and he’s a sharp shooter. He’s a first round pick easy! Obviously we need some top 30 talent to be a great team but a foundation of that 2008 title team had a lot of solid top 100 guys (Kaun, Robinson, Jackson). Garret has been a great player and he wasn’t a top 20 player. Even trob wasn’t top 15. Last final four team didn’t have a nba first rounder and was great. Yeah NCAA vilolations and unchecked Nike recruitment of guys to duke and Uk Is hurting ku but Virginia, Villanova all won titles with 3-4 year guys. And by the way kJ is exactly like the Villanova big guys that destroyed ku in the final four. 6”7 shooting big guys with muscle so they don’t get pushed around.

Please point to statistical evidence that Bryce Thompson is a sharpshooter and not what a scout says based on his shooting form.

"Thompson is one of the better perimeter scorers in the 2020 class. He averaged 24.4 points and shot 45.8 percent from 3-point range for the Oklahoma Run PWP grassroots program on the UA Association circuit last spring and summer.

“Thompson is one of the most improved players in the senior class,” ESPN national recruiting director Paul Biancardi said. “He has a tremendous knack in scoring the ball. His ability to make open shots and contested shots is impressive. His passing skills are better than most know about. He’s a high-end, go-to recruit for Kansas.”

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28065089/kansas-lands-five-star-recruit-bryce-thompson

Kid can really stroke it from deep.

• @FarmerJayhawk I’m not seeing where he averaged 24 PPG on Oklahoma PWP’s site for last year, I’m seeing Bryce at 16 PPG.

@FarmerJayhawk I’m not seeing where he averaged 24 PPG on Oklahoma PWP’s site for last year, I’m seeing Bryce at 16 PPG.

Those are the spring session stats from 18; the game log stops at 7/13/18. Missing an entire year of AAU competition. The UAA’s site is down so I can’t get to the 2019 stats.

• Yeah Bryce got a LOT better the last year or so.

Yeah Bryce got a LOT better the last year or so.

UAA’s Twitter says he won the scoring title in that circuit last summer so that’s pretty neat

• @FarmerJayhawk I remember those stats you listed as well. They used to be up on the AAU site.

@FarmerJayhawk I remember those stats you listed as well. They used to be up on the AAU site.

Yeah, I think UA basically shut down its grassroots operation because of covid. No reason to keep the site up if there aren’t any games. Wish I would’ve saved them. Oklahoma never published his senior stats either so can’t find those.

• Really enjoying all the posts.

Concerning KJ… my opinion is only based on these two clips. What I see, I like. I see a young man who will probably be here for 3 to 4 years, but can offer some contribution from day 1. He still has another year of high school ball, and I bet he either puts on more height or girth, maybe both. He has a great build already, and that means he’s a guy that won’t be restricted in his early days at Kansas as we wait for physical development.

I wouldn’t say he’s a super fast twitch player, but then, he has muscle mass as a junior in high school. He may fool some people at Kansas and suddenly be called a “late bloomer.” I see aggressiveness, and you really can’t teach that. Add that with size and strength and how can anyone think he won’t contribute. I don’t see how anyone can put him in the same breath as Ellis or Lawson. His aggressiveness and body separate him completely.

I may be trying to paint him with rosy glasses… but I wonder if what is mistaken for slow twitch is a guy who just plays under control. We’ve experienced off-the-charts fast twitch with players like Wiggins… who really couldn’t translate that on the court. Granted… OAD!

• Lawson was extremely aggressive on offense. I would say too aggressive in some circumstances but that was a fairly bad team that lacked shot makers/creators and he was needed to take on an offensive load.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in K.J. Adams:

The Oracle has spoken. https://twitter.com/andrew__slater/status/1288992324341698560?s=21

curious as to why I don’t see Slater’s pick off 247 -don’t find his CB - -found a couple of new ones for us - -giving us all 10 CB’S does slater not work for 247 anymore ?

• @jayballer73 Slater isn’t associated with 247 anymore and I believe he can no longer cm pick. He essentially gives his picks by tweeting now.

• @drgnslayr said in K.J. Adams:

Really enjoying all the posts.

Concerning KJ… my opinion is only based on these two clips. What I see, I like. I see a young man who will probably be here for 3 to 4 years, but can offer some contribution from day 1. He still has another year of high school ball, and I bet he either puts on more height or girth, maybe both. He has a great build already, and that means he’s a guy that won’t be restricted in his early days at Kansas as we wait for physical development.

I wouldn’t say he’s a super fast twitch player, but then, he has muscle mass as a junior in high school. He may fool some people at Kansas and suddenly be called a “late bloomer.” I see aggressiveness, and you really can’t teach that. Add that with size and strength and how can anyone think he won’t contribute. I don’t see how anyone can put him in the same breath as Ellis or Lawson. His aggressiveness and body separate him completely.

I may be trying to paint him with rosy glasses… but I wonder if what is mistaken for slow twitch is a guy who just plays under control. We’ve experienced off-the-charts fast twitch with players like Wiggins… who really couldn’t translate that on the court. Granted… OAD!

My Perry and Dedric comparison isn’t a comparison of playing style or skill set or mentality. Perry and Dedric were not very athletic and we’re often shut down and taken out of games by good defenses. Hell, good defenses shut Doke down last year and was an NPOY candidate, but still only a notch or two more athletic than Perry or Dedric. KJ Adams has similar athleticism to Perry and Dedric which means he’s going to have plenty of nights throughout his career where’s he’s going to struggle to get into any kind of rhythm. It also means he’s more than likely going to be a big liability on defense similar to how Perry was.

Andrew Wiggins didn’t have and issue with his physical abilities, his issues have always been between his ears. He’s never been an aggressive player and that’s always been the root of his issues, not translating his skills to games.

• Man your just all over this athleticism thing aren’t you. Have you seen this kid in person several times? From the videos I watch the kid doesn’t look that unathletic. The kid is suppose to be a good rebounder and has a lot of great traits. Sure he’s not Zion vertical out there, if he was, he would be a top 20 pick lol. Strength and lateral quickness are also a big part of athleticism. Just bc you can jump doesn’t mean your necessarily a good defender or athletic. There have been plenty of super athletic players at ku that have been flops or mediocre bc they had poor coordination/skills etc. hell if the kid is even half of what Lawson or Ellis were he’s a good pickup. Sorry the staff missed out on Kendall brown but get over it

Man your just all over this athleticism thing aren’t you. Have you seen this kid in person several times? From the videos I watch the kid doesn’t look that unathletic. The kid is suppose to be a good rebounder and has a lot of great traits. Sure he’s not Zion vertical out there, if he was, he would be a top 20 pick lol. Strength and lateral quickness are also a big part of athleticism. Just bc you can jump doesn’t mean your necessarily a good defender or athletic. There have been plenty of super athletic players at ku that have been flops or mediocre bc they had poor coordination/skills etc. hell if the kid is even half of what Lawson or Ellis were he’s a good pickup. Sorry the staff missed out on Kendall brown but get over it

Have you seen this kid in person several times? From the videos I watch the kid doesn’t look that unathletic.

Have I seen Adams in person? No. I just coach basketball and know what to look for in evaluating a player. I also know the level of competition in the Austin area where he played is shit so his numbers were put up against bad competition. Westlake played one good program last year, which just so happened to be Sunrise, and got ran out of the gym by Sunrinse.

Strength and lateral quickness are also a big part of athleticism. Just bc you can jump doesn’t mean your necessarily a good defender or athletic. There have been plenty of super athletic players at ku that have been flops or mediocre bc they had poor coordination/skills etc.

Adams is strong for his age, but he doesn’t have good lateral quickness. He’s not someone who’s ever going to be a good defender and doesn’t appear to have the length to be able to play at the 5 either. There’s a reason why KJ has plummeted down the recruiting rankings in the last year or so and the ceiling on his game due to his limited athleticism is a big reason why.

I agree with your second part since it doesn’t appear you are aware of my thoughts on Agbaji. I’m not going to sing the praises of anyone who’s athletic just because they’re athletic when there’s not much skill to go with it, like Ochai Agbaji. Agbaji’s only positive attribute on the floor right now is that he’s an above average defender on ball defender, but even that comes with the caveat that when he’s off the ball, he’s prone to mental lapses and losing his man when his man is moving without the ball.

if the kid is even half of what Lawson or Ellis were he’s a good pickup. Sorry the staff missed out on Kendall brown but get over it

Adams and Brown don’t play the same position so my thoughts on each player have nothing to do with the other, so my thoughts on KJ Adams would be the same regardless of whether or not KU had landed Brown. Kendall Brown is a very good player, but like Adams, doesn’t play a position of need for KU. As a 3, Brown would mostly be fighting with Christian Braun and Agbaji for minutes whereas Baylor doesn’t have much competition at the wing spot when Brown will arrive as the spot is currently manned by probably the second best defender in nation behind Garrett in Mark Vital.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

I always appreciate your response and more than often agree. I know I’d rather have every player playing at fast twitch level compared to a slow twitch level. But I’ve seen many players succeed without being super blessed with high twitch capabilities. I think aggressiveness is still a huge factor and I remember so many times when Perry and Dedric let up sometimes after being rejected. Even the fast twitch players get rejected sometimes (but less). Body build and strength is also a monster factor. Right away I think about Charles Barkley… someone not blessed with too much fast twitch but dominated the boards in the NBA.

Fast twitch is a great benefit… but not a factor by itself that will decide if a player can be effective or not. I do agree with you and others, that it is a factor that comes more into play in D1 versus high school.

• @drgnslayr Charles Barkley was not slow twitch until he became a fat ass later in his career at the end of his Phoenix run and while with the Rockets. There’s a reason Barkley was one of the most common comparisons for Zion and that was because of his abnormal athleticism for a player of his build.

Adams has some skills that will give him a chance to have a decent career like his shooting and passing, but there’s a reason his recruiting ranking dropped off a cliff though. Unless Adams grows another inch or two though, his strength may ultimately be rendered mostly ineffective because he’ll be too short to stick in the paint because he’d get swallowed up by length. As a 4 on perimeter with his skill set, he’d get beat like a red headed step child on defense. I’m guessing his wingspan is about 6-9 or 6-10 based on his highlight videos which isn’t something he can do anything about unless he grows taller.

Basically, I just don’t see enough in Adams to believe he’ll ever be more than an off the bench rotation guy for KU looking at his skill set, ceiling, and KU’s roster composition. Right now, the only KU front court player I see KJ Adams having a higher ceiling than is Jalen Wilson who I honestly don’t think will stay at KU after this upcoming season. He just doesn’t jump off the screen to me in his highlight videos and that’s with Adams playing against worse competition than Grimes did who I consistently called overrated and cited the quality of HS competition as well. I’m not calling Adams overrated because I think he’s rated in the range he should in at this point and I think Adams is better suited for the mid major level instead of KU.

Best case with KJ Adams is he grows another inch or two his senior year and then KU could stick him in the low post so he’s not out having to guard on the perimeter like he would if he stays a 4.

• I guess agree to disagree. Obviously you never know for sure how a kid will produce when they get to college but I’ve seen enough to give the guy a chance. I also find your evaluation of Texas basketball a little comical. Texas produces a ton of football and basketball talent every year. It seems like your a little over the top about Texas kids like Wilson. Hopefully the next kid self gets you will like more. Do you like clemence? He is less athletic but a little taller and a better shooter.

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VzOwZxLJ6R8

Here’s a video If anybody wants to watch, shows a matchup of west lake ( with Adams and his teammate a player who went SMU) vs Langston love and a team that had Will baker (he was just hurt). Adams has a few dunks and blocks. Plus looks like just terrible competition lol…Those teams would wipe the floor with most kc area teams lol

• @FarmerJayhawk Yeah, I was looking for his senior stats as well to post, but couldn’t find them. Saw the 18 point something stats, but knew that those weren’t even close to what he did this year.

I guess agree to disagree. Obviously you never know for sure how a kid will produce when they get to college but I’ve seen enough to give the guy a chance. I also find your evaluation of Texas basketball a little comical. Texas produces a ton of football and basketball talent every year. It seems like your a little over the top about Texas kids like Wilson. Hopefully the next kid self gets you will like more. Do you like clemence? He is less athletic but a little taller and a better shooter.

You might want to pay attention to my user name before you decide my ability to evaluate the overall basketball talent level of where I live is comical. There’s a reason why most top players from Texas, like Zach Clemence, transfer to prep/private schools elsewhere. Did you know that Zach Clemence and KJ Adams played against each other last season as Sunrise (Clemence) played Westlake (Adams) and that Sunrise beat Westlake by almost 30 points, yet Westlake was still considered one of the top teams in Texas last year. Did you know that only 8 out of the top 150 on 24/7’s 2021 player rankings play in Texas and most of those players are from the D/FW area which if you’ve paid any attention is where I’ve said the best basketball talent in Texas is.

As far as football recruiting in Texas, yes Texas is a top 4 recruiting area in the nation for football, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality basketball talent in the state. Do you know why Texas produces as many basketball players as it does? It’s because Texas has the 2nd biggest population in the US, but quantity does not equal quality. If you happened to browse the 24/7 player rankings for the 2021 class, you’ll notice that only 8 out of the top 150 on 24/7’s 2021 player rankings play in Texas and most of those players are from the D/FW area which if you’ve paid any attention previously is where I’ve said the one hotbed of basketball talent in Texas is located.

Lastly, I’m gonna disagree on Zach Clemence being less athletic than KJ Adams. Zach Clemence has also done a much better job of building his game around his strengths and is one of, if not the best back to basket players in the 2021 class.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 do you know much about Ed’Xavior Rhodes? KU offered and he is from Dallas Skyline same as Marcus Garrett so I would think of Self really wants him then he can get that done.

• @BShark I saw your post and gotta be honest, I’ve never heard of the guy. Saw where they were basically saying he is a crystal ball KU commit. If that happens (and I trust in Self and Co.) I don’t see Wilson sticking around.

@Texas-Hawk-10 I have never called out your basketball acumen, appreciate what you contribute to the forum. I just disagree with you from time to time. For example, I remember being on Ellis’ bandwagon when he was a freshman in high school. What was your assessment of him? Did you think he was a good pickup?

• Lol alright well if the kid picks ku today then I hope your wrong. Also sunrise is an academy they are different then a standard high school and play teams all throughout the country. Of course those type of programs will have more talent. Westlake is like a Lawrence or Olathe school In their region. Also your making too big of deal about high school competition. Kids play AAU and that’s were their rankings mostly come from. Braun did fine his freshman year at ku and Kansas 6a teams are consistently much worse then the area that Adams plays in. Also of course I know your from the Texas area. I’m saying your weirdly biased against Texas players. Oh and it’s odd that your such an expert about teams from his area but haven’t seen him play, hmmm!

@Texas-Hawk-10 do you know much about Ed’Xavior Rhodes? KU offered and he is from Dallas Skyline same as Marcus Garrett so I would think of Self really wants him then he can get that done.

Haven’t heard anything about him and there’s not any video out there of him, just general team highlights that don’t show enough to get a good read on him. With the number of 4’s KU is after in 2021, there’s something we’re not aware of yet going on whether it’s sanctions or Jalen Wilson transferring or possibly even Enaruna turning pro and going back to Europe after this season. Looking at Rhodes’ offer list, there might be something there.

@Texas-Hawk-10 do you know much about Ed’Xavior Rhodes? KU offered and he is from Dallas Skyline same as Marcus Garrett so I would think of Self really wants him then he can get that done.

From poking around a bit I can say they like his athleticism and defensive ability. Projects as a rim protector with plus length. Heard a 7’ wingspan but hard to say since they’ve never seen him in person.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in K.J. Adams:

@BShark said in K.J. Adams:

From poking around a bit I can say they like his athleticism and defensive ability. Projects as a rim protector with plus length. Heard a 7’ wingspan but hard to say since they’ve never seen him in person.

He could probably play at the 5 in that case.

@Texas-Hawk-10 I also think TGF is mainly going to play the four and his plan is to be OAD.

Lol alright well if the kid picks ku today then I hope your wrong. Also sunrise is an academy they are different then a standard high school and play teams all throughout the country. Of course those type of programs will have more talent. Westlake is like a Lawrence or Olathe school In their region. Also your making too big of deal about high school competition. Kids play AAU and that’s were their rankings mostly come from. Braun did fine his freshman year at ku and Kansas 6a teams are consistently much worse then the area that Adams plays in. Also of course I know your from the Texas area. I’m saying your weirdly biased against Texas players. Oh and it’s odd that your such an expert about teams from his area but haven’t seen him play, hmmm!

I’m not sure what your hang up on comparing Texas to Kansas HS basketball is considering I’ve never made any comparisons between the Kansas/KC basketball scene being superior to Texas. The sheer number of high schools in Texas means there’s naturally going to be more good players here than Kansas. I’m pretty here in Houston alone there’s more 6A schools than entire state considering the city of Houston has more than twice the population of the entire state of Kansas.

AAU is also a flawed way to evaluate players because it’s more of a showcase without much coaching and development actually happening. HS is where that stuff happens because those coaches spend a lot more time with the players.

In regards to Braun, there’s also a reason he moved from Burlington to KC and that was to play better competition compared to where he was at.

I’m also not sure why you think it’s weird I familiar with the quality of competition Adams plays against despite having not seen him in person. I live in Houston which is about 3 hours away from Austin so it’s not exactly like I can go drive over and watch him whenever.

If you were here a couple of years ago, you would know that I did go see Quentin Grimes play a few times and called him being massively overrated based on his final recruiting rankings from the start. Before that, I have probably been Marcus Garrett’s biggest supporter here ever since he committed to KU even when most here were ripping him to shreds his first two years.

My opinions of players are not based on where there are from, but what their abilities and skills are from the their videos. Because I’m from Texas, I can usually give more detailed insight into the quality of competition here when KU is recruiting a player from Texaa. And if that player happens to play in the Houston area, like Grimes and Ben McLemore his senior year, I will go watch them play when I can. I don’t remember if I was posting here yet or not or if I was still posting at KUSports when McLemore was being recruited, but during that year he was sitting out, I kept saying he was only going to play one year at KU.

My evaluations of players and what they’ll become tends to right more times than not.

• Ku getting him

• https://247sports.com/college/kansas/board/103719/Contents/kansas-adds-top-100-forward-kj-adams-to-class-149730466/

Should be a free article. Stuff in there about why he picked KU, how Self thinks he fits etc

• Always happy to get good news. Welcome aboard.

• All things considered (the NCAA cloud and all), if Coach can sign Bates and a solid PG and maybe a big, I’m good. That would easily be a top 6 or 7 class.

• Great news! Now they need to land Hickman!

• @Marco Nolan Hickman is the PG the staff is after and Zach Clemence probably ends up being the low post player in this class. And as mentioned above, KU offered another 4 today.

Tamar Bates would be a nice developmental player to add, but not near the priority of Hickman and honestly, if KU adds Hickman, he’ll probably spend most of his time at the 2 next to Harris to give Self his preferred dual PG line up and making Bates a luxury signing.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

I’m more interested in Adam’s handles and jump shot than if he’s fast-twitch or not. I have more confidence in Self adapting his strategy around finding the right 5 to put on the floor. We saw that this last year. Going big didn’t work. If he can use his size and still motor well, he’ll be an asset in a smaller lineup.

He’s a Jayhawk now and I welcome him to Lawrence!

@Marco Nolan Hickman is the PG the staff is after and Zach Clemence probably ends up being the low post player in this class. And as mentioned above, KU offered another 4 today.

Tamar Bates would be a nice developmental player to add, but not near the priority of Hickman and honestly, if KU adds Hickman, he’ll probably spend most of his time at the 2 next to Harris to give Self his preferred dual PG line up and making Bates a luxury signing.

To clarify KU “offered” Rhodes in January. Rivals lists it but 24/7 does not however. It is my understanding that KU’s interest got a little higher recently. It’s also possible he is taller than his listed height by now, as that likely has not been updated. If KU got him that would be three developmental guys* on the roster that would be able to play the 5. If Dave goes, someone like Curry or pulling off a miracle with Kepnang becomes a high priority.

*Rhodes, Muscadin and Clemence with Zach being the guy most likely to contribute next year imo.

I would go as far to say KU/Self needs Hickman. KU probably won’t make the next cut for JD Davison, Auburn is all over Frankie Collins and Hunter Sallis can be plugged into next year’s UNC depth chart if they want him. So Hickman is far and away the best option for a PG. It would also be nice for Townsend to actually land someone.

Of course, Bates is a player I would absolutely love to see in Lawrence but he doesn’t play the same position. He could possibly develop into a PG but right now he is more of a 2/wing.

• @BShark Zach Clemence isn’t a developmental player. He’s someone that can play right away as Dave’s back up and step into the starting spot after Dave graduates.

I’m not calling Bates a PG or saying that Hickman is a 2. I’m saying because of roster composition it’s likely Hickman would be playing off ball like Graham did when he played next to Mason with Dajuan Harris as the lead guard in the Mason role. I also think it’s likely Hickman would come off the bench his first year or two until Thompson goes pro.

• I think Zach will need time to not get pushed around inside as the 5, but I could/would love to be wrong about that. Love his game overall and I do think he plays immediately next year.

Right I wasn’t really commenting on what you were saying for that part. Just what I think their positions are which makes Hickman more of a need because we need more guys with elite ball handling as we know Self prefers two guys that can really handle it playing at the same time when he can. Harris is probably the only guy on the roster next year that fits due to Garrett graduating. Bryce potentially could, I know he’s been coming along as a pg.

• Hope we land Hickman. With Garrett then being gone, it is certainly a priority. We would still have Jossell, but is he even a true PG or a very small two?

• @Marco Jossell is a PG, but he’s probably not a viable option at PG in the near future at KU and there’s a strong probability he ends up transferring.

My biggest concern with both him and Harris are their size. Harris is listed at 6-1, 160 lbs. and Jossell at 5-11, 155 lbs. which is tiny. With the Big 12 being one of the more physical leagues, I do have doubts about durability with both players, but Harris especially since he’s projecting to play some minutes and take over for Garrett next year.

Just from a durability standpoint, Hickman is probably the staff’s current top priority in recruiting because KU desperately needs another player that can be a lead guard because while Thompson and Braun are good ball handlers, they’re not lead guards though.

I think Zach will need time to not get pushed around inside as the 5, but I could/would love to be wrong about that. Love his game overall and I do think he plays immediately next year.

Right I wasn’t really commenting on what you were saying for that part. Just what I think their positions are which makes Hickman more of a need because we need more guys with elite ball handling as we know Self prefers two guys that can really handle it playing at the same time when he can. Harris is probably the only guy on the roster next year that fits due to Garrett graduating. Bryce potentially could, I know he’s been coming along as a pg.

Clemence should be fine by his second year to handle playing in the low post. As a HS junior he’s listed at 210 and probably comes to KU in the 220-225 range and then it’ll be up to the new S&C coach to determine Clemence’s ideal playing weight which I’m guessing will be in the 240 range which Clemence should be able to get close to by his sophomore year.