Big 12 Suspensions

• benshawks08 said:

@Marco No word has a “very specific meaning.” Language is about a combination of denotation and connotation. Both are constantly in flux as languages blend and meld, grow and die. Don’t think anyone is saying don’t use this word or that but are instead making sure people understand the different connotations a word might have. Hate speech is still protected speech in America but that doesn’t mean you can say whatever you want without consequences. The words we use show who we are, especially on the internet where things like nonverbal indicators and tone of voice are wholly

I did not say very specific meaning, but yeah it’s meaning is pretty very specific.

• @Marco Guess that’s what I get for trying to post at 2:30 in the morning! Sorry for misquoting you. Did you edit your post or was I dreaming that it said something different the last time I read it? Again, it was 2:30 so that is possible I was!

And no, it’s not specific at all. It’s quite muddy and vague at this point.

• This led me to look it up. Very interesting (from Google):

“a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.”

• @mayjay Yep. That seems to be the exact definition people use it for today. Hasn’t changed a bit!

• Ralphie May’s take - no word is the problem, it’s the venom behind them.

More of the same, then makes his defense for Kobe. Funny, but crude.

• @dylans

Interesting perspective to overuse words to eventually strip them of their power.

Not sure about that. And that may work for youth. Not sure it will work for elders.

I’m thinking of the n-word and I’m thinking of some elder people in the south who were often threatened or beaten while being called that word out of hatred. Is it realistic for them to learn to stop cringing if they hear that word overused? I have my doubts.

I don’t think words are all the same or should be treated the same. I don’t think thug is equal to the n-word. Thug doesn’t have the history here in America like the n-word has.

I know a lot of black people that never gave young black people a thumbs up on using the n-word, even when they changed the word by adding an “a” to it.

Certain words, like the n-word, have too much negative history associated with it. People were beaten and killed within the context of that word. Thug is just a word that has been hijacked recently by many.

Just my opinion.

• I HATE the N word. Now have to tell you some experiences I used to have.

When I used to live in Wichita and I would go play ball at the park, usually was like me and maybe one or two other white be there playing and the rest Blacks.

Always got a kick out of this we would all be playing and one black would be hot dogging and then like drive to the hole and another ol boy raise up and slap the hell out of and start talking all kinds of smack - things like get that S- - - out of here N - - - - - . sorry you have to fill in the blanks. They use to call one another that ALL DAY, as much as I hate the word was kind of funny listening to them talk their smack to one another. - The would call one another that al the time.

Now it was fine for them to do that , BUT let me tell you If you were a White or anyone else ummmm you better not be saying anything like that , you best be remembering where you at and who your with lol.

Sorry I apologize I realize that really isn’t what your all discussing as much - - but just thinking and relate, myself I really have a huge dis like for the N word. Got several black friends - to me that word is just total dis respect. - -Anyways ok i’m out. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @drgnslayr Not a word I use. To me the more salient point is that words are just air, it’s the intent behind them that’s important. More on point - it’s silly that other word/symbols get hi-jacked like rainbow in his other skit.

• I’m just not into calling people names with bad intent. If I did I would feel pathetic for not being smart enough to communicate more effectively. I don’t think hate is any kind of vehicle I want to ride in.

Peace all!

• @jayballer73

Sounds familiar to my playground days except I may not have been as pale as you.

I got so tired of hearing that word. It wore me out. And it convinced me that when some of the black culture accepted using that word it was like they chose to carry bags of sand on their heads. It’s excess baggage.

I knew a lot of people on that court and I can’t think of many (any) that ever made much of a quality of life for themselves.

I compare that to black friends that never accepted that word as part of their vocabulary and they had more successful lives.

Someone trained at the right background would better comment about this. I can only share what I experienced… but it seemed like anyone who uses that word regularly carries the heavy weight behind it and life is tough carrying all that weight.

• @drgnslayr If you use the N word regardless of your race I consider you uneducated and simple minded. It’s insanely stupid, I feel the same way about the B word. A bunch of girls walk into a bar calling each other B****, it’s all laughs. Until someone else from the bar calls one of them that name, then there is a fight. Same story with a bunch of guys saying the N word.

• I can’t think of any words that I’m so attached to that I can’t just let them go. (Maybe the F word). There are hundreds of phrases and rhymes that a lot of us learned as kids that were racist, anti-semitic, anti-native, misogynistic etc. Harmless stuff, right? Sure. That fucking tomahawk chop and chant for the Chiefs. Ugh. Ten years from now we’ll all (hopefully) be blushingly embarrassed about that. It’s culturally ignorant. It’s just dumb white stupid. Some of us never thought about language until we got out of our little enclaves, got older, met people, learned some stuff, and realized that rhetoric could be inherently toxic. Some of us never got out of it.

Privileged white people (GUYs especially) don’t have to think about words. That’s why being called out as being a racist is such an confrontational insult…whoa, me? I don’t care about race. Sure. You never had to. Don’t beat yourselves up, cupcakes, about not using “THUGS” to describe black basketball players… Good grief. Let the words go. It’s really the absolute least we can do.

End of a rare rant for me. Peace. Go Chefs.

• @DanR

“Go Chefs?”

I like that! We can all wear chef’s toques to games and we can up the tailgate parties to sophisticated yummies and wine instead of beer!

• Someone needs a snickers

• benshawks08 said:

@Marco Guess that’s what I get for trying to post at 2:30 in the morning! Sorry for misquoting you. Did you edit your post or was I dreaming that it said something different the last time I read it? Again, it was 2:30 so that is possible I was!

And no, it’s not specific at all. It’s quite muddy and vague at this point.

No, I didn’t edit it. But guess what? We’re good. I was just offering an opinion, as were you.

• mayjay said:

This led me to look it up. Very interesting (from Google):

“a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.”

Lol! How dare you get all technical on us!

• kjayhawks said:

@drgnslayr If you use the N word regardless of your race I consider you uneducated and simple minded. It’s insanely stupid, I feel the same way about the B word. A bunch of girls walk into a bar calling each other B****, it’s all laughs. Until someone else from the bar calls one of them that name, then there is a fight. Same story with a bunch of guys saying the N word.

Agree on all counts. How much do you want to bet that women who refer to themselves as bitches also treat themselves and are treated by others as such?

• @wissox

What in flippin flip is going on with Wisconsin? Kobe King quits the team, Davidson a low blow puncher and suspension. Seems like Gard on hot water. What ya say??

• Marco said:

mayjay said:

This led me to look it up. Very interesting (from Google):

Lol! How dare you get all technical on us!

Actually, I found it interesting due to what must be thousands of novels written for mass-market publishing and Kindle that are based on secretive cabals and religious assassination squads. Like the Da Vinci Code. I thought these were all “pigments” of writers’ “colorful” imaginations!

• @BeddieKU23 Yeah, the team is in dissaray a bit. There’s discontent on the message boards with Gard. King proves there’s some discontent on the team with him. Rod Strickland’s son left last season after 1 unproductive season and blamed Gard.

Like KU, Wisconsin has played one of the top schedules in the country, last I looked UW was #1 SOS and KU #3. That’s taken a beating on the team.

Davison is one of my favorite players on the team and I’ve always bristled at the criticism towards him. The thing the other night may or may not have been dirty. I guess when you’re hand goes there, and i’m not sure why it did, people are going to assume the worst, and that’s fair I guess in this case. He’s an indespensible player on the Badgers. With the Badgers SOS, they should make the tourney with about 6-7 more wins. UW is through the most difficult stretch of their schedule after MSU tomorrow. So it’s doable, but probably not the year for a deep tourney run.

• @wissox

I was seeing this wasn’t Davidson’s first suspension for the same issue, I believe it happened last year as well. Not a good trend to be setting and in this latest one it was Iowa’s Coaches son. Yikes.

• @BeddieKU23 Not remembering he was suspended for the first one. That one was interpreted by some as a two childhood friends messing around on the court, which apparently he and the Hauser kid were. Of course that incident was a costly one in that game against Marquette.

• https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28620716/houston-coach-admits-dejon-jarreau-bit-cincy-player-suspends-one-game

Bizarre, players now bite.

In the last two weeks we’ve seen a brawl, a player stepped on his chest, a low blow and now a biting incident.

• BeddieKU23 said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28620716/houston-coach-admits-dejon-jarreau-bit-cincy-player-suspends-one-game

Bizarre, players now bite.

In the last two weeks we’ve seen a brawl, a player stepped on his chest, a low blow and now a biting incident.

Ya and that’s what we call COLLEGE Basketball ?

• @BeddieKU23 Kid is literally hungry for victory.