2021 Recruiting

• @BShark said in 2021 Recruiting:

Zach Clemence wants to play in the big 12. Hope it’s for the good guys.

Spoiler: it is.

• @BShark finally good news!

• @Crimsonorblue22 love some of the quotes there. Sounds like Zach was at KU games when he was 10 or 11 years old.

• In lol news, we did not make eventual Duke player Pat Baldwin JR’s top 10. I believe the entire top 10 is Nike, so, yeah.

In lol news, we did not make eventual Duke player Pat Baldwin JR’s top 10. I believe the entire top 10 is Nike, so, yeah.

Maybe he goes to his dad’s school. Haha

http://m.kusports.com/news/2020/may/11/kansas-basketball-lands-commitment-4-star-forward-/

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Awesome! I watched a few of his videos and it looks like he is a pretty versatile player. Can play inside, can shoot 3’s, and has a pretty decent handle for a 6’9 guy. Might need to add some weight.

• Think I’m gonna go out on a little bit of a limb & take a chance and say ,I think I would be almost shocked if Kendall doesn’t end up here at KU. Sure doesn’t hurt with Zach committing to play here next year either , can only help I would think. - ROCK CHALK ALLD AY LONG BABY

• @KirkIsMyHinrich

Definitely needs some weight. The usual. Upper and lower body strength. If and when he makes it to campus he is the kind of stretch 4 that other programs have used against KU plenty in the past. He could also be a small ball 5 depending on how other parts of his game develop

• @jayballer73

With the amount of time he’s spent on campus at games it would definitely be a shock if he doesn’t commit. Weirder things have happened. Fits a need as well if Agbaji/Grant Foster were to move on after next season to the next level…

• According to his mom getting the KU offer was his main goal that he had been working toward for years. More here (article is vip)

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/board/103719/Contents/where-his-heart-is-ku-hoops-dream-school-for-zach-clemence-147057700/

• @BShark

Love it. Great job by the staff locking him down early

• “Two years ago, Clemence embarked on a journey to put himself in position to play for a school such as Kansas. After averaging 12.4 points, 12.2 rebounds and 4.0 blocks for Antonian Prep in San Antonio as a freshman, he transferred to Findlay Prep, which had been a factory for churning out high-major players. When the school in Henderson, Nev., closed its doors last May, Clemence went looking for a new home. He had considered attending Sunrise Christian when he first left San Antonio because his grassroots coach at the time, Justin Berry, had played at Newman University in Wichita, Kan., alongside Barnwell. His move to Kansas didn’t hurt the Jayhawks, because not only has it been easier to visit Lawrence but Sunrise Christian also has a lot of the KU offense in its playbook.

He fits the way they play, and it should be an easy transition,” Barnwell said.

Clemence committed so early because he said he felt comfortable with KU and didn’t see any reason to wait and potentially miss out on the opportunity. It also didn’t hurt that his mom has always rooted for the Jayhawks. He has been on KU’s radar — with assistant coach Norm Roberts leading the recruitment — since his sophomore season, and his profile shot up in January when he starred at the Hoophall Classic in Springfield, Mass. He scored 25 points and made 6 of 7 3s in a blowout win over Hillcrest Prep, which featured five-star big men Makur Maker (who has declared for the NBA Draft) and Mike Foster (ranked ninth in the 2021 class by 247). The game was televised on ESPN3 and played in front of an army of college coaches.

“I think he showed that he’s every bit as good as those guys and the driving force behind us getting a big win on TV,” Barnwell said.

Oh, okay then.

Kansas beat out Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Arkansas for Clemence. It’s a huge recruiting win for KU with the NCAA battle looming. Clemence said the coaches discussed that with him, but he’s not worried. “I’ve heard it all,” he said. “I’ve seen it all, but Kansas is where it’s at.”

Seems locked in too.

• Of the recent offers at PG JD Davison & Nolan Hickman stick out. Davison has elite level athleticism hence his 5 star status. Hickman has great handles, quickness and play-making ability. I think he’s the more attainable recruit of the two. Really like Hickman’s tape at PG.

• I don’t Hurt anymore, now that we’ve nabbed Clemence. Our recruiting is on the upswing (gee, I wonder why?).

• @jayballer73 said in 2021 Recruiting:

Think I’m gonna go out on a little bit of a limb & take a chance and say ,I think I would be almost shocked if Kendall doesn’t end up here at KU. Sure doesn’t hurt with Zach committing to play here next year either , can only help I would think. - ROCK CHALK ALLD AY LONG BABY

We good

• @FarmerJayhawk said in 2021 Recruiting:

@jayballer73 said in 2021 Recruiting:

Think I’m gonna go out on a little bit of a limb & take a chance and say ,I think I would be almost shocked if Kendall doesn’t end up here at KU. Sure doesn’t hurt with Zach committing to play here next year either , can only help I would think. - ROCK CHALK ALLD AY LONG BABY

We good

Light work.

• Boy , they extending this recruiting dead period till the end of July, is gonna cause some really interesting tactics. Like the Head guy at Sunrise said, causing a lot of staffs todo a lot more watching of film and relying on Coaches of these teams , these guys to provide vital information about recruits such as Kendall which we are recruiting - -such as Grady also.

These Coaches are really gonna have to sell the Schools , seeing as there is no on Campus visit. Coaches can’t have one on one in face contact with recruits. - -Lots of Zoom calls - -lots of phone calls. Gonna be interesting how this all plays out for schools. ROCKCHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• A lack of summer AAU ball is going to make recruiting much more interesting as well. Players that would’ve shot up the rankings and players that would’ve plateaued and dropped in the rankings won’t see their rankings shift much, if any this summer.

I’m also curious how much the lack of an AAU season will affect the influence Adidas, Nike, and Under Armour have on the 2021 class and where players end up.

• FWIW read where we made cut of final 10 , so doesn’t mean a lot I don’t think - - not when it’s top 10 - -top 5 ehh more likely but top 10?

K J Adams out of West Lake Texas listed his top 10 : Iowa , UCF , Iona , Texas , Oklahoma , Texas Tech , G Town , Baylor , Arkansas , & KU

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Beard didn’t pull another one out his B - - - and land him - -Adams is the # 63 rated player right now. Not sure how much of a need for someone like this , another situation I guess of who all leaves after this year huh ? - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Mentioned this one earlier in this thread. Mac Etienne , 6’10 C , read the article on him today and his update in his recruitment. - over 29 offers.

Very skilled with Back to the Basket. Rebounding & defending the paint strength of his game , averaged 15 ppg - - 13 rbg - -& 4 blks per game his junior Season.

Said some things he was looking for in the team he commits to , a team with a great pg & wants to be able to play a freshman

Was talking about his virtual visit with KU . Saying Townsend and Coach Self stressing how they need frontcourt guy that can fit their scheme that they have. Coach Self Mentioned the Morris Twins & Joel Embiid that were drafted at his position . Coach Self talking about how KU was favorite to win the whole thing last year & his success he has had in the Big 12. Shows that KU has great tradition and how great the program is

I don’t think there is much chance he lands here but I would take him for sure if he chose to come , in need of some good big men top 60 player right now pretty sure that will go up. To many offers to mention all to list some : Louis , Marq , Syra , U Conn , UCLA , Illinois , Seton Hall , Miami , KU , Ohio St - -to name some. I feel from the Sounds - sounds like he really like Illinois but we could sure use him for sure. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• 26 of the Top 100 is already committed to a program for the 21 class.

• @jayballer73

Adams is good and I like his game. Would be a nice 4 man and seems like the Big-12 makes up half of his Top 10 so good chance he ends up in the conference. I think KU is after someone in the Azubuike/McCormack mold and that wouldn’t be Adams.

• @BeddieKU23 said in 2021 Recruiting:

@jayballer73

Adams is good and I like his game. Would be a nice 4 man and seems like the Big-12 makes up half of his Top 10 so good chance he ends up in the conference. I think KU is after someone in the Azubuike/McCormack mold and that wouldn’t be Adams.

He’s from Austin, we’ve seen this rodeo before.

• Are we even in the least bit trying to recruit Langston Love anymore or have we went a different direction ? - curious he has his top 11 with KU in it.

Baylor , Texas A & M , UCLA , Texas , Stanford , Texas Tech , Oklahoma State , Villanova , Illinois , & KU -do we know? - -is the staff still interested or what ? - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

-is the staff still interested or what

I’m sure they would be, but KU does not appear to really be in that race.

@jayballer73 said in 2021 Recruiting:

-is the staff still interested or what

I’m sure they would be, but KU does not appear to really be in that race.

just curious as I read this afternoon we had made his top 11 - - whoopie lol

• Something to think about. Do you realize that there is a chance may be a small chance but still a chance that the Big 12 could have the two # 1 ranked players in the country playing in the league this year. - Cade Cunningham the # 1 ranked player for 2020 that’s going to play down in Stillwater & then Jonathan Kuminga who is the # 1 ranked player for 2021 is very seriously thinking about re-classifying to2020 and Texas Tech is in his top 5… They are saying they think he might well re- classify as he named a top 5. Yet he is also considering the NBA G League

If beard happens to land him - - - - - - umm

• Recruiting dead period extended to July 31 now.

• KK Chandler to Sunrise. They’re going to be incredible.

KK Chandler to Sunrise. They’re going to be incredible.

you talk about loaded. Brown , Dick , Chandler , & Clemons right ?

@FarmerJayhawk said in 2021 Recruiting:

KK Chandler to Sunrise. They’re going to be incredible.

you talk about loaded. Brown , Dick , Chandler , & Clemons right ?

Yessir. Hope KK doesn’t get into Brown’s ear about Nike

• Chet Holmgren, do we have a chance? Is he even going to play college ball? Needs to put on weight, but the guy never stops going.

• @Marco said in 2021 Recruiting:

Chet Holmgren, do we have a chance? Is he even going to play college ball? Needs to put on weight, but the guy never stops going. It doesn’t look like Kansas has reached out to him and we are not on his list of schools on 24/7

Chet Holmgren, do we have a chance? Is he even going to play college ball? Needs to put on weight, but the guy never stops going.

Negative. Senior Dave all the way in 21-22.

@Marco said in 2021 Recruiting:

Chet Holmgren, do we have a chance? Is he even going to play college ball? Needs to put on weight, but the guy never stops going.

I hope we have Dave for four years.

• Potential end of the bench/walk-on add. Like his game. Not a high flyer but very skilled at both guard spots. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/zeke-mayo-239281

Dave doesn’t have an NBA style game, he’ll be giving a senior night speech in 2022 before heading overseas for his pro career.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in 2021 Recruiting:

Dave doesn’t have an NBA style game, he’ll be giving a senior night speech in 2022 before heading overseas for his pro career.

I’m not ready to write off his chance at carving out an NBA career. But I do hope he sticks around for four.

• A name I don’t think has been mentioned.

Keon Coleman- KU just made his Top 3… He’s also a 4 star WR for Football and could play both at the next level.

A name I don’t think has been mentioned.

Keon Coleman- KU just made his Top 3… He’s also a 4 star WR for Football and could play both at the next level.

YA we made his top 3 in football. Absolute stud , It’s down to South Carolina , Oklahoma & KU.

Coach Self going to play a HUGE part in landing this guy in Football, think we have a pretty decent shot at him. Oklahoma has already got 2 commits rated higher in football. Totally up to him - - do I go to OU and just kind of fall into obscurity behind these other guys OR a chance to go to KU and have a pretty dam good chance of major quality minutes on the field. - - Football is his future , but heard pretty decent in Basketball also

• @jayballer73

OU reportedly is the only school that was left in his most recent Top 6 that wasn’t recruiting him for Basketball as well.

Has some Agbaji to his game on the hardwood

@jayballer73

OU reportedly is the only school that was left in his most recent Top 6 that wasn’t recruiting him for Basketball as well.

Has some Agbaji to his game on the hardwood

He would be an enormous addition to the football program. He might see the floor in hoops.

• @BShark well we know he’d be done in time for most of the bb season.😭

@BeddieKU23 said in 2021 Recruiting:

A name I don’t think has been mentioned.

YA we made his top 3 in football. Absolute stud , It’s down to South Carolina , Oklahoma & KU.

Coach Self going to play a HUGE part in landing this guy in Football, think we have a pretty decent shot at him. Oklahoma has already got 2 commits rated higher in football. Totally up to him - - do I go to OU and just kind of fall into obscurity behind these other guys OR a chance to go to KU and have a pretty dam good chance of major quality minutes on the field. - - Football is his future , but heard pretty decent in Basketball also

OU is totally loaded at wide receiver, no doubt. Hell, totally loaded on offense, period. The Rattler is going to be QBing for them this year. I’ll admit it, I’m looking forward to seeing him play.

• Considering KU has conceded money changed hands for multiple recruits, there’s probably a reduction in scholarships coming for basketball so someone like Coleman who would be on scholarship for another sport could provide a boost for roster numbers in basketball. I’m sure Self and Miles have to be in contact with other in regards to this kid.

Considering OU’s track record of WR’s recently, they’re going to be hard to beat. I’m also very surprised LSU isn’t in the mix considering they’re long history of sending WR’s to the NFL that have been very productive in the league.

• LSU’s after a bunch of other WR’s. Strong WR class in the Louisiana area as well.

• Isaiah Barnes went from unranked to #85. That Bill Self guy knows talent. Looks like he will end up at Michigan however.

• @BShark

He just committed there