Chiefs!

• O looking good!

• Mahomes!

• Defense still looks like a struggle on third down

• kjayhawks said:

Defense still looks like a struggle on third down

Preseason. Clark wasn’t playing.

• @BShark very true but I still think Dee Ford was better. The defense was terrible last year in everything but creating turnovers. I’m worried that they will be a touch better statically wise but wont duplicate turnover numbers. Oddly enough I feel the same about KUs defense.

• @kjayhawks

Turnovers are difficult to duplicate year over year because they involve some degree of luck (particularly fumble recoveries). Pass gets tipped, and falls just out of reach of a defender, rather than one foot further. Ball gets fumbled and takes a funny bounce right back to the offense. Because of that, looking to have turnovers make up for an otherwise leaky defense is always risky.

If the Chiefs are statistically better (particularly on third down) they will likely be much improved even if turnover numbers dip.

• @justanotherfan right that’s why I’m thinking they won’t duplicate those numbers. But yes if they improve on 3rd it will help tremendously. I’m just waiting til we see if they can actually do it.

• Frank Clark and Tyrann Mathieu say hello! Juan Thornhill looks like he’ll be good by years end too. The D will look better when the starters actually play together. Not elite, probably not good, but better.

The defense will constantly be under pressure, since the other team will be pressured to put up points to stay in the contest. Mahomes might be a little hard on the D, but I’ll take it over not scoring while eating up the clock!

• @dylans

The crazy thing is, Mahomes could throw for 43 TDs, 4500 yards and just 15 interceptions and that would be about 15% worse than last year, but still one of the 25 best passing seasons in NFL history. That is absolutely mind boggling.

I also think the Chiefs run game is more effective this year. Teams will have to put more people into coverage, so the backs are going to be operating with a lot more space around the line of scrimmage. While that may lower Mahomes’ overall numbers, the offense could be even harder to contain, which should make you giddy as a Chiefs fan and absolutely terrified if you root for anyone else.

If the defense is a top 20 defense, the Chiefs will be very hard to beat.

• @BShark your boy Thompson is getting more reps with the first team this week. Hopefully he’ll get some decent playing time in the next game.

• kjayhawks said:

@BShark very true but I still think Dee Ford was better. The defense was terrible last year in everything but creating turnovers. I’m worried that they will be a touch better statically wise but wont duplicate turnover numbers. Oddly enough I feel the same about KUs defense.

Ford has been out for a couple of weeks now. Having knee issues.

I think it was best to move on from a run porous DE with a bad injury history to a guy two years younger who is stronger in the run and still an elite pass rusher.

• dylans said:

@BShark your boy Thompson is getting more reps with the first team this week. Hopefully he’ll get some decent playing time in the next game.

I think he can be a real weapon. Looking like RB by committee.