New Zealand breakers

• New Zealand breakers

• So… wonder if Grimes is coming back 😞

• Ok by me actually… RJ was clearly all about going pro. Period.

• We dont want another drama queen back

• Did u see that skinny body. He will get abused by grown men on the court.

• Interesting… from his dad: “I kept it on the backburner,” Rod Hampton said. “I want the public to know this isn’t a fly by night move. RJ could get in to Stanford. He has a 1280 on the SAT and a 3.7 GPA. We aren’t doing this for financial reasons or he has to do this, he could have gone to college.”

Apparently the deal he cut with the breakers is more money than G league, plus mention of some sort of shoe deal… I guess if you are a sure-fire nba level player, this would make sense.

Which begs the question… if you are a 5-star level guy, what does playing in college get you vs going pro somewhere?

Granted, He is going to play for a small audience compared to a marquee college program, but is only ostensibly for a year. No classes, just hoops and hopefully lots of body work to prepare for the physical beating of the pros, especially the insanely long nba schlepathon season.

• Not doing it for the money LMAO riiiight

• Let’s understand this … when the next “big thing” is discussed. I understand that most of the CBB players are “all about going pro.” But there is a difference.

The difference is, and this is a big one – the biggest point – the presumed OAD is entitled to go pro. We are all just blessed to have him. We are lucky that he chose us. He doesn’t really need us. KU is just a pit stop on the road to the NBA. It’s not a home, it’s not a life long connection. It’s all about the presumed OAD, and his touches, and his starts, and his role. This is all about being forced to wait a year because of what the OAD believes is a dumb rule.

Drama queens. Prima Donnas. The entitled.

Just say no.

• Yep. Just remove the OAD rule and let RJ/Zion/Barrett types go straight to the league.

• @Bosthawk A 4.0 and around a 1500 SAT score are minimum requirements to get into Stanford. And you’ll probably need more than that to get accepted. When I did my undergrad in engineering, there were 4.0-GPA high school students who failed general courses. High school GPA doesn’t mean much.

• Oh well, whatever.

• KirkIsMyHinrich said:

@Bosthawk A 4.0 and around a 1500 SAT score are minimum requirements to get into Stanford. And you’ll probably need more than that to get accepted. When I did my undergrad in engineering, there were 4.0-GPA high school students who failed general courses. High school GPA doesn’t mean much.

His dad is a joke.

• @HighEliteMajor Contrast him to Silvio getting reinstated, or Devonte talking about KU … can you imagine what a cluster **** it would’ve been if his daddy had moved to Lawrence, and started “helping” us with the coaching? LeVar Ball revisited…

• KirkIsMyHinrich said:

@Bosthawk A 4.0 and around a 1500 SAT score are minimum requirements to get into Stanford. And you’ll probably need more than that to get accepted. When I did my undergrad in engineering, there were 4.0-GPA high school students who failed general courses. High school GPA doesn’t mean much.

For an athlete at Stanford, that easily gets you in. That gets him in anywhere.

• @justanotherfan Yes if you’re an athlete.

• I’m not a Kobe fan but his explanation of his feelings about Raja Bell are close to my feelings about RJ.

• @justanotherfan The point is it has nothing to do with his grades or SAT score and everything to do with him being an athlete. So his dad bringing up his grades and SAT score doesn’t matter. He would not get into Stanford on grades alone. Not even close.

• Hey…more power to him. If you can make a million bucks, then go for it. Just don’t use us with a bunch of bullshit to self-promote yourself. Be honest about it, dude. That’s all. RJ Hampton…Mr. complete waste of time…

• How long was this the plan because what’s the purpose of reclassifying just to go pro overseas?

• KUSTEVE said:

Hey…more power to him. If you can make a million bucks, then go for it. Just don’t use us with a bunch of bullshit to self-promote yourself. Be honest about it, dude. That’s all. RJ Hampton…Mr. complete waste of time…

My thoughts exactly

• @Texas-Hawk-10 They are saying that they signed this a month ago.

• Crap like this is what’s going to burn Self out and go coach in the NBA.

• Good for this kid. I can’t blame him. I’m guessing Self and Co weren’t too surprised, but even if they were, that’s the biz. But if I were the kid I’d do the same thing. Would I let the coaches find out via ESPN, probably not. Not sure if that’s how Self found out. But overall, a good decision by the kid and his family.

• This is why I don’t follow recruiting that closely. When a kid signs, I get excited reading all the stuff about him, but before that, I leave it to you experts to figure out who’s coming and going. Once he steps on the court at Late Night, he’s a Jayhawk in my mind and I can form my opinions.

I have kept my Street And Smith’s since about 1990. It’s amazing to read their list of top 20 seniors in HS and see how many were actually successful even in college. It’s not very many. And then to go on to long pro careers? Even less. But start mining the “best of the rest” section and out of the 100’s of names you’ll find the Paul Pierces and Kirk Heinrich’s and Duane Wades and Frank Masons and Frank Kaminskies etc… The truly best recruiters are not Cal and K and even HCBS, they’re the Ryan’s and Beard’s and Bennett’s of the world who have to find those best of the rests and train them to be great college players and team players.

• Texas Hawk 10 said:

How long was this the plan because what’s the purpose of reclassifying just to go pro overseas?

To be eligible for the 2020 draft. Have to be a year removed from High School to get drafted.