Coach Self Pres Conf

• Just some cool tidbits from Coach Self press conf just getting over:

Having the opportunity to be able to Coach Devonte and SVi for another week is pretty cool.

This here was a surprise - - - Coach talking about how Silvio’s Dad is going to be in San Antonio - - - -SVI’s mom & Dad going to be there – & KU is working on being able to get Doke Mom to the final four - -having some trouble right now with Visa but working on it. - -Coach was saying do you realize how cool it would be able to see your son play ball for the 1st time in a final four?

I guess there is some kind of a new rule or something for this now that allows a school to help with this and not get in trouble - -some program or something that will help pay for them to come - -something about they get allotted so much - -had never heard of this - pretty sweet.

Coach saying he see’s no difference between us and Villanova - -their strengths are our strengths -saying usually there are things where our weakness is there strength or visa versa - -but this is not the case with them. - Their strengths are our strengths.

Saying they have 5 guys who can stretch the floor - -we have four plus a big. - -Coach saying LaGerald is a much different player then he was in mid Feburary - - - Silvio is a much different player then he was in mid Feburary - saying Silvio is really like a huge difference maker on offense but his physical presence on the floor his rebounding - -saying that the KU team has the confidence in Silvio now that when Doke is out they are not worried

He was ask what it’s going to take for a team to be the last one standing come Monday night?- - -he response being able to eliminate a lot of the distractions and saying there are so many distractions that surround a final four - -plus you need a guy that can really step up in the game.

Coach says that Clay Kuster from Loyola was good enough to play for KU - it’s just the timing wasn’t right - -saying Kuster came to all the KU camps and such - but with KU having Devonte & Frank - -timing just wasn’t right - -saying recruiting is a lot about timing - just a few little tidbits - - pretty coo stuff

• Thanks for posting. Also -

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22931739/three-freshmen-headline-ap-all-america-team-first

Devonte an AP first team All-American.

And so is Brunson.

• Found this interesting … no KU NBA prospects to watch at the final four.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766545-nba-mock-draft-2018-latest-predictions-entering-final-four

• Coach is always ripping on Gurley 😂. I wonder if Malik will work his way into the first round? Certainly has shown a knack for scoring so far I wonder what more he must do.

• HighEliteMajor said:

Found this interesting … no KU NBA prospects to watch at the final four.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766545-nba-mock-draft-2018-latest-predictions-entering-final-four

I’ve said all year that this team doesnt have an NBA player on it. I still stand by it. That isn’t what makes a great college TEAM. I dont care.

• @BigBad Silvio has a shot imo, but he is nowhere near his ceiling yet.

• @BShark Agree. It was a tad early to mention him when I was saying no NBA guys. Preston definitely will be on a roster at some point.

• Well I found out my answer about trying to get the guys parents here to watch them in the final four.

It seems that the NCAA helps pay for the parents to be able to travel to the Semi Finals and finals. The NCAA came up with a pilot program in 2015 and what it does is that the NCAA pays for families to travel to the NCAA final four. they will pay 3.000 for Travel - - -hotel & meal expenses and up to 4,000 for the championship. - -Coach Self said he didn’t realize how expensive it was saying to fly to San Antonio said is the most expensive - saying you can’t hardly find a round trip ticket for less then 1,000-1200 flying round trip from Kansas City to San Antonio - so he says you can imagine flying from Lagos Nigeria- - -Ukraine- - or from Angola – I hope it works out for Doke mom. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @HighEliteMajor Interesting to note that KU has beaten 10 of the top 20 and 13 of the top 30 this year and if we beat Villanova, it’s 11 of the top 20 and 15 of the top 30. Just saying…

• @DCHawker Some would say that’s a pretty decent record haha

• jayballer73 said:

Well I found out my answer about trying to get the guys parents here to watch them in the final four.

It seems that the NCAA helps pay for the parents to be able to travel to the Semi Finals and finals. The NCAA came up with a pilot program in 2015 and what it does is that the NCAA pays for families to travel to the NCAA final four. they will pay 3.000 for Travel - - -hotel & meal expenses and up to 4,000 for the championship. - -Coach Self said he didn’t realize how expensive it was saying to fly to San Antonio said is the most expensive - saying you can’t hardly find a round trip ticket for less then 1,000-1200 flying round trip from Kansas City to San Antonio - so he says you can imagine flying from Lagos Nigeria- - -Ukraine- - or from Angola – I hope it works out for Doke mom. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

They jack prices up for big time events.

• @BShark and @BigBad

Accurately predicting who can make in the L and who cannot is not a strength of mine.

But I am more optimistic about the NBA potential on this team than you to are, even though I suspect you have a better feel for this than I have.

Doke is NBA. (back up) His speed and mobility will get him a spot.

Svi is NBA. (back up) That three of his will get much more deadly in the NBA. If he can hang around 2-3 seasons he could even wind up a starter.

Malik is NBA. (starter or backup) I had my doubts about him because of his size, but he has the gun and he is doing the kind of athletic stuff that NBA guys can do.

Devonte is NBA. (back up) If Frank can make it, Devonte can.

Silvio is NBA. (starter)

If Vick comes back, another year, he could become an NBA level player. He has a fine shot and he has done every kind of domestique job Self has laid on him this season. Vick appears to have some concentration issues, but lots of guys overcome those. At his best, he is a superb basketball player. I hope he comes back, because I think he could become dominant next year.

Marcus Garrett its too soon to say, but if he can learn to put it on the deck at his height, and with his touch, he could mature into an NBA grade player. He is very, very young. Everything he has done he has done with a boy’s body, not a man’s body. He will weigh 15 pounds more as a junior, or senior. He could become a superb 6-7 perimeter player and a lock down defender of the kind needed in the L as a back up. He will fill out just as Svi has, and he already has better quicker footwork that Svi.

Teams don’t get to the FF without some NBA caliber players.

Self has some race horses and they have made a run for the roses and got to some pretty rarified air.

Josh Jackson and Frank Mason are balling for bucks in No Boys Allowed. But they couldn’t get this far.

There appears more to the talents of these players than met the eye earlier this season.

• I’ll put out a bold statement and say Billy Preston never does anything at the next level. Prove me wrong kid

• @jayballer73

San Antonio jacked up their prices for some event going on…

• Flying to Austin, or arriving Sat morning or leaving on Wed rather than Tues, can be cheaper. When I checked, various combos were about $600 different from Charlotte NC.

• @jaybate-1-0 You said, “Josh Jackson and Frank Mason are balling for bucks in No Boys Allowed. But they couldn’t get this far.”

One observation would be that the single most important event in the 2016-17 season was the injury to Udoka. The difference in offensive talent between Udoka and Lucas is near night and day. Further, we did not have anyone that was playing like Silvio. Last season, we had Landen, and slowly recovering Coleby, and a banished Bragg. The post play for the tourney run is significantly better. Wish Frank and JJ could have been a part of this, too.

• @HighEliteMajor Agree. Silvio against Duke is better than anything we had last year. With the added bonus that the team doesn’t try to force feed Silvio like they did at times with Lucas. Graham and Lucas killed us in the Oregon game.

• @HighEliteMajor Agreed that adding Silvio to Doke and Mitch has been a difference maker over last season. Two draft choice types plus a guy that can fill on foul up, fast tempo games to let Doke and Silvio play hard exemplifies how interdependent perimeter and interior remain in the small ball era.

One reason I am stoked to play Jay and his Wrongcats is that Mitch gives us the flexibility to downsize, if the Wrongcats mobility troubles Doke, or Silvio.

In a 4-1 set, we are.solid and experienced albeit with little depth outside, but we now have enough post men that can guard to let our perimeter guys overplay some and not have to risk fouling on the get-by’s. The bigs can handle that now.

• No fancy or educated game, team or player analysis here. I’m just plain giddy about this game against Villanova and can hardly wait for Saturday night!

• I still remember when coach Self called the 3 ball “fool’s gold” several years ago. I know personnel dictates how he runs the offense, but it has been a joy watching the guard oriented teams last few years. I’m not ready for it to end. A lot of people were writing the season off when KU was dropping home games, but I felt that this is the type of adversity the Jayhawks needed to make a N.C. run in the tournament. Whatever happens from now on, I couldn’t be more proud of a KU team. Was it Silvio that airmailed a ball out of bounds and coach Self gives a quick smirk. Yeah I think Self is relaxed and confident as ever.

• Eric-san said:

Was it Silvio that airmailed a ball out of bounds and coach Self gives a quick smirk. Yeah I think Self is relaxed and confident as ever.

When that happened my family all let out a collective ugh. I know there was less than 2 minutes in regulation at that point but I quickly told my family “he was playing high school in December”. Noway anyone can get mad at a kid who has basically saved our asses to a certain extent.

• @Eric-san Coach Self is still making changes on his coaching style for the better.

• @jayballer73 Yeah, I enjoyed hearing that.

Boy O boy its gonna be a good game!! One thing we have that 'Nova doesn’t have? Coach Self. He’s a hall of famer for a reason. We also owe ‘Nova for that game 2 years ago. I really feel like our boys can pull out the W. But, at the same time, am trying to keep an open mind for this weekend. Nobody, ok, not many people had KU going this far, myself included. There has been so much icing on the cake this season for me that I am completely satisfied and feel that we have had a truly great season. We get to hang another banner, or at least add to our final four banner this October regardless of what happens from this point on. We get to see Devonte’ quite possibly win another one or two post season awards following in Frank’s foot steps last year! Back to back Cousy awards or Wooden Awards or what ever for KU?? Damm that’s cool!! We are good. KU should go out and play with a free mind and an iron will. Leave it all on the court. And, what ever the end result is, come away knowing that we had a great season and every KU fan will give them a heroes welcome upon return to Lawrence.

• SkinnyKansasDude said:

Coach is always ripping on Gurley 😂. I wonder if Malik will work his way into the first round? Certainly has shown a knack for scoring so far I wonder what more he must do.

LOL!! HAHAHA! yah he was ripping on Gurley. That was hilarious!

• @jaybate-1.0 Yep. KU may not have a lotto pick right now amongst them. But, they sure have NBA talent in the making. DG will be a pro. Cuz like you said, if Frank can, Devonte can too. Svi will be really good next level. Doke, needs one more year at KU. He’s a beast. Same with Silvio. Same with Vick. That kid comes back for his junior year, he’ll go lotto next year or close to it.

• BigBad said:

Eric-san said:

Was it Silvio that airmailed a ball out of bounds and coach Self gives a quick smirk. Yeah I think Self is relaxed and confident as ever.

When that happened my family all let out a collective ugh. I know there was less than 2 minutes in regulation at that point but I quickly told my family “he was playing high school in December”. Noway anyone can get mad at a kid who has basically saved our asses to a certain extent.

Hell yah! We probly dont win the Big 12 tourney with out Silvio.
    Case can easily be made that we dont win the Duke match up without him either.

• @jaybate-1.0 And to your point, a reason I think we are now better than last season’s team, and why we succeeded to get to the final four, is that we have an inside offensive game. One that demands respect. Last season, how threatening was Lucas? He just wasn’t. Good rebounder, but the opposition was surely hoping he took the shots.