Doke

• jayballer73 said:

@BShark Actually I really feel Okie State - -deserves to be in the NCAA more then Oklahoma at this point - -anyways that’s how I feel. – With the way they finished the season - -& the way Okie State finished - - but who knows - -I’m afraid with our beating them today - -probably knocked them out - -but hey don’t get me wrong all I know is we don’t have to worry about making the tourney that’s all I’m really concerned about.

Completely agree.

• @BShark

Agree. OSU is 2-1 against OU including winning the last2 games, 2-1 against KU and 1-1 against WVU. It certainly deserves it more than Trae Young…I mean OU…😄

• If you applied the .500 conference record requirement, the following bubble teams would be out

0_1520608754731_upload-57ce8c24-b04c-45ce-a857-ae5aa8cc51a6

Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Syracuse, Baylor.

That means, according to Mr. Lunardi at least, Middle Tennessee State would have one of the last four byes (taking Texas’ spot), and Marquette, Penn State and Nebraska would be the last four in along with Louisville.

It would make the bubble a lot cleaner around this time because teams would know what they needed to do by now. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas all would have known they were playing for their tournament lives this weekend in KC. Same for Arizona State. Alabama would be the last team with a chance to still grab a spot since they are still alive in the SEC tournament. How big would Collin Sexton’s game winner be if Alabama’s whole season was riding not just on winning that game, but needing to win the entire tournament?

• @justanotherfan

Yes, but… a 8-10 record in the Big12 is better than a 10-8 record in the Big 10 or just about any other conference.

• True, but if you couldn’t win half your conference games, you don’t have much of an argument that you are one of the best teams in the country.

• @justanotherfan

Disagree. A team like OSU would have a winning conference record in just about any other conference. What do you think another OSU team, Ohio State, record would be in the Big 12?

• @JayHawkFanToo

Would they? Oklahoma State has losses to both Texas A&M and Arkansas, both middle of the pack teams in the SEC. They lost four home games in the Big 12 (K-State, Baylor, West Virginia and TCU). Sure, the Big 12 lacks any bad teams, and sure, Oklahoma State probably feasts on the lower part of their schedule in a different conference, but Oklahoma State’s non-conference SOS is 311 in the country. They lost to three of the four decent non-con teams they played (Arkansas, A&M and Wichita State, beat Florida State by 1).

Their conference record tells us what we already kind of know - Oklahoma State isn’t bad, but they are fairly average. They are good enough to beat a really good team on the right night, but night in and night out, they are no better than okay.

• justanotherfan said:

True, but if you couldn’t win half your conference games, you don’t have much of an argument that you are one of the best teams in the country.

…And why I think the NCAA tournament should be cut down to 32 teams and made double elimination.

• @dylans Nice for the top teams but you would lose so much interest that way. But how do you select them with some 30 conf tourneys to deal with? No at large? Or restrict the touney by eliminating auto bids for all the lesser conferences? That will be popular among the 280 teams or so who have no realistic chance every year.

• @justanotherfan

You are concentrating on the games they lost and not the ones they won including KU twice, WVU, TTU, all top #4-#5 seeds. I can easily see the OSU going 12-6 in the Big 10.

• @mayjay Take the best 32 teams. If that’s too hard make it 16. There are not 68 teams able to win the tournament as is. Get rid of the ones who have no shot.

• Like all but Tech and KU from the Big12. Virginia, Duke, and North Carolina ACC etc.

Yes the other teams are nice, but they have no realistic chance to win it all.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Oklahoma State has a wide gap between their ceiling and their floor. They are the same team that swept KU, yes, but they also were swept by Baylor, TCU and Kansas State.

I doubt they go 12-6 in the Big 10.

If we give them Ohio State’s Big 10 schedule, here’s how I think it plays out:

at Wisconsin - loss (0-1)

vs. Michigan - win (1-1)

at Iowa - loss (1-2)

vs. Michigan State - win (2-2)

vs. Maryland - win (3-2)

at Rutgers - win (4-2)

at Northwestern - win (5-2)

vs. Minnesota - win (6-2)

vs. Nebraska - loss (6-3)

vs. Penn State - loss (6-4)

vs. Indiana - loss (6-5)

vs. Illinois - win (7-5)

at Purdue - loss (7-6)

vs. Iowa - win (8-6)

at Penn State - loss (8-7)

at Michigan - loss (8-8)

vs. Rutgers - win (9-8)

at Indiana - loss (9-9)

You could say they might win against Indiana and Nebraska, but would they hold the home court against Michigan State? Do they avoid blowing winnable road games like Rutgers and Northwestern? That’s OSU’s problem. They have the ability to knock off good teams, but will also completely collapse against a lesser team for no apparent reason.

• @justanotherfan You have them winning only 2 road games. This is a crazy team, but they won at AFH, at Hilton and in Morgantown. If they can win those in the B12, I think they win a few more on the road in the B10. But they could lose more home games. They could probably go anywhere from 6-12 to 11-7.

• @justanotherfan

John McEnroe called and said…you can’t possibly be serious.😄

Look at how the teams in both conferences are ranked according to Sagarin…

0_1520646759543_FAD97923-417C-4EFC-B6C2-7D53CCCEDD39.png

9 out of 10 teams in the Big 12 are ranked in the top 45 with OSU at 45. 4 out of 14 teams in the Big 10 are ranked in the same top 45 and 10 teams in the Big 10 are ranked below OSU. OSU would be top 4 or top 5 in the Big 10. I will correct my prediction and say it would finish no worse than 13-5 probably 14-4.

• Doke got a workout in today

• Gut it out Doke!

• @Crimsonorblue22 Well , that sounds at least some what encouraging doesn’t it? - -hoping for the best. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Holy shit we are 14-5 against top50 squads

• Matt Galloway ‏ @themattgalloway 18m18 minutes ago

Udoka Azubuike rode a bike today and will be evaluated Sunday. Self hopeful he can get back on the court tomorrow or Monday to do one-on-zero basketball activities.

“We’re hopeful he can play this week. The doc said it’s not unrealistic for us to be hopeful for that.”

• @BShark that last sentence left a lot of questions.

Don’t rush him back. Doke being gone makes the guards be more in attack mode all the time. They aren’t trying to feed the post because Coach said get the ball inside to Doke. They are catching it and trying to score themselves.

It clearly turned Newman into a different player. And after seeing this team gut out 3 wins in 3 days, I’m not sure we need big boy back until the 2nd weekend.

• @Kcmatt7 2nd game could be tough. We should definitely win w/o Doke in the first game.

• @BShark I don’t think it’s worth rushing him back. Yea the 2nd game should be competitive, but I don’t think bringing back an Doke that is only 70% helps us at all. Especially if he would be close to 100% the following weekend.

• @mayjay and @JayHawkFanToo

Oklahoma State is a solid team, but they are wildly inconsistent. They have some really good wins, but also some inexplicable losses. That’s why they are on the bubble now. With the wins they have, if they were more consistent, they would probably be a top 5 seed. They are on the bubble because they lost games they had no business losing. If they were in the Big 10, that would probably still happen.