Any Win Is A Good Win

• @JayHawkFanToo You’d think so but here we are. We are in the sweet talking phase still so who knows what the staff is telling him.

• Landing Agbaji would be big for KU because he played his AAU ball for MoKan which we all know has always had a negative relationship with KU.

• @Texas-Hawk-10

I was thinking the same thing. KU lost several decent players over the years because of MoKan.

• @JayHawkFanToo Porter and Young were MOKAN right? Not saying MOKAN was the reason we didn’t get them, but it also wouldn’t help lol.

• @BShark

Yep. Both Porters as well as young, Burke, Cauley-Stein, Ojeleye, Tillmon, Nirn, Milton just of the top of my head.

Kevin Durant has now partnered with them so they will only get bigger. Getting a MoKan/Nike player would be nice.

• JayHawkFanToo said:

@BShark

Yep. Both Porters as well as young, Burke, Cauley-Stein, Ojeleye, Tillmon, Nirn, Milton just of the top of my head.

Kevin Durant has now partnered with them so they will only get bigger. Getting a MoKan/Nike player would be nice.

It definitely won’t hurt.

Burks was definitely just a miss by the staff. I don’t think KU ever got too serious with CS or Ojeleye. By the time we were kind of interested in CS it was too late.

• @Crimsonorblue22

You are always going to get my like when posting that photo of EJ.

EJ and Sherron are my Jayhawk favorites on an emotional level.

• @BeddieKU23

Good post.

I believe exactly what Self believes in his chew out on the guys. We lack energy, focus, good attitude, etc.

That all leads to not only going soft on defense, but soft on offense, too. Guys are standing around too much on offense. Notice how almost every possession in the TCU game had us use the entire shot clock and then force up a shot, often putting Devonte in a jam.

Our lack of energy and focus prevents our offense from flowing. Flowing is the key to keeping a high FG%, especially when having a bunch of talented shooters. Nothing was right in this game. I can give a little credit to TCU, but most of it was our guys playing soft.

I’m not ready to give a name or names… but I feel like at least one of our Top 7 players will not be asked to return next year. That gets masked in a transfer or an attempt to go pro. And to be honest, I’d rather see a fresh-faced freshman to trade for even though experience should be an important plus with next year’s team.

Self is EXTREMELY UNHAPPY with this team right now. I just don’t see him risking some of the same funky attitude going on next year. There are probably off-court circumstances involved… and those that are involved should feel fortunate that Self has their back, even while they damage his legacy (and KU’s) and the rest of the team. Self knows what is going on.

I know I feel bad for Devonte. The guy is playing 40 mpg and still producing well… and he is banged up. If we lose the streak this year, he will be blamed, too, but let’s face facts, we are NOT even a 500 team without Devonte!

• No one channels “good cop/bad cop” better than Coach Self and he is pulling out all stops to motivate this team.

This “no fear” year (of KU by opposing teams) has been a blessing on the road and a curse in AFH.

Good teams win close games. Great teams win games by a comfortable margin.

Time to go from good to great!

• All I know is this is not the year all four #1 seeds make it to the final four. Our chances are as good as any this year.

• St. John’s that started conference 0-11 beat Duke and Villanova, Michigan State barely got by 3-11 Iowa and now sits in third place in the Big 10, Arizona that is in first place in the PAC 12 trails UCLA by 10 in the second half, 20 something ranked a UNC just beat Duke which is now in 3rd place in the ACC and 4-1/2 games behind Virginia, UK sits in 4th place and 3 full games behind leader Auburn…while KU still sits in 1st place in the toughest conference and fans continue to complain.

Any team can beat any other team this season…as we know it all too well. March madness might end up being a gauntlet for the top teams. This might be the year when it is better to fly under the radar.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Great post!

I’m curious what your thoughts are about your statement, “any team can be any other team this year?”

It definitely seems so.

I’ve been hearing lots of gossip, mostly negative. Not specifically about Kansas, just D1 in general. Here is what I’m hearing:

1. “Millennials just do not have the hunger or hustle!” We’ve all heard this for a while now and not just about basketball. This has not been my personal experiences. I know some very scrappy younguns!

2. “Many players are smoking pot!” I can believe that. Not sure. I know we’ve had that issue before. It sure explains a lack of focus, hustle and hunger. But I don’t want to point a finger at anyone.

3. “Too many players leaving early for the league!” In my book, MOST players that leave early shouldn’t be leaving yet. Guess I can’t blame them for wanting to secure a check as soon as possible. There is always a risk of injuries. Many of the top teams recruit OADs, and hence are always in a state of “newbies on board!”

Sometimes I think we may be overthinking things. Good chance our guys have been battling the flu, plus we have a lot of young guys and a shallow bench. Plus… the pressure of the streak.

Gosh darnit! I’m making excuses for them again!!! LOL

• Gunman said:

jaybate 1.0 said:

@BShark

Any win, even a bad one, is a good win for this team right now.

Do we win that game if Vick started? Good job, Bill!

Since Vick played 29 minutes, I reckon yes we would have won with Vick starting and playing 29, too.

• Everyone needs to remember TCU was without its best player.

• @drgnslayr

I agree with the overthinking idea.

What if it were all nothing more than the appearance of rigging of the March Carney now appearing to spread to conference play?

Hypothesis: Rigging makes bet balancing much easier to achieve all season long.

Bet balancing just doesn’t seem statistically feasible with the disparities in teams, betting fan base sizes, and variables in performances of 18-23 year old men.

It seems like rigging would likely be necessary to smooth costly inefficiencies in bet balancing.

In turn, hypothetical rigging would litter the games with anomalous, counterintuitive ourcomes. It would look like there were a lot of equality/parity among conference teams (ie, several tied for first or second), even though distributions of 4/5-star players was quite asymmetric.

Just a thought.

• speaking of winning…how much longer will Wake give Danny to get it going ??

and look at Tony Bennett quietly dominating the ESPN conference.

• Meanwhile, Joe Dooley has FGCU 10-0 in conference play (Atlantic Sun Conference). He is a basketball savant. Would love to see him make it to one of the power conferences in my lifetime!

• @drgnslayr

I am not sure there is one answer but a combination of many. The OAD is now a full business and kids are now looking for the fastest way to the League and college basketball has been fully disrupted.

More importantly, there is so much parity in the sport because quality college seniors can perform as well or better than OADs. Teams like Texas Tech. with a bunch of unheralded but experienced and quality players can now compete with teams with better but inexperienced players. Some of the better players we have had at KU were not highly ranked but developed into outstanding players by their junior and senior years.

To me, the only solution is to get rid of the OADs and revert players to being students first and athletes second. If a prospect is good enough to go pro after HS, let him do It but if he chooses college then he needs to wait 3 years so at least he has most of a college degree under his belt that he can complete if pro sports don’t work; it is fair to both, the student athlete and the school.

• @Blown

Danny’s edge seemed like it might be attracting and coaching big men.

But the game has apparently taken a sharp turn to guards and 3pt shooting, which seems to erode his edge.

Also he has struggled finding top big men to go against TPTB in Conference ESPN.

It is too bad. Ironically, his timing was good for crackingg the upper division. B12-like “parity” has come to C-ESPN, at least outside of Charlottesville, Virginia, where Tony Bennett’s 23-1 Cavs seem strangely to have bucked the conspicuous parity-trend that has hit the rest of C-ESPN and other power conferences.

Interestingly, I have not read anyone connect UVa’s 23-1 tear to a post-tragedy (riots) effect in Charlottesville yet, as happened some with the New Orleans Saints winning the SB after the hurricane (note: I stand with recall revised by @mayjay later in this thread that the Aints didn’t win for a few years after the big blow and reputed intentional dyke breaking that lead to so much tragedy).

Whatever, it seems the Deacons have given DMan a fair shot at WF, but it’s been a tough corner to turn.

Still, I cross digits for him, but…

He appears on ice film.

• @CRH107

Fingers crossed for Joe Do.

He seems ready for a shot.

• @jaybate-1.0 I am not sure what you are referring to re N Orl winning the SB after a hurricane. They won their only SB in 2010 after the 2009 season. The only hurricane hitting NO that season was November hurricane Ida, which caused only minor damage when it hit Louisiana as a TS after major damage in Nicaragua. Katrina hit N Orl in August 2005, after which the Saints went 3-13.

Makes a nice thought, but 4 years removed does not give much support to the Chatlottesville theory.

I will, however, offer up the 1988 Dodgers, winning the WS after the earthquake! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_World_Series

• @mayjay Didn’t the Saints win in the first full year back in New Orleans after being displaced when the super dome was torn up by said hurricane? It seems I must be misremembering by a year or two as well.

• @dylans Saints made the NFC title game in 2006 but lost to the Bears.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Thank you for reeling me in!

I’m still hopeful for this team. Especially in March! We tend to play gutsy ball on the road, and March Madness will be one big road game!

If we do lose the streak, these guys should have a monster chip on their shoulders in March.

• @dylans

The amazing Superdome… wow!

New Orleans is an amazing cultural city… but the governmental corruption has handcuffed that city for decades. The Superdome is a perfect example. After the initial construction, I guess money appeared missing and required a formal investigation which didn’t resolve anything. I’m pretty sure the investigation itself was tainted in corruption. All I know is it went from being NEW in 1975 to a troubled facility within one decade. I recall visiting the SD back in the 80s and have a photo of myself standing on a burned up automobile directly in front of the SD.

But then… what can you expect of anything being built over a cemetary… there are stories of ghost/demon sightings, even during Saints games!

0_1518192268274_Girod_Cemetery_Vaults_New_Orleans_1885.jpg

The Katrina disaster turned out to be a blessing for the Superdome… finally making officials punch through a very needed $320 million update, of which only part of that was direct damage from the storm.

The Superdome has undergone several updates since Katrina… finally raising the standards up high enough to earn them a nice extra funding source by branding the Superdome over to Mercedes in a 10-yr contract in 2011.

Actual branding vision:

0_1518193156481_louisiana-superdome.jpg

0_1518193173253_PVED01_122-00001.jpg

Better ideas:

0_1518193239105_MercedeBenzSuperdome.jpg

Or… how about the entire roof become a lit Mercedes logo… visible from Musk’s Tesla roadster, floating in space! LOL