In reality - -pretty true statement.

• Read an article talking about how there was a team that could really challenge KU for their14th straight big 12 Championship, a team that wears red uniforms - -and actually yes they could.

The team goes 5’11 - --6’6 - - 6’7 - -6-10 - -& 6’9 - all of these players have averages of least 9.5 or has had & one of them was at 19.9 & 9.9 reb.

That team? - well they are – Charlie Moore - - Sam Cunliffe - - KJ Lawson - - Billy Preston - & Dedric Lawson. - -KU’S red team in practice.

Coach said or it was said that KU faces beter competition in their practices than alot ot teams in the Nation.

Devonte Graham says that Coach gets mad at them cause alot of times the Red team will be whupping their butt, but like Devonte says it’s not like we are playing a bunck of walk ons - these guys are Major D-1 players. - -very true fact.

Coach Self says they had a scrimmage a 10 minute scrimmage and the red team hung 34 puts on the starters in the 10 minute scrimmage- Coach says they could of easily scored over a 100 in a regular 40 mintes contest. - Self says not un common at all for them to score 25 in a 10 minute running clock, so ya they get some pretty good scrimmages against these guys. - Like Devonte says for sure makes them better offensive and defensive wise. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Good to develop chemistry for the Red team as 4 of the 5 will likely be starters/rotation pieces next year

• “KU faces beter competition in their practices than alot ot teams in the Nation”

I’d be very surprised if Coach Self said that. Out loud.

• @nuleafjhawk Coach may not have said exactly that, but he did say this. “If Billy is on the red team along with Dedric, that is as good a front line as we are going to play against.”

• " -OH " my bad - -dam tie me to the stake and horse whip me roflmfao - -My bad- it was Keegan saying Kanas faces better competition daily in practices than any team in the Nation.

I would be willing to put our 2nd 5 that was listed against any other would have no problem with that what so ever and take my chances. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• Considering D. Lawson and B. Preston likely will play at least some in the NBA, that’s a fair statement. How many teams in the country have two future NBA players on the roster? Maybe 7 or 8?

Moore started and played 29 mpg at Cal. Cunliffe started and played 25 mpg at ASU. The Lawson brothers averaged 12 and 8 (KJ) and 19 and 10 (Dedric) at Memphis. Preston was a McDs AA. There are 300+ teams out there that can’t find that type of talent anywhere on their roster. That lineup and an average bench would finish 3rd or 4th in every major conference, and would win just about every mid major and definitely every low major.

Every single one of those guys would be the best player on over 100 D1 rosters right now. Today. All of them could start at 90% of the D1 schools in the country.

• justanotherfan said:

Considering D. Lawson and B. Preston likely will play at least some in the NBA, that’s a fair statement. How many teams in the country have two future NBA players on the roster? Maybe 7 or 8?

Moore started and played 29 mpg at Cal. Cunliffe started and played 25 mpg at ASU. The Lawson brothers averaged 12 and 8 (KJ) and 19 and 10 (Dedric) at Memphis. Preston was a McDs AA. There are 300+ teams out there that can’t find that type of talent anywhere on their roster. That lineup and an average bench would finish 3rd or 4th in every major conference, and would win just about every mid major and definitely every low major.

Every single one of those guys would be the best player on over 100 D1 rosters right now. Today. All of them could start at 90% of the D1 schools in the country.

So what you’re saying is they aren’t very good?

• Not sure I would buy that with Cunliffe but there are a lot of bad teams out there I suppose.

• @jayballer54

I predict at least 5 teams with 8 man rotations will make the March Carney with exactly the composition of our second team plus depth.

I predict 3 of the 5 will bee seeded in the path of KU.

I predict KU will beat two of them.

• @BShark why?

• @jaybate-1.0 which five?

• @HawkChamp I don’t think he is very good. I’ve been wrong before though…

• The red team would compete with any team in the land IMO. They would be a tournament team no question.

• @BShark averaged 10 and 5 and 40% from 3 as a frosh. Doesn’t sound bad to me.

• @HawkChamp It’s the 30% from 2 that’s disconcerting. His advanced stats are not nice. I’m hoping he gets his skills on par with his athleticism.

• HawkChamp said:

@BShark averaged 10 and 5 and 40% from 3 as a frosh. Doesn’t sound bad to me.

35% from the field overall and an 89 Ortg (Chris Teahan/Clay Young territory). An atrocious 10 PER and -4 box plus/minus. Admittedly it’s a very small sample size where he was able to chuck because ASU was a very thin team. Also of course I’m also just going off of having watched him play at ASU plus the Italy trip.

• dylans said:

@HawkChamp It’s the 30% from 2 that’s disconcerting. His advanced stats are not nice. I’m hoping he gets his skills on par with his athleticism.

^^^

This is right. He needs to learn to be a basketball player and not just an athlete playing basketball.

• Let us pause a moment to reflect on Sven Nader, the only NBA first round pick who played in the NCAA without ever starting a college game. As a pro, he was the only person to lead both the NBA and the ABA in rebounding.

(Incidentally, he was a JUCO transfer to UCLA. Wooden must have been scraping the barrel, just like HCBS.)

• You know Self got some flack on here about these transfers, some even wondered if he was slipping in the recruiting game (before the big class for next year). But he may end up looking like a genius before the next 2 years are up. Thinking about how good of a team this years gets to go against daily but also thinking about next years guys going against a top 5 team in practice everyday as well. We will be full of new faces a year from now but lots of those faces have not only that practice time but time spent with other D1 schools. Bravo coach Self I see what you did there.

• kjayhawks said:

You know Self got some flack on here about these transfers, some even wondered if he was slipping in the recruiting game (before the big class for next year). But he may end up looking like a genius before the next 2 years are up. Thinking about how good of a team this years gets to go against daily but also thinking about next years guys going against a top 5 team in practice everyday as well. We will be full of new faces a year from now but lots of those faces have not only that practice time but time spent with other D1 schools. Bravo coach Self I see what you did there.

Whole lotta misses on top targets in 17. I do like how it worked out though where despite having to likely replace all 5 starters we will be able to put guys out there with a year in the program.

• @mayjay

I remember Swen (sp?). Hard to start in college when you are playing behind Bill Walton. 😄

• @dylans true but we dont need a bunch of scoring from him. He will probably be in a Brennan Greene situation where he will be expected to defend, rebound and make threes, not try to drive the lane all the time or be a go to scorer. We will see in a week.

• @JayHawkFanToo And just think, if some people on this Board were UCLA fans then, they would have pooh-poohed his entry into the draft: “Not good enough to start in college!”