Whiff City

• I have news for everyone.

Its going to be a big adjustment getting used to life without Frank Mason.

He had the greatest final season of any KU point guard I can recall and my mental cobwebs stretch all the way back to 1962.

Devonte will be a way better than average point guard for KU. He might even have a great season and do some things better than Frank.

Devonte historically has been a player that spiked much higher than Frank for stretches, but Frank was like having Joe Montana at quarterback for the SF 49ers. The guy was just insanely reliable. Every time one got even a little nervous things weren’t going right he did something that was just about the exact thing that needed to happen. And he seemed never to get hurt, or to play through things that would have other players begging to go to the Mayo Clinic.

We can win big with Devonte. Devonte can make us like him as much or more than Frank. We can probably have stretches sky high excellence with Devonte that we could not have with Frank. But unless Devonte gets some kind of blood transfusion from Frank that migrates his steely genetic consistency, there just are going to be times this season when we are all needing something good to happen and Frank won’t be there.

Not a knock on Devonte. But I’ve never seen a point guard that consistent in so many ways before.

• matt sure isn’t confident anymore on DD. that always spells the worst. good grief kid

• @BeddieKU23 But this random poster making their first post sure is confident!

• BShark said:

@BeddieKU23 But this random poster making their first post sure is confident!

just like maryland’s random posters with their sources

In the end this is trending exactly the way it goes when we lose out

• Yeah. Lots of random “insiders” popping up for this one. And I agree, I don’t like the way this is going.

• BShark said:

Yeah. Lots of random “insiders” popping up for this one. And I agree, I don’t like the way this is going.

It is very weird there is no leaking information to the recruiting sites…We’ll see a CB run as soon as the recruiting site get word of how he’s doing the announcement. If he does twitter then maybe nobody knows for sure. But I would bet its some kind of planned announcement which will almost assuredly give out something that Slater/Meyer will hear

• @BeddieKU23 Well this is from the Maryland turd Ermann

“The Dotsons have kept both coaching staffs, media and fans guessing about where he’s leaning. Neither outcome would be a surprise. This could change later in the week, but if I had to make a prediction right now, it would be Kansas.”

• BShark said:

@BeddieKU23 Well this is from the Maryland turd Ermann

“The Dotsons have kept both coaching staffs, media and fans guessing about where he’s leaning. Neither outcome would be a surprise. This could change later in the week, but if I had to make a prediction right now, it would be Kansas.”

Interesting comments from him. That’s the complete opposite I expected from Jeff. I still think he puts his CB into Maryland to keep his subscribers from jumping off the cliff… We’ll see I do agree nobody knows because they haven’t decided how they are announcing it. If they don’t do a live announcement we likely will know before hand

• further commenting to his fans

Ozziec said… (original post)

Well damn… Looks like it is Dotson to KU.

That’s the gun to my head pick. Not the “I’m hearing Kansas” pick.

They’re not giving up any info.

• My tweet was simply referring to the new Will & Grace episode set for Thursday night…

• I heard the Grimes interview. - -Came away with a little different feel now , I was kind of worried possibly about Kentucky , now - - -not so much. - -I got more of a feel if anything Texas may be more of a concern. - -He talked pretty highly of his visit there and the players on the team , knows a lot of them Bama and such.

When he was breaking down the four schools again spoke pretty favorable of Texas & really didn’t have a whole hell of a lot of over whelming about Kentucky as to give a person a feel that he is a lock for there or even really that serious.

When it came to KU , he did say that Coach had told him they thought he could come in and be our starting PG - but also he said he could play on the ball - -of the ball whatever - -still feel him and Devon could be on the floor at the same time no problem. Talked about how him and Romeo had talk some about possible package and KU being a school was one of those schools but wanted to make their best decisions. Talked about possibly announcing in December but then to maybe Jan - - or spring - -said he didn’t want to rush - -I think it will be spring. For no other reason to see who is coming back - -who committed, which I a way might be good if he waits till spring and we can get Romeo on Board. - -He also said Marquette might be a little more serious contender the what we think, - -the 1st to offer always been there - always coming 4 deep when they inner act with him - -He is the only PG they recruiting - -gonna be interesting - would really suck we lose out on both Grimes & Dotson. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY ONG BABY

• jayballer54 said: |>would really suck we lose out on both Grimes & Dotson. - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY ONG BABY

Don’t think this happens. I think if Dotson pops for MD, Grimes picks KU in short order. I feel that Grimes just wants to make sure Newman is going pro, but if Dotson picks MD then that doesn’t even matter. Jmo.

• @HighEliteMajor

FWIW, Garret played PG in HS and was selected the Gatorade POY in Texas, a State that has pretty decent HS basketball; he led his team to the State semi-finals. He had one really good game in Italy and HC Self called him the best player on the court and indicated that he can play 1-4.

I believe he would be an adequate PG if needed.

• justanotherfan said:

@HighEliteMajor

Newman is an NBA PG. He doesn’t really have a future in the NBA

These are very contradictory statements. Which one is it?

• jhawk7782 said:

justanotherfan said:

@HighEliteMajor

Newman is an NBA PG. He doesn’t really have a future in the NBA

These are very contradictory statements. Which one is it?

Actually it makes sense. He is saying that his NBA position is PG, but also that he isn’t good enough to make it in the NBA as a PG. So likely, Newman will have a long overseas career if he wants it. I tend to agree. Though obviously I root for former Jayhawks, and I hope he makes it.

This isn’t intended as an insult to Newman at all, he should have a great year for KU this year. Kid can fill it up. NBA is a freak show.

• Grimes & Langford both competed at the USA mini-camp. Zion as well

Grimes NBA comp is Gary Harris. Romeo, Danny Green. Romeo has a 6’10 Wingspan for a guard/wing… Zion measured 6’5 without shoes and 272 pounds currently. I’m sure he’ll tone up this year but its crazy to think he can do the things he can do at that weight

Here’s Grimes report-

Grimes’ skills don’t pop but the gritty combo guard impacts the game in a variety of ways with his physicality, defensive toughness and instinctual passing. Physically, Grimes compares favorably to Gary Harris at the same age. Grimes, now 17 years old, measured 6-3 barefoot with a 204-pound frame and a 6-7 wingspan in Colorado Springs. A 17-year-old Harris, a superior athlete and shooter, measured 6-3 barefoot with a 210-pound frame and a 6-6& #189; wingspan.

Grimes is comfortable as a transition and half-court playmaker, showing excellent timing and vision while on the move. He can play out of ball screens and get into the paint with his strong frame and creative footwork. He plays unselfish basketball and makes winning plays on both ends. Although not overly rangy defensively, Grimes is strong and willing to sit down in a stance and slide with both point guards and shooting guards, which should be his calling card early in his NCAA and NBA careers.

Grimes is a high-intangible, tough-minded guard who can pass, straight-line slash and make a shot with time and space. Becoming a more consistent shot-maker and finisher versus length are his top priorities, since he can be a bit limited as a scorer in the half court. He doesn’t have a ton of wiggle with the ball and won’t be able to rely as much on his physical nature against long athletes in the NBA. He’s far from a non-shooter, having made 31.8 percent of his lifetime 3-pointers with fairly sound mechanics and solid rotation, but his overall touch in the half court leaves much to be desired. His ability to make his teammates better and bring toughness on the defensive end should help him get looks in the lottery of the 2019 NBA draft. – MS

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Gary Harris (age 17.5)

Here’s Langford’s-

Langford had a strong camp, confirming his status as one of the most talented prospects in the 2018 class. He has prototypical measurements for a wing at 6-6 in shoes with a 6-10 wingspan and a strong 201-pound frame. He is an outstanding athlete on top of that, blessed with excellent fluidity, body control and explosiveness. Langford is the type of player for whom everything comes easily, especially putting the ball in the basket. He has good footwork, the ability to get to the rim smoothly without a ball screen, and plays the game low to the ground. He shows some potential with his ability to knock down jumpers from beyond the arc, particularly when he can step into them in rhythm on the hop. He doesn’t always shoot the ball the same way, though, especially off the dribble, and is still figuring out how to play with the same level of aggressiveness and intensity on every possession.

Naturally quiet and somewhat introverted, Langford said he’s aware of the fact that he’s often too passive on the floor and is looking to improve that part of his game, something we saw more of in the second day of the camp. When he’s at his best, he’s making his presence felt defensively, crashing the glass and scoring at will from all over the floor. Still not having turned 18 years old, Langford’s best days are clearly ahead of him and his talent makes him someone NBA scouts will be monitoring closely. – JG

Player he most resembles physically in the DraftExpress measurement database: Danny Green (age 22)

• @BeddieKU23 Makes me like Langford even more.

• @Kcmatt7

Definitely helps his NBA aspirations with those measurements.

Grimes certainly didn’t hurt himself either.

• @BeddieKU23 Grimes reads like a Bill Self wish list.

• @BeddieKU23 Well I really like Grimes AND as you know all to well by now my Boy Devon. - -IF it comes down to it where it has to be one or the other if they both can’t or don’t want to play on the floor together at the same time - - -if it comes to it then after reading this I would just have to increase my desire for Devon even that much more.

Like Grimes Devon for sure can take hew ball aggressively to the rim - not afraid of contact - -definitely aggressive - -loves to attack the rim, contact - -super quick , a true point guard - not saying Quentin isn’t but still and from the sounds of it a lot better scorer.

The more I hear and think about it too, Zion is a beast - -BUT overall I think between the two if I had to choose - -again I think I would rather have Romeo - - big time wing span - - so smooth - -more overall complete, probably a better defender. He would have to be my pick. - On top of that I just feel we have a better chance in the end for Romeo than Zion. – as I just feel Zion more likely then not is Kentucky bound. LOL as a little side note that I thought was kind of funny with the whole Zion recruitment. - -of course he is going to be at the BBM at Kentucky this weekend but a poster said ( We better be chanting Zion’s name really loud and clear - -They di that at late night at KU he said and Zion loved it - - lmao. - Another poster says - -well I thought it was illegal for people to do that with a recruit - - ROFLMAO - -Kentucky people kill me lol. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54 I’ve heard/read a few times now that Dotson and Grimes can co-exist as long as Grimes is sure that Newman is going pro. Grimes is okay with a 4 guard rotation, but not 5.

• @Bshark So what would be better Grimes in year one or Newman in his 3rd year in the system? I have a hard time believing Newman will be back, but I can understand Grimes’ hesitation. From my viewpoint I’d like to see Newman come back for a second year on the court over Grimes or Dotson any day of the week. …Unless that means he came back to avenge a season ending loss.

• @dylans Newman as a RSJR but he won’t be here. Grimes kinda reminds me of Selden, perhaps a + version.

• @jayballer54

You have to remember this was one man’s opinion of each player. I’m not questioning the guys thoughts on Grimes/Langford/Zion as I’m sure there’s a lot of truths and realities about each players game. The main thing with these 3 is they are all studs and all will be in the NBA most likely after next season.

Zion was the best player/prospect at the camp. If we talk what player would change/help KU the most next year it would be him. Especially if he could handle playing the wing. There is no comparison to Zion in College and the Pro’s. There’s 5 or 6 Dotson’s, 5 or 6 Grimes, 5 or 6 Langford’s in this class.

As far as guards its splitting hairs. Devon has really narrowed the gap because he does a lot of things really well. I think he’d be a more natural PG/leader compared to Charlie Moore who’s really in the mold of Mason as far as scoring mentality. I think Moore has a lot to work on as far as becoming the starting point guard here and I get the feeling I’m not the only who thinks that way.

Langford has all the measurables and talent. Kind of reminds me of Wiggins, he knows he’s good and the HS game just isn’t challenging to him. He’d start over Lawson and Cunliffe so he’s definitely someone that could help this team next year. If Self doesn’t land Grimes I think Langford will look at KU’s situation more favorably in the spring (which is his likely time period for deciding).

• BShark said:

@jayballer54 I’ve heard/read a few times now that Dotson and Grimes can co-exist as long as Grimes is sure that Newman is going pro. Grimes is okay with a 4 guard rotation, but not 5.

Ya, see that’s what I’ve been saying also. - -I just don’t see why they can’t play together. - -Don’t know how many times where I have seen Grimes say just that. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY