2018 Recruiting Thread

• MD just got punched in the nads. Prentiss Hubb committed to Notre Dame.

I guess it is KU tradition to miss your PG targets. Rough for Turg.

Not much new on the KU front. Looks like 247 did a player ranking update today?

Israel Barnes and Aaron Wiggins are both in the 80s.

• @BShark

Javonte Smart included us in his top 6. Disclaimer though if UK offers he’ll end up there. Oklahoma St is involved interestingly enough along with FSU, UCLA & the local school LSU. I don’t see LSU being his destination. Have we ever landed someone from Louisiana? Have to say we probably are not a serious threat

• @BShark

Definitely, I think it was a punch for Georgetown as well who despite hiring a big name does not seem to be getting much momentum from it. Hubb will be the good for Brey.

• @BeddieKU23

Lester Earl…he left LSU on a 3 year probation.

• @BeddieKU23 Fiddled around with it too long. The day the season was over for GTown, they should have fired JT and hired Ewing.

Their last game was 3/8. Didn’t hire Ewing until 4/3.

A month missed of valuable recruiting time and a confident endorsement of Ewing that speaks volumes to recruits… I don’t think Waters decommitts if they hire Ewing with the confidence they should have.

They made the Thompson family seem bigger than the program. The hesitation to move on could cost them. #1 rule, the program is bigger than just one person. And, if it isn’t, it isn’t a great program it is just a great coach… This is a defining moment in Georgetown’s program. And they stumbled out of the gates.

• @BeddieKU23

UK extremely likely to offer too. Not putting any thought into him coming to KU.

• @BShark

Exactly and he’s not the type Self usually likes anyway. He’s very good inside the arc but doesn’t shoot from the perimeter much and doesn’t make it part of his game… He went through a recent game in AAU without attempting a single jumpshot

• @Kcmatt7

They really dropped the ball at Georgetown and the roster has been decimated. They are looking at a 10-12 win season next year.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Hopefully we get Lester’s son in the “2019 Recruiting Thread”

• @Kcmatt7

I took some classes at Georgetown in the early 70s and at the time, it was a high academic school, difficult to get in and the basketball program was a joke. Most students did not even know the school had a basketball program and the team played in an old Gym; the big program in the area was Maryland with Lefty Driessell.

Then along comes Big John Thompson and all these top recruits start to flock to Georgetown…I always wondered what went on behind the scenes. He was was a good coach though, although wanting to be involved with the program while having interest in gambling business in Vegas was a joke. The son was a textbook case of nepotism that never did well considering the players he got based on his father’s reputation.

• BeddieKU23 said:

@BShark

Exactly and he’s not the type Self usually likes anyway. He’s very good inside the arc but doesn’t shoot from the perimeter much and doesn’t make it part of his game… He went through a recent game in AAU without attempting a single jumpshot

Sounds like a great fit for Calipari. He loves guards that can’t shoot.

• BeddieKU23 said:

@JayHawkFanToo

Hopefully we get Lester’s son in the “2019 Recruiting Thread”

Or before that even.

• I’ve been looking at Javonte Smart. He can shoot, but he gets to the rim with such ease that the best shots he can get are often layups for himself and teammates. He’s a really good passer as well, so he can set up teammates pretty nicely. I could totally see him going several games without shooting jumpers because he just doesn’t have to, although his shot is not broken like Fox’s shot when he came in.

• Bamba to texass

• Crimsonorblue22 said:

Bamba to texass

Baffling. But this makes Texas a lot better.

• @BShark

Defensively it makes them formidable, without Jones back though they are terrible. At least it wasn’t UK

• 2018 Draft is going to have some real potential in it as well. Shaping up to be another good one IMO.

I don’t see Vick, Doke, Newman or Preston listed on Draftxpress. Draft.net has Vick 1st round and Preston, Newman Svi 2nd… With all these guys playing major roles on next years squad I think that will chance a bit

• @BShark Well I thought he would pick Duke personally.

But UK was crowded and Duke at least has minor competition for PT. Texas he will get to play as many minutes as possible and grow. Shaka has also gotten 2 guys drafted the past two years. One of them being a complete surprise in Ibeh after Ridley went down.

UT now at least a dark horse in the B12 depending on how good the freshies can all be.

• Honestly, I thought we would see a Duke or UK superteam overpower their way to another championship season. But not the case… At least it appears that way. Duke without a solid post depth or a starting 5, really puts them in a bind. Still a top 5 team in my mind though.

UK missing perimeter depth will hurt. Also a lack of shooting ability. I think they are going to have some post controversy and have to play a guy like Gabriel out of position some. Bamba wouldn’t have changed my opinion of them. They WILL have to play a slow paced game, much like they did with the 36-1 team, but with less talent. They don’t have the same kind of depth. And certainly not a shooter like Booker.

• BeddieKU23 said:

2018 Draft is going to have some real potential in it as well. Shaping up to be another good one IMO.

I don’t see Vick, Doke, Newman or Preston listed on Draftxpress. Draft.net has Vick 1st round and Preston, Newman Svi 2nd… With all these guys playing major roles on next years squad I think that will chance a bit

I think all could be gone. Newman and Preston extremely likely. I think Doke wants to as well, but his position is a dying breed in the NBA and if he doesn’t get great feedback maybe he stays?

• Kcmatt7 said:

@BShark Well I thought he would pick Duke personally.

But UK was crowded and Duke at least has minor competition for PT. Texas he will get to play as many minutes as possible and grow. Shaka has also gotten 2 guys drafted the past two years. One of them being a complete surprise in Ibeh after Ridley went down.

UT now at least a dark horse in the B12 depending on how good the freshies can all be.

He consistently mentioned how much he liked Shaka iirc. And yeah, it is also the path of least resistance.

• Kcmatt7 said:

Honestly, I thought we would see a Duke or UK superteam overpower their way to another championship season. But not the case… At least it appears that way. Duke without a solid post depth or a starting 5, really puts them in a bind. Still a top 5 team in my mind though.

UK missing perimeter depth will hurt. Also a lack of shooting ability. I think they are going to have some post controversy and have to play a guy like Gabriel out of position some. Bamba wouldn’t have changed my opinion of them. They WILL have to play a slow paced game, much like they did with the 36-1 team, but with less talent. They don’t have the same kind of depth. And certainly not a shooter like Booker.

UK might have to play Baker just to have someone that can shoot. Masking him on D shouldn’t be too hard with what they have at other positions.

I’m not scared of either UK or Duke this year.

Both are top 10-ish. Duke has talent but is thin and super young outside of tripper.

• @Kcmatt7 He will help them for sure on the defensive end, It’s my understanding that his offense is lagging behind the defensive side, kind of raw offensively - -only averaged like 12.8 in high School - -but will for sure be a rim protector and rebounding machine for them. Actually though - - Allen was a better AL AROUND player - -by far a lot better offensively, good rebounder - - - -Welcome to the Big 12 Bamba - - Welcome to THE PHOG - - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• LMAO, UK board having a meltdown, it makes my day - -so many thinking he was for sure coming some of the posts were like follows:

WTF - - -to well he must not be concerned about winning - - to well at least he didn’t go to Duke - - to well this really lowers my expectations for the year - - to we needed him - - to well glad he didn’t come if he didn’t want the spotlight --to well he isn’t that good anyways - -ya, da, ya, da, ya, da. - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• @jayballer54

You just summed up how delusional that bunch is.

Bamba will probably thrive at Texas given he’s got no resistance for playing time. And with Coleman running the show they can put him in positions to get offensive rebounds and lobs which he excels at. Defensively he’s easily going to lead the Big-12 in blocks and be a + rebounder for his position. He is not polished offensively but he does have some moves and his wingspan is completely off the charts which will make him impossible to stop if he develops.

• Bamba is good for the Big-12, easily the biggest name and has the most pro potential in the league for next years draft.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Bamba is good for the Big-12, easily the biggest name and has the most pro potential in the league for next years draft.

Yeah the league badly needs more talent.

• @jayballer54 You said – “WTF - - -to well he must not be concerned about winning - - to well at least he didn’t go to Duke - - to well this really lowers my expectations for the year - - to we needed him - - to well glad he didn’t come if he didn’t want the spotlight --to well he isn’t that good anyways …”

That is exactly what we see here sometimes. Almost verbatim.

• @BeddieKU23 Ya off the charts is right. - -seems like they said what wasn’t it like 7’8 or something like that - -I’m sure not that far off - - -ROCK CHALK ALL ADY LONG BABY

• @HighEliteMajor Very True. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• 👏 shaka

• @BShark ANyone know if Aaron is related to Andrew Wiggins?

• @BeddieKU23 Udoka having a big season this year could elevate him into the lottery…we shall see

• Lulufulu said:

@BShark ANyone know if Aaron is related to Andrew Wiggins?

No relation. Andrew has two older brothers, Nick and Mitch.

• I used to think I knew recruiting. But lately, I feel after some KU misses that I don’t know sh!t about recruiting. I know recruits, but just don’t understand their decisions.

UK and Puke seem to get pretty much whoever they want, year in and year out. I don’t get it. They simply don’t miss much on many of their recruits.

It’s like the Patriot…Bill needs to watch this scene and see if it works during recruiting.

(

)

• @Lulufulu I would be surprised if Udoka isn’t lottery. Before he was injured I thought he would be a Wooden candidate this year.

• Source that is well connected to the houston high school basketball scene told me today that he wants Kentucky

In regards to Grimes.

If true just get it over kid and let KU recruit someone else. No surprise here

• Another blurb on Grimes. He was matched up against fellow 5 star PG Immanuel Quickly recently at Adidas Gauntlet. Quickly, badly outplayed him. The next day Grimes rebounded with a big game.

• Rumour that JRE to KU is done and “known in AAU circles”.

• @BShark Who?

• Kcmatt7 said:

@BShark Who?

Jeremiah Robinson-Earl. 4* PF from KC area. Top 50 type talent.

• @BShark Hey, you say is done. - -Like good for us done or another miss done, as we are losing out with him done? - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• I saw too that we are no longer a 100% get on Dotson. Been some movement for I think Florida. - - I know, I know everybody goo goo over grimes - -but I like Dotson also would be very satisfied to get him - -ya, everyone rather have Grimes - -I don’t think w will get grimes. - -MaMa might want him here BUT I don’t think he wants to come another fricken UK sucker boy kissin hind you know what for Kentucky. - -UK & Duke seems like they have it so much easier even over other blue bloods like us. - -They for sure get to pick and choose as soon as they show any interest seems like everyone else gets kicked to the curb. - -Makes recruiting soooooo easy for them, I’ll take Dotson. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

• jayballer54 said:

@BShark Hey, you say is done. - -Like good for us done or another miss done, as we are losing out with him done? - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

KU lock is the word and that it is known in AAU and recruiting circles. He might take a couple other visits just to soak up the atmosphere. He also may verbal early, like before his SR year early.

• jayballer54 said:

I saw too that we are no longer a 100% get on Dotson. Been some movement for I think Florida. - - I know, I know everybody goo goo over grimes - -but I like Dotson also would be very satisfied to get him - -ya, everyone rather have Grimes - -I don’t think w will get grimes. - -MaMa might want him here BUT I don’t think he wants to come another fricken UK sucker boy kissin hind you know what for Kentucky. - -UK & Duke seems like they have it so much easier even over other blue bloods like us. - -They for sure get to pick and choose as soon as they show any interest seems like everyone else gets kicked to the curb. - -Makes recruiting soooooo easy for them, I’ll take Dotson. - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Grimes does like UK. I think taking Moore made Dotson reconsider a bit. KU definitely in play for both though. As well as Jalen Carey, who I am a big fan of.

• Interview with Slater, the best in the business.

All I have to say is Adidas better come through with this one or its time to bail

Grimes talking about KU and Self. Positives…

We don’t need to discuss who will make the final list yet, but can you talk about the message of some of the bigger programs?

Sure. Coach Self called and said I’m a top priority and that he plays a lot of guards and sees me bringing in something different than the other guards, because of my size. He said their known now for their guards, but that I would be unique because of being able to play point guard at that size.

• BeddieKU23 said:

Interview with Slater, the best in the business.

All I have to say is Adidas better come through with this one or its time to bail

Grimes talking about KU and Self. Positives…

We don’t need to discuss who will make the final list yet, but can you talk about the message of some of the bigger programs?

Sure. Coach Self called and said I’m a top priority and that he plays a lot of guards and sees me bringing in something different than the other guards, because of my size. He said their known now for their guards, but that I would be unique because of being able to play point guard at that size.

Was hopping on to post this.

I will also add he plans to cut his list to 5 within a few weeks. So it looks like he should be an early period signing.

• @BShark

I hope he signs early. Put all our minds at ease…

• Brian Bowen ending up at Louisville. Jeez that just made them easily the Top ACC team going into next year

• BeddieKU23 said:

Brian Bowen ending up at Louisville. Jeez that just made them easily the Top ACC team going into next year

What a WEIRD 5* recruitment.