KU-IU chat here

• Banned

@jaybate-1.0

My thinking too. I just kept watching IU get one after another rebounded on offense. You can’t win that way I don’t care how much talent you have.

Bottom line IU crashed the boards and KU didn’t. MY fear is this something that can me fixed?

• @JayHawkFanToo

That’s a good point.

We played well enough to win.

Not our best, but well enough.

We’re a good team.

We just have some injury issues and Josh has to figure out how to position on defense one and two passes away.

And Self has to go to the drawing board on rebounding. Its not that we are a bad rebounding team. Indiana is a good rebounding team, so we have nothing to be ashamed of. But if we are going to play this small, our small guys have to really by into positioning most of the time, and climbing up the backs of people, when they can’t get position.

• Thought we were supposed to rank near the top of Self teams defensively… 103 later … FUCK!

• Where’s that article written from 2026 looking back where Self embraced the 3 point shot and the team went on to win more championships?

That’s looking pretty implausible at this point.

• @Bwag now that I think about it, you’re right. We would need to be able to match Dukes three point output, something we didn’t do tonight.

@Jaybate I don’t agree about the “rebounding gene” but I do think Carlton and Josh can be taught better rebounding skills. The coaching staff needs to work with them

• IU’s offense is one that lives on 3’s, much like Duke. If they were missing them this wouldn’t have been a close game. Crean has changed his offense and has made it exciting. Self has to adapt and I’m sure he’ll do it

• On a happier note, Embiid scores 16 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter to lead the sixes to their first win of the season.

• @cragarhawk

Yeah, I’m not trying to rag on Josh here. I’m just trying to analyse the break downs. A lot of times he just wasn’t remembering proper position one and two passes away. In Self defense, you have to be able to play on ball AND help one and two passes away. Josh is a fine on ball defender 90 percent of the time; that’s not the issue. The problem is his foot positioning when the ball is away. But this was his first game, and he clearly had to experience this kind of play and talent and strength, before he could begin adjusting to it. He will over the next few weeks.

• @JayHawkFanToo

Good for Joel.

• Gotta do the sand man thing.

Here’s to some work on footwork and positioning on defense and rebounding.

And to getting healthy.

Rock Chalk.

• Our solid help defense, don’t ever get beat to the hole…kills us against 3 point shooting teams.

Too often we play off of 3pt shooters and help off of 3 pt shooters because of our core defensive philosophy.

I suppose it’s asking too much, especially in an early season match up with a team with that philosophy, to get players to adjust for a single game (or two with Duke coming up).

Looking at what Villinova did to us defensively on short turn around last year in tournament, seems like things like that can be done to effect.

But I know, Self’s a system guy and that gets us a higher win% than everyone else…guess pick your poison and your bliss!

• Banned

Bottom Line is the season is far from over. Yet KU is further from a finished product than most thought. The rebounding and inside game overall needs a lot of work.

• @jaybate-1.0 true story for him. It’s gonna take a lil time. You can especially see it from the corner to the baseline. Buy its a rarity to get all of that on day 1

• @DoubleDD doke will get better

• See you all tomorrow for additional post mortems and strategy for Tuesday.

• @Bwag maybe iv’s at half

• Banned

@Crimsonorblue22

Yeah I have no doubt he will.

• Lucas just drives me nuts

• @jaybate-1.0 asked where @HighEliteMajor is. Idk. But I certainly hope it’s in coaches ear. We could use alot of that at the moment. Love that it’s early. A season can culminate in many different ways. But I do have faith we have the right guy to make the best way come to fruition

• Graham battled cramps, and Self guessed that’s why Blackmon went wild late. “We probably should’ve switched and put Svi or Lagerald on him.”

• It’s an opening game against a high quality opponent. Both sides made some mistakes late, but Blackmon’s 3 in OT that put IU up for good was just a great shot made over quality defense. KU will be fine in the long run even if the lose Tuesday as well.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 could u tell if Frank fouled him on the 3?

• @Bwag Not sure what advantage 4-1 gives us. I’m not sure what makes our team better than Indiana actually. They were better at basically everything. We were called “one of the best in the country defensively” on air, but I didn’t see us make them play bad. At minimum, they made us play just as bad as we did them.

I’m pretty disenchanted. Perhaps we can get better as a team if Jackson and Vick elevate their play, especially defensively. Or if Azubuike develops, but how likely is that?

At the same time, I was VERY impressed with Indiana. An athletic, deep team, of players with ball and shooting skills. Perhaps this is their year.

• @betterfireE we didn’t play our best and we beat them in every stat besides 3pts and rebounding. We have a wealth of good players. Self knows it’s mostly up to him to maximize them. I’m going to give him time to figure this team out. Every year we talk about how we would trade regular season wins for a deeper tournament run. We know Self will be more reluctant to do so during conference play. I believe that yesterday was instructional for Self and our team. Looking forward to the next one.

• @betterfireE I’m not convinced that we have a good scheme for 4-1 as a standard formation. I suppose drive and dish, but are we a better 3 point shooting team than last year? Will Self actually make that transition?

IDK