Rick Barnes

• There is a bit about it on ESPN.

Looking at the comments-most say let him go now.

They like his recruiting but point to underperformance.

• @JayhawkRock78 I’ve said it before, but hire the dude at KU. He can flat out recruit. Pay him 3 mil per year - relatively little stress on him for that kind of money. I’ll chip in. I get paid in a few days, I’ll chip in $10 per month…

• Last night I heard a commentator predict that Barnes would leave TX for the Tennessee opening. Barnes’ wife is a Tennessee grad? If that should transpire, I wonder if Marshall might be lured to Austin…

• @REHawk Oops! Sorry, I did not realize that the Texas thing had been addressed on another thread.

• He’s gone!

• @Crimsonorblue22 Fox Sports also just posted he’s toast.

• @brooksmd think he will retire?

• @Crimsonorblue22 Nope. Don’t even know why I was watching Fox Sports as they have Yale and Penn playing lacrosse. What a stupid game. That will probably po somebody on here.

• Wow! Go for a run and come back to a completely different college basketball landscape! I’m still honestly surprised, thought the ultimatum was legitimate. He should have been gone so long ago I just half-expected they’d never pull the trigger on the friendly old coach.

• @brooksmd watching royals! Much better! Now we are behind, boo! Need to get back outside, great weather!

• ESPN is reporting that not only are Marshall and Smart both candidates but that they both want the job. Should be interesting…

• @Hawk8086 I’d imagine Koch bros would be matching everything texass could offer. But, it would be an improvement??

• @Crimsonorblue22 I don’t think anything stops Marshall from going if Texas wants him, but in the past he has referred to the Koch brothers as his “heroes.” Perhaps that’s the real root of my distrust of the coach. I think we’re all aware they’ll match anything Texas offers and you know they’ll throw in extra elsewhere, perhaps under the table. Is it enough to stay? I think Marshall wants the talent he’ll be able to pull at Texas. I think recruiting to Kansas just got a little bit harder.

• Living in Richmond, VA, I have a very hard time seeing Shaka fitting in as Texas’ coach. Under his watch, VCU has become a brand of basketball that is geared toward undervalued athletic players giving their all in the Havoc full court press, yielding transition baskets. I can’t see it jive with “Everything is Bigger in Texas”. Though I guess I have a hard time seeing Marshall fit in there also for similar reasons. I can’t remember Texas ever being undersized and pressing hard and living/dying by the 3. While maybe that’s because of Rick Barnes, maybe it’s also because he had to play it safe. Havoc brand is risky. It could take you deep / it could be a quick out, and I can imagine Shaka quickly finding himself in the hotseat if things go poorly. He’s a super smart guy though. Maybe he’s not married to Havoc, it just worked for what he had. Either way, it could be really interesting. He does have the pedigree of a champion as a disciple of Donovan, and has had great success at VCU.

And as for having another great coach in the Big 12, I’d love to have him (night and day in terms of class compared to Marshall) and would wish him the best (except when we play him).

• @approxinfinity I agree with you about Coach Smart. Watching the cbssports special on him left me with the impression that he’s really comfortable there as a coach and as a human being, which of course doesn’t mean he couldn’t be elsewhere. He just seems like a different breed. I don’t know if Texas is what he’s been waiting for. Would love to have either in the Big 12 as I’m all for a healthy and competitive conference.

• If Marshall goes to Texas, maybe Conner can transfer there? Just joking!

• @Shanghai_RCJH If Marshall leaves and goes to Texas, yes, CF could follow to Texas. But CF would then have to sit out the entire 2015-16 season (instead of just through Christmas break). And he’d be eligible to start the 2016-17 season as a junior. He would have basically wasted two seasons.

• @approxinfinity Shaka! Thats just a cool name. My sentiments exactly on having him in the Big 12.

• @Shanghai_RCJH baker could go, he graduates.

• So, Smart and Marshall the lead candidates. I guess the ability to beat Bill Self is high on Texas’ list of qualifications.

And too bad Conner didn’t hang around–he probably could have gotten into the last 3 minutes of our last tournament game, just like last year (and just like Svi this year) in Bill’s desperate attempt to cash in on some of that Fool’s Gold, lol!

• @Crimsonorblue22

wouldn’t he just go pro, he was on NBA radars last year. don’t think he did anything wrong this year. projected 2nd round

• @BeddieKU23 no clue, he tested it last year. If his coach leaves, maybe he goes pro, if not I don’t know. Who would get the WSU job?

• @Crimsonorblue22

The names that come to mind are Ron Hunter from Georgia St, Brad Underwood at SF Austin. Not sure what they would do, would they lure a top mid-major coach or try and pluck one from the major conferences. I could see them going after a power 6 conference coach just to simply keep the momentum forward. Great home court advantage, plenty of returning players.

• @BeddieKU23 I would think that Baker would make his decision based on whether he is projected to be a sure first rounder or not…regardless of who his coach is…while recognizing there is some risk with a new coach and new system. But if he isn’t pretty sure he is going in the first round he should stay, regardless of who the coach is…IMO

• @Hawk8086

I don’t think there’s any chance he’s a first round pick. The fact that he walked on and has become a draft pick at all is kudos to his development and toughness. He’s a 2nd round pick and I think he will be happy with that assessment of himself.

I do think who coaches Wichita is a major factor, if Marshall bolts somewhere he’s he could lose VanVleet as well. If he’s graduating in May Baker’s got nothing to stay for.

A lot of domino’s to fall with that team.

• @KUinLA If beating Bill Self is that high on the list of qualifications then Texas should have kept Barnes. He beat Self more often than either of the other two. If your response is that they only played him once, remember you can draw an infinite number of trend lines through 1 point.

• @Crimsonorblue22

Rick Barnes leaves as Texas coach Updated: March 29, 2015, 1:10 PM ET ESPN.com news services

Texas Fires Rick Barnes After 17 Seasons

I wonder if Myles Turner can transfer and play? Critics are down on Turner, but Self would do way more for Turner if he transferred to KU. Likely not going to happen, but a possibility.

• @truehawk93 pretty sure he’s going to be drafted hi enough to leave.

• Or, Turner might follow Barnes to his next program. But something tells me that Barnes will take his buyout and enjoy life a bit before he jumps into another program.

Let’s not forget Barnes was FIRED. Why would Turner stay when the coach who recruited you is fired? I would like to know if Turner is talking with Barnes and his parents about a possible transfer. I’d take him because Self is obviously a way better coach. The next coach will take pretty much the next 2-3 years getting the program he wants. If you’re a freshman recruit, I’m going to spend the remainder of my time at a program that wants you, a coach that can develop you, and a strength coach that will give you the skills necessary for the next level. Why waste it?

Lastly, if I’m a freshman/sophomore big. I’m going to a program that will get me positive exposure. A program where the offense will feature me. Turner needs more bang for the buck, so to speak (not a good term in NCAA bball) and make up for lost time at UT with Barnes. He did nothing at UT and I would put that on Barnes.

Turner, take a long look before you even jump to the league. You are no where ready. Come to KU and you will be guaranteed a season that will put you where you want to be in your second year. Forget your initial recruiting snafu, no big deal. Just correct it now. Be a big man and learn. No one blames you for going to UT and staying in Texas. Now it’s time to get serious with your career.

• @Crimsonorblue22 And won’t amount to much either. Yeah, he may go, but don’t see him doing anything. He did nothing at UT.

• @truehawk93 doesn’t he have to sit a year, even if his coach leaves?

• @truehawk93

Critics might be down on him but I bet Scout’s are still intrigued with a 7 footer who can shoot, that you can add strength and muscle too. Sounds to me like a GM’s dream to me. I bet he gets some slack because he was terribly used in his one season.

• @Crimsonorblue22

yes no more waivers going foward. Transfers now have to sit regardless. That waiver rule was abused and wildly inconsistent

• @VoyagingJayhawk Agree with your points…

The Koch bros. have a pretty solid footprint in Texas… A conspiracy theorist may have hairs sticking up on the back of his neck with this news.

• @Crimsonorblue22 I believe that if a coach leaves, he can get out and don’t think he has to sit. The player only sits if he leaves by choice. But, because the coach leaves or is fired, the player is free to opt out and play at another program.

I’m trying to think of another case in point, but I can’t recall one. I could be wrong, but I don’t think they fault the player for leaving or sitting him. Maybe because he played a year, he has to sit.

He will likely jump to the league based on potential.

• @truehawk93 TaShawn Thomas of OU was granted a waiver to play without sitting because his coach at Houston was replaced by Kelvin Sampson. It seems that a waiver is required. I don’t know how many or what percentage are granted.

• @truehawk93 @sfbahawk

Yes waivers were granted for your coach leaving before. That was 2014-2015 rules.

Rules as of last week have changed to no waivers to any transfers. Only players allowed supposed “free agency” are graduate transfers.

So Hunter Mickelson could go somewhere else if he graduated from KU this May. If Self left and say Frank Mason transferred because his coach left, he will sit a full year.

• Listened to all the local Austin sports talk this am and most bandied about was that Shaka is THE front runner and Marshall is not considered to be part of the discussion.

Most salient point I heard was that Barnes and Izzo are the same age and look at what Izzo has done compared to what Barnes has done.

Finally, Myles Turner tweeted out this morning that he was not coming back to UT and was headed to the draft.

• Banned

@VoyagingJayhawk

Why is it that if somebody has a little money then they are slim balls and cheaters? Every school has Alumni with money. Thank God KU had the Booths who felt it important to no only purchase the original Naismith Basketball rules, but also to display them at KU for all to see. So what if the Koch brothers throw a bunch a money at Marshal, and try to keep him? Why wouldn’t they? He’s the best thing that’s has happened for the Shockers.

• @RockChalkinTexas

“Finally, Myles Turner tweeted out this morning that he was not coming back to UT and was headed to the draft.”

I wonder if Turner has some second thoughts about his decision to go to Texas? Seems he did it to be popular with his HS friends. I don’t think the results of his year was what he had imagined. The kid has tons of potential. Not sure he is ready to play big boy ball. He’ll have to get the right break in the right situation.

• @drgnslayr He held nothing back after the loss to Butler saying he didn’t understand why Coach had him sitting on the bench. Was never a fan favorite either. Kinda unspoken here that he probably regretted signing with UT because he is actually worse off after the year he had.

He’ll be DLeague at best. He’s not ready any more than Oubre is ready.

• @DoubleDD Well that’s hyperbolizing my statement a bit. I don’t believe anything is wrong with Wichita State matching whatever Texas throws at Marshall, in fact if they can I think they should. However, it is my opinion that the Koch brothers have been less than ethical throughout their business careers and in their business and political dealings. And I don’t think I’m being slanderous when I say that with the Koch brothers’ far-reaching sphere of influence throughout the American business and government sectors, they could provide the Marshall family with benefits far exceeding anything written into a contract.

And to add on to that, certainly that could be said for similar donors and coaches at other universities, but I don’t know that men like David Booth even belong in the same ballpark as the Koch family.

• Banned

@VoyagingJayhawk

Come one be honest the Koch family is conservative and donate big time money with the Reps. That’s what you don’t like about them.

• @DoubleDD I think my views on the Koch brothers are made quite clear in my posts. But I mentioned them in regards to the Wichita State basketball program and their probable involvement and what that involvement may entail in regards to keeping Coach Marshall from becoming a Longhorn.

• Banned

@VoyagingJayhawk

Yea but you say it in such a negative way. Like it’s bad because the Koch brothers have money, and that it’ bad if they do anything to retain the services of Marshal at Wichita St. I guess I don’t understand? I mean I agree the Koch brothers have money and most likely will throw some more money at Marshal to stay. I’m just not sure why that makes them bad guys.

• @DoubleDD Well, lets just say I’m not up for a protracted political debate over the business and political ethics of the Koch brothers.

• @DoubleDD said:

@VoyagingJayhawk

Come one be honest the Koch family is conservative and donate big time money with the Reps. That’s what you don’t like about them.

Actually they’re Libertarian but support the GOP because their true party will never win and get them the power and control they desire. And that’s what big money politics is all about.

For what it’s worth… David Koch ran for VP on the Libertarian ticket back in the 80’s. Got 1% of the vote. The most the party has ever received.

And that’s enough politics.

• Banned

@Kip_McSmithers

Oh thank God. 🙂

• @RockChalkinTexas Tom Izzo is my favorite coach next to Bill Self.