Remember the Chiefs?

• Yes, KU basketball is struggling mightily right now - but think back to the middle of the Chief’s season. They lost, what, 100 games in a row and STILL came back to win the Super Bowl!! 🏈

That has nothing to do with our basketball season. It was just a nice memory. Sorry.

• @nuleafjhawk Between the Chiefs and the Jayhawks, their last 6 championships have involved winning from dire situations:

1988 Unranked Jayhawks winning as #6 seed with 3rd biggest upset in champ history, 2008 Jayhawks down by 9 with 2:09 to go, 2020 SB Chiefs down by 10 with 6 min to go in 4th qtr (after trailing 10+ pts in both playoff games), 2022 Jayhawks down by 16 in 2d qtr (15 at half), 2023 Chiefs down by 10 at halftime, 2024 Chiefs down by 10 in 1st qtr (and by 3 in OT).

Oddly, the historically pathetically Royals’ 2015 World Series win was not close. The 1985 one was, though, requiring coming back from 1 game to 3 in both the ALCS and the WS.

So, going back 39 years, 7 of 8 championships by KC area teams were nailbiters.

Face it: we wouldn’t know what to do if we were cheering for a team that just stomped its way to victory.

Maybe we’ve got 'em where we want 'em.

• @mayjay we don’t have them where I want them, but I know what you mean!

• If you are confident put $50 KU even making the FF, be a rich man.

• @kjayhawks Haven’t bet on KU since the 2002 tournament. It ruins just cheering for them.

• @mayjay The 85 Royals were 1 Don Denkinger blown call (probably) away from losing that World Series 4 games to 2.

• @wissox Very true! And it is really fun to listen to Cardinals fans who act as if that call let a game-winning run score. Ignoring that the score after Orta’s single was still 1-0 SL, and the later 2-run single only tied the series at 3 games each. Then they got blown away (11-0) in game 7 because they were so busy whining and pouting.

• @mayjay Andujar had an all time meltdown in game 7. While the blown call looms large you’re right, if you’re the cards strap it down and get the next 3 guys out and it’s just another Cardinals WS winner! The Cubs fans blame Bartman similarly. The interference didn’t even put a guy on base. Just another foul ball was the call. They also led the series 3-1 and were leading that deciding game 6 3-0 when the famous non play happened. It may have been the same batter who then reached on an error by the Cubs shortstop. He’s the one, if anyone who should be blamed.

Like many overblown sports plays the Laettner ‘greatest shot ever (by a Duke player)’ was an NCAA quarterfinal game. Sure Duke doesn’t win the NC if they don’t convert, but it’s a slap in the face to the many other players who also made great game winners in the Big Dance and who aren’t as well known.

• I think there a big difference between the two. Chiefs have the best QB, TE, C and maybe a few defensive players at their position that had won a championship already. We don’t have the best of anything on our team. Sure a few of these guys were around for 22 but mainly just Juan. I would say me winning the power ball is more likely than us winning a NC.

• @kjayhawks said in Remember the Chiefs?:

We don’t have the best of anything on our team.

100% FALSE. What are you smoking?

Big 12 Men’s Basketball 2023-24 Preseason Awards

Preseason Player of the Year: Hunter Dickinson

Preseason Newcomer of the Year: Hunter Dickinson

Preseason All-Big 12 First Team: Hunter Dickinson, Dejuan Harris Jr.

Preseason All-Big 12 Honorable Mention: Kevin McCullar Jr.

Current Big 12 Scoring Leader: Kevin McCullar Jr. (19.5 PPG)

Current Big 12 Rebound Leader: Hunter Dickinson, (12.4 RPG)

Current 2nd Place National Rebound Leader: Hunter Dickinson

Named to the Wooden Award Late Top 20: Kevin McCullar Jr.

Finalist for Jerry West Award: Kevin McCullar Jr.

Naismith Award’s Midseason Team: Kevin McCullar Jr., Hunter Dickinson

2024 Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Watch List: Dejuan Harris Jr.

Big 12 Most Improved Player of the Year (2023): K.J. Adams Jr.

Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year (2023): Dejuan Harris Jr.

2× Big 12 All-Defensive Team (2022, 2023): Dejuan Harris Jr.

Naismith Defensive Player of the Year Semifinalist (2022): Kevin McCullar Jr.

I’m probably leaving out a few things.

• @drgnslayr preseason awards? They don’t mean squat and being one of the best in the conference doesn’t make you the he best in the world at what you do like some of the chiefs players. There isn’t a player on this roster any is #1 in the country at what they do. I like your optimism but I don’t see that in he slightest with this group not to go full blown KUballing10 here lol.

• @kjayhawks

Stop it. You don’t understand awards. Big 12 Awards happen after the season, and before it’s preseason awards.

Are you really a Jayhawk fan?

• @drgnslayr most of those preseason awards won’t stick and I highly doubt they have more than one player on first team after the seasons over. Do you know how awards work? You don’t get them for preseason bud. I’ll ask again next much position is KU the best in the country at?

• Best coach.

• @bskeet I’ll accept that answer @drgnslayr doesnt like me anymore lol

• @kjayhawks

The season isn’t over so the awards haven’t come out. Preseason awards are the most current acknowledgment for who is best.

Anyways… you don’t sound like a Jayhawk fan. Might you be a purple kitty?

• @drgnslayr lmao you must not have seen my ranting and raving after losing to them in both football and basketball in games we should have won. I’m a realist and I don’t sugar coat stuff. If we play bad I call it out.

• @kjayhawks

Just for the archives in here… the Big 12 awards are now in for this season.

Dickinson and McCullar - All-Big 12 First Team

Dickinson - Big 12 Newcomer of the Year

“Dickinson was the Big 12’s leading scorer (17.56 ) and rebounder (9.61) in league games. He ranked second in field goal percentage (134-260/.564) and fourth in blocks (1.44). In overall games, the 7-2 senior forward was the top rebounder and only player to average in double-figures (10.84) as well as the second-leading scorer (17.97). Additionally, he posted the best field goal percentage (235-427/.550) and brought home six Big 12 weekly awards, three each as Player and Newcomer of the Week.”

https://big12sports.com/news/2024/3/10/phillips-66-all-big-12-mens-basketball-awards-announced.aspx

Both McCullar and Dickinson are now finalists in national awards.

“Dickinson, a 7-foot-2 transfer from Michigan, is a finalist for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Center of the Year Award, the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame announced on Friday.”

"McCullar is a finalist for the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award. "

“Both Jayhawks’ are one of five finalists in the country for their respective awards.”

https://www.ksnt.com/sports/kansas-jayhawks/dickinson-mccullar-named-finalist-for-national-awards/

• @drgnslayr that’s a pretty small fraction of the preseason awards this team got. Almost like I said preseason awards don’t mean squat. If they did we’d win the tournament. Hunter isn’t the leading scorer in the conference. I’m honestly shocked that Kevin is still in the Jerry west conversation and got first team all B12 missing the number of games he did. But neither him or Hunter will win the Kareem or the West award.

• @drgnslayr down year in college basketball…