Caitlin Clark not moving into 1st....yet

• One of the interesting parts of this media circus surrounding the amazing Clark is that she is moving into 2nd place all time, not first.

Surprisingly the brilliant Lynette Woodard is the all time leading scorer, but the NCAA didn’t recognize stats from the 70’s/80’s when she played here. So her incredible career doesn’t get the recognition it should, but from what I hear, she was quite amazing during her time here.

That being said Caitlin will pass her up in a matter of 5 or 6 games if she keeps producing at present pace, but it’s kind of a shame one of our own isn’t recognized as the best.

• Caitlin, and I’m really not trying to diminish her career, but she has made 478 three pointers. Lynette made zero of course because she couldn’t, so there’s another asterisk on the ‘record’ that she ‘set’ tonight!

• @wissox I would also say that the overall level of competition Caitlin has gone against is much better than Woodard as women’s basketball has greatly improved even in the last 10 years or so.

• 29.5 inch ball vs. 28.5 inch ball! Lynette was the womans GOAT, Wilt is the mens GOAT!

• @Texas-Hawk-10 Do you count any older sports records? Dimaggios 56 game hit streak? Chamberlains 100 point game? Byron Nelson Jr’s 11 event win streak? Etc. Etc.

• @wissox Tom Brady said it’s easier to win a Super Bowl now than when he played played. (2 years ago)😂

• @dylans Because…?

• @nuleafjhawk Because he is a jackass. Everting was harder in my day. Nothing you do will ever be as good or as difficult as what I had to over come. Blah blah blah. Conceited I suppose.

• @dylans Well, I do think he’s right that it’s easier now - IF YOUR NAME IS PATRICK MAHOMES. 😅 😅

• There are many , many former players Coach’s saying that Lynette’s should be recognized as the record holder.- -Kim Mulkey Coach of LSU , Muffie McGraw , Lark Birdsong , Tara Vanderveer Coach of Stanford , to name some & of course Marion Washington Lynette’s Coach.- -If I remember right Woodard was the first female to play for the Harlem Globe trotters also.- These other ladies saying it is a disgrace to recognize her as the all time scoring leader and a disgrace to Womens basket ball. As far s Lynn herself she says she is happy for Catlin , as it has brought more attention to the women’s game.

Point has been brought out Catlin is actually still 126 points less then Woodard – Lynette played with bigger ball and played without the three point shot. - -You take the three point line away from Catlin , she wouldn’t even be close. NCAA spokesman said that Woodard is not regarded as such because the NCAA does not recognize individual stats while schools were members of other associations. - it was the AIAW that was the association when Lynette played , that Association was from 1972-81.-- The NCAA didn’t govern Womens Basketball until 1981-82 a year AFTER Lynette graduated.

There was mention the whole idea about the NCAA not recognizing individual stas accomplishments until after this time, they said that’s not 100 % accurate as they brought up a Women Coach being or having more wins then Coach K from Duke and being recognized by th NCAA- -well 42 of here wins came BEFORE the NCAA took ofer so saying that theory doesn’t hold water. - -Lynette was AND still is the all time scoring leader.

• @dylans Well, it might have been harder for Brady because he did have to refrain from pummeling Billicheck that whole time as that smarmy arrogant face clearly invited.

• think of these stats, for her Soph year Woodard scored 1,177 points – - - averaged 31.0 points per game - - - 14.3 rebounds per game - - and 5.3 steals per game. I would say she had a pretty good Season lol.- - - I got to see her play a couple times, she was a special talent --that’s with out the three point line and a bigger ball that Season also.

• Pete Maravich says hello.

• I’ve been friends with Lynette for 50 years now. She’s a class act and is totally appreciative of Catlin as a person and her game. She is especially appreciative of the attention Catlin receives and how she is role modeling for the next great women players.

Unfortunately… because of how this plays out, Lynette will be the player with an asterisk by her name. She’s cool with that, and prefers it especially if it helps promote basketball to more young girls.

• @drgnslayr That’s awesome! Sounds like a great person. But we gotta ask, have you ever played her one on one? Did she let you score? 🙂

• Women’s basketball wasn’t an ncaa sport until the ‘80s!!! Ridiculous

• @dylans said in Caitlin Clark not moving into 1st....yet:

Women’s basketball wasn’t an ncaa sport until the ‘80s!!! Ridiculous

Ya like I had stated the NCAA didn’t pick up on this till 191-82. A year after Lynette finishes at KU. – -it was AIAW before the NCAA

• @wissox said in Caitlin Clark not moving into 1st....yet:

@drgnslayr That’s awesome! Sounds like a great person. But we gotta ask, have you ever played her one on one? Did she let you score? 🙂

she was an unbelievable player at KU – love to watch her

• @wissox said in Caitlin Clark not moving into 1st....yet:

@Texas-Hawk-10 Do you count any older sports records? Dimaggios 56 game hit streak? Chamberlains 100 point game? Byron Nelson Jr’s 11 event win streak? Etc. Etc.

Not at all my point. My point is that when Marion played, there were fewer girls playing basketball so if someone came around with elite level talent like Marion, it was much easier to dominate the game. That’s also why so many of Wilt’s scoring records still stand as well.

Marion also played prior to the NCAA sponsoring women’s basketball. Clark’s scoring record is basically the difference between saying KU has 4 or 6 national titles. KU claims 6 national titles in basketball, but only 4 of those are NCAA titles as the first 2 are Helms titles.

Washington is considered the D1 Women’s scoring leader, but she’s not the NCAA leader since she played her entire career under the AIAW and not the NCAA. It’s a technicality.

• @wissox

Ha… I think I did a shoot-around with her once but never played her. Didn’t want to embarrass myself! lol

• Comparing athletes through different time periods isn’t fair. The competition was different and the training techniques were inferior in the early days. Even diet and lifestyle so different.

Hard to say how competitive those early athletes would be today if they were in current programs/systems. No real way of knowing.

• Just got through watching a pod cast about Sheryl Swoops, the pod cast was with host Jason Whitlock. Now we all know about Jason Whitlock - kind of a clown, BUT actually was an interesting podcast

Sheryl Swoops going off about Katlyn Clark breaking the record three weeks ago this took place, now she had to come back and try to defend her comments about Clark - Jason took her comments to task - -loved it. - Now she made one of the most ridiculous statements w have heard she says Now first ( I am not racist, Black people can’t be racist ) lol - - Whaaaa? - - Jason thought that was pretty funny, kinda like we can’t ? lol

Then she had made the accusation of why Katlyn had or was able to beat the record. -Saying that Katyln was 25 yrs old had been in College for 6 yrs and took about 40 shots per game - -Jason called her bluff on that saying actually Katyln had just completted her 4th year of College - - was 22 years old-- and averaged about 20 shots pe game --Sheryl just made heself look twice as bad sa he first appearance geez

• Caitlin is pretty phenomenal… But equally phenomenal and often forgotten is Lynette. Good move by Iowa allow her to pass the baton.

Now can we just get the NCAA to fix the record books and also to allow the Helms Championships?

• I seen Lynette at the game the other day – she still looks like she could flat ball