Unleash the big gun... now!

• I’m happy we were able to handle OSU at home without Kevin. But what is his status now? I feel confident he will play in the huge Houston game on Saturday.

We know how this goes. Players play hurt. And from what I understand, Kevin’s injury isn’t one adding risk of further injury, but strictly a nagging injury slowing him down.

Still… even though we received a little lift from our bench in the OSU game, let’s face facts; it was OSU at home!

It is starting to feel by me and I know by others, and maybe even within the team, this is a year we will not contend for a national championship. If we really put everything we had into this year, wouldn’t we…

UNLEASH THE BIG GUN… NOW!

Zach is a red shirt junior. Someone help me with the math… does he have 2 years left, or 3? Doesn’t he have a Covid year add-on?

Nice article about Zach -

https://www2.kusports.com/sports/2024/feb/01/clemence-honing-strength-versatility-during-unusual-redshirt-year/

So glad to hear he is finally bulking up! 229 lbs at 6’11".

The last time I recall his play Zach had respectable handles and trey potential. If you read the above article carefully… Self contradicts calling Zach a 4-man.

Might Zach be able to relieve minutes at the 3, 4, and sometimes even 5?

The season is far enough along for us to truly realize what we have on this team. Our only “bench with size” is now down to Parker and we know he may not be able to carry any kind of load (holding serve) moving forward in a tough schedule and NCAA tourney.

I’ve also noticed we may be having a wheel coming off Hunter. He’s been hobbling around in recent games and we still have the most crucial part of the season ahead.

If we pull Zach’s red shirt today, he will have 2 months of solid, competitive play to get into some kind of stride. The very least he will provide us with is another body to use with size and give a few of our guys more rest. The most he will provide us with is enough depth where depth is no longer an issue on this team.

Self already mentioned it was a mistake to red shirt Zach. Is it too late? Maybe the timing is perfect! Zach had a few more months to build on weight and strength. He would be joining this team having total experience on “Self ball” and has a completely fresh body!

Other teams have no problem adding in bodies this late. Just look at Kentucky! And it is already paying dividends for them!

What are we saving him for? Future years? We already have the top big man coming in… Hunter appears to be returning… KJ is solidifying future minutes… and we are in the process of recruiting several additional bigs… and then… the transfer portal!

The only thing certain with Zach is he is needed NOW!

It’s time! Unleash the big gun!

• Zach’s situation is apparently a bit unique in circumstance.

I’m not convinced he will be here next season. I think Self did him a solid to let him get right and hopefully find a better spot for himself in the next portal window.

• @BeddieKU23 yeah, I think this is pretty spot on. He was DEEP in the doghouse before he went in the portal last year, this is a get right year for him.

• @BeddieKU23

I’m sure Self would help any of his players like that. What caught my eye was him confessing a mistake on the red shirt.

• @drgnslayr

It’s unfortunate, sounds like the redshirt is having the impact needed. Self’s word will go a long way to him potentially finding another opportunity. From what I have gathered here, Zach is fortunate enough to be back and getting this opportunity to turn it around. We certainly could use him, I agree there

• @BeddieKU23

It sounds like bruised egos are getting in the way of a better March run. Why don’t they just bury the hatchet, pull his red shirt, and move on? Even if Zach improves dramatically, he won’t find a better opportunity than being a Jayhawk. I know fans would be happy to see him playing now!

• I like this idea even if all the experts here say it won’t work. Since I’m not an expert I just say go for it. “Zach Clemence, your table is ready”.

• @drgnslayr

Perhaps. I don’t think playing this year was an option available to him like it was for others who’ve redshirted here in the past and could have their shirt pulled if needed. As I understand it, Zach is very lucky Bill is who he is as a person/coach/leader and the investment to him being here was about getting Zach back on track with many things outside of basketball. In tune being around the team and the structure is supposed to ultimately lead him to a better future. Perhaps he has a chance to regain his spot for next year if he aces this test. It does sound like this is going positive for him at least.

• Best to think of it as a de facto suspension

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Unleash the big gun... now!:

Best to think of it as a de facto suspension

I wrote a whole paragraph for that one liner to hit it on the head

• After watching Braun fumble away what seems to be his 30th wide open dunk. I agree with this statement now more than ever.

• It sounds good until you think about why the redshirt isn’t coming off.

Personal responsibility or winning. Pick one.

It sounds good until you think about why the redshirt isn’t coming off.

That and Clemence has not been very good at basketball. If he was good all would’ve been forgiven a long time ago. Heck he probably would not have been in trouble if he was good enough to earn playing time, lack of court time seems to have been a large part of his attitude problem.

It sounds good until you think about why the redshirt isn’t coming off.

Already had our Arterio moment this year. That’s a difference maker for this team. Zach is Parker+ not Hunter lite. There is no savior in waiting. Gotta go to battle with the 8 we have. Nick and Elmarko need to step it up and Braun needs to play within himself.

• @dylans just catch the damn ball at this point and you have a couple of buckets a game.

• @kjayhawks said in Unleash the big gun... now!:

@dylans just catch the damn ball at this point and you have a couple of buckets a game.

lol too true

• @BeddieKU23 said in Unleash the big gun... now!:

As I understand it, Zach is very lucky Bill is who he is as a person/coach/leader and the investment to him being here was about getting Zach back on track with many things outside of basketball.

Agreed… but at this point, who needs the other more? I now think Self needs Zach more than the other way around.

@dylans said:

Zach is Parker+ not Hunter lite. There is no savior in waiting.

I’m not dreaming he’s another Furphy. He’s another body and I’m happy if he fits your idea of being Parker+. First… any improvement over Parker would be very welcome and show on the bottom line. Second… guys go hot and cold and sometimes just match up better on one team over another. Having Zach as an option gives Self one more tool in his chest. I’m making a bigger deal of this now partially because I don’t see Parker coming on more as the season progresses.

How much of a difference-maker did we need in the KSU game? Actually… a guy who gave us one extra point in regulation play would have done it. How many close games are we going to lose this year?

• @drgnslayr The worst part of that game for me was KU does not even really need an extra player for another point, just needed to make free throws.

• @dylans

We only needed one more point in regulation play…

I had noticed how tired our guys looked and played the entire second half. On every out-of-bounds or free throw they were holding their knees.

Kevin looked completely exhausted… which makes sense because he hustles more than anyone.

• @drgnslayr Don’t miss open looks. Make free throws earlier when not gassed. Guard the hot hand. They just play like crap on the road. This team can beat any top 10 team at home and lose to the bottom teams of the big12 on the road. Yin and Yang.

• @dylans

Sometimes I sense that… I hope they prove us wrong in March. At least NCAA tourney games are mostly on neutral sites.

• @drgnslayr I was not expecting 2022 so ya never know!

• @dylans I don’t think any of us did truthfully, I thought Creighton was gonna get us and they all most did.