Game notes and thoughts

1. ISU and their fans may not be everyones cup of tea but they really bring a lot of energy to the gym. They’re idiots but it feeds energy to their team and ISU seems to be always skilled enough to feed off it and regularly challenge us or beat us.

2. For the 2nd Saturday in a row, down 2, we’ve had a call go against us (last week the clean steal by Elmarko and the almost sure run out to a game tying hoop) and today around the 1 minute mark a missed travel call against them would’ve given the ball down two inside a minute left chance to tie or take the lead. But Kansas gets all the calls.

3. I’m a little puzzled by the Bill Self tech. Seemed pretty clear the kid got swiped across the head.

4. Too many careless turnovers. Passes either telegraphed, or off target. Announcer kept telling us ISU forces a lot of TO’s and maybe they do but today they seemed to be a lot of unforced errors.

5. Read it in the game thread, but KJ is such a liability at the line that teams are going to start fouling him so that he maybe only scores 1 or even 0. His formerly deadly 10 foot jumper seemingly has abandoned him as well.

6. If DaJuan had scored 1 more point we most likely would have won given his when DaJuan scores 10 or more stat.

7. Saw video of old clone fans behind the bench mocking Bill Self when he got his T. Fine with me, They’ve seen one of their teams in the FF way back when Marcus Fiezer was around. We’ve had 6 in that time period and 2 championships. If they want to look like immagure old dudes on twitter, godspeed old clones.

8. I hate watching bigs camp in the lane without whistles. Edey does it, Hunter does it, ISU did it a bunch today. Dang just blow the whistle. Guys will learn not to do it.

9. I just kind of wish Johnny would stop playing so well, LOL, I just don’t want him going pro which seems to be the chatter.

10. DaJuan and Hunter are our top 3 point shooters, Johnny is 3rd. DaJuans today was impressive, I believe it was a shot clock beating swish. I don’t want him to become high volume but he’s made 18, an average of 1 a game of course, but 2 a game would be better.

11. At this point I’m just kind of holding out hope the post season team gets hot and it turns into a memorable season. This is just feeling like one of those top 3 seed teams that gets embarrassingly run from the dance in the 2nd round which is when it always seems to happen.

12. Rock Chalk Bucketeers!

• ISU fan tweeted this: “ Kansas might be my second favorite team now cause I feel so bad that you share a state with that other school”

• @wissox I was not happy with Self on the T, it was by definition a flagrant 1. It wasn’t intentional but still was by the rules. It was fairly costly imo in the final score.

I was glad to see Juan get back to his form today. I hate to say it but he has been completely useless since conference play started. Today needs to be his average game. I wouldn’t complain if he took a few more shots but going 4/6 from the floor with 7 assists and only 2 turnovers. That’s what I expected on the average night out of him with his skill set and experience.

KJ has been working on his free throws and it’s starting to show IMO. I believe he started this season shooting in 30s from the line and he has upped it to the mid 60s now. I wasnt able to watch the second half so I’m not sure if he missed a few 1&1s or what but he was 7/10 on the day. I think most coaches would take that out of a big on the average night.

• I want to write some stuff here but I don’t have a lot of positives to lean on to balance it out. The result isn’t surprising given the state of officiating in this gym. It’s embarrassing to know before a game starts that this is what you have to overcome.

Hopefully we can get a home win on Tuesday. 5 of the next 8 are at home and that’s big

• They followed scout report. We have a couple of slow-footed defenders we have to help. If they get better we don’t have to play so far off those supposedly poor shooters. We could play 2 pass away, not 3 pass away. Shell drill.

• @BeddieKU23 I didn’t have a huge negative feeling on this one.

• @wissox

I’m not going to worry about it. Tuesday is another opportunity to get better.

• You never know how things will go in March, but I currently think it’s more likely KU will be a 2 or maybe 3 seed and reach the elite 8 than that they are a 1 or 4 or lower seed and get bumped in the first 2 rounds.

• @bskeet If this team makes the Elite 8 that will definitely surpass my expectations.

• @benshawks08 I gotta remember the rest of College Basketball is equally messy as our hawks. Still ranked #8 this week with a bunch of opportunities to win some big home and road games to come. A 1 seed is still very much in play.

• @benshawks08 I like your thinking. It’s inevitable that when a team is struggling a bit you can look at the rankings and someone will complain saying ranked too high. To which I say, well who should be higher then?

Then I went to look at the rankings and saw this power ranking thing which just proves the E$PN love affair for Duke.
    “While Duke is 3-1 in its past four games, the Blue Devils during that stretch have not looked like a team capable of making a deep run in March. They had to come back to beat Georgia Tech, lost at home to Pitt, looked underwhelming against a dreadful Louisville team and then escaped after a late foul call against Clemson. Defensively, there have been real issues. They’ve allowed at least 1.03 points per possession in each of those games and they’re struggling to put pressure on the ball. Pitt, Louisville and Clemson combined for just 27 turnovers.” Not much good written about Duke there, right? Well above that says Previous Week 15, This Week 9. So a crappy two week span and Borzello moves them up 6 spots!

• @wissox said in Game notes and thoughts:

1. ISU and their fans may not be everyones cup of tea but they really bring a lot of energy to the gym. They’re idiots but it feeds energy to their team and ISU seems to be always skilled enough to feed off it and regularly challenge us or beat us.

2. For the 2nd Saturday in a row, down 2, we’ve had a call go against us (last week the clean steal by Elmarko and the almost sure run out to a game tying hoop) and today around the 1 minute mark a missed travel call against them would’ve given the ball down two inside a minute left chance to tie or take the lead. But Kansas gets all the calls.

3. I’m a little puzzled by the Bill Self tech. Seemed pretty clear the kid got swiped across the head.

4. Too many careless turnovers. Passes either telegraphed, or off target. Announcer kept telling us ISU forces a lot of TO’s and maybe they do but today they seemed to be a lot of unforced errors.

5. Read it in the game thread, but KJ is such a liability at the line that teams are going to start fouling him so that he maybe only scores 1 or even 0. His formerly deadly 10 foot jumper seemingly has abandoned him as well.

6. If DaJuan had scored 1 more point we most likely would have won given his when DaJuan scores 10 or more stat.

7. Saw video of old clone fans behind the bench mocking Bill Self when he got his T. Fine with me, They’ve seen one of their teams in the FF way back when Marcus Fiezer was around. We’ve had 6 in that time period and 2 championships. If they want to look like immagure old dudes on twitter, godspeed old clones.

8. I hate watching bigs camp in the lane without whistles. Edey does it, Hunter does it, ISU did it a bunch today. Dang just blow the whistle. Guys will learn not to do it.

9. I just kind of wish Johnny would stop playing so well, LOL, I just don’t want him going pro which seems to be the chatter.

10. DaJuan and Hunter are our top 3 point shooters, Johnny is 3rd. DaJuans today was impressive, I believe it was a shot clock beating swish. I don’t want him to become high volume but he’s made 18, an average of 1 a game of course, but 2 a game would be better.

11. At this point I’m just kind of holding out hope the post season team gets hot and it turns into a memorable season. This is just feeling like one of those top 3 seed teams that gets embarrassingly run from the dance in the 2nd round which is when it always seems to happen.

12. Rock Chalk Bucketeers!

It would be nice if the post season team gets hot. We have five scoring players and if they all have a good game we total about 75 to 80 points. The important word is all. If one has a bad shooting game, several turnovers or sits extended time because of foul trouble we are going to be playing catch up without any back up. It’s already happened. Sometimes we can overcome it and sometimes we could/will get beat even if we are playing good. Razor thin and it’s gonna be an exciting trip so I’m not going to expect more than a reasonable outcome. These guys are not jerks or slackers and we might see our three bench players bail us out.