Kansas Football Player Arrested over Bomb Scare

• I’m wondering if there’s a mental health issue at play here because that’s what this feels like.

• Was a prank gone awry, not a serious threat. My hunch is it’s overcharged but we will see.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Kansas Football Player Arrested over Bomb Scare:

Was a prank gone awry, not a serious threat. My hunch is it’s overcharged but we will see.

I can think of about 1,000 pranks off the top of my head without any of them being something like this. I’m sur he is no longer a member of the team and is facing some charges -, kid needs to find a different hobby cause he is sur not a comedian

• Football players doing dumb stuff? Never! It was hot. Guess he didn’t want to practice.

• Take a deep breath, watch some coming of age 80s movies, and walk it back from there.

• What was the name of the lineman that got stuck in the Taco Bell drive through window (around 2000)? That place had terrible service, wish he could’ve made it through 😂

• @jayballer67 I feel like we have a LOT of company. It’s just the way of the world now. No respect, no morals, no sense of community or loyalty. And I believe it’s going to keep getting worse. I don’t normally consider myself to be negative on a large scale, but I do try to be realistic. 🤷🏻♂

• @nuleafjhawk said in Kansas Football Player Arrested over Bomb Scare:

@jayballer67 I feel like we have a LOT of company. It’s just the way of the world now. No respect, no morals, no sense of community or loyalty. And I believe it’s going to keep getting worse. I don’t normally consider myself to be negative on a large scale, but I do try to be realistic. 🤷🏻♂

I agree buddy kinda sad

• @nuleafjhawk yep exactly how I am and what I was getting at the other day.

• @FarmerJayhawk as the Big Lebowski would say “that’s just an opinion man”. They’re definitely things that are better these days but also things that are worse. We are all sports people here, you could work a minimum wage job for a day and buy a World Series ticket in 1973 now you’d have to work for nearly a month at minimum wage to afford a ticket.

• @kjayhawks yeah, and the reserve clause was still in effect so players didn’t make close to their market value. Which kept ticket prices way down.

• @FarmerJayhawk I don’t think the players were starving any lol

• @kjayhawks of course not. Average salary was $36k. Lots of the lower paid guys had winter jobs and the game was barely integrated but hey at least a few people in each city could afford tickets. Don’t live there? It’s not on tv and almost nobody could afford a plane ticket. Sounds amazing

• @FarmerJayhawk average air fair was $49 back then. I’m just saying that one guy’s opinion that nothing was better isn’t factual. Merely his opinion, if you like Coke and I hate it does it mean I’m wrong or you are? Should the rest of the population just agree with you for the sake of it? Now that you are back in Lawrence I need to come have a beer with you.

• @kjayhawks oh yeah I’m always down for brewskies. Hit me up whenever!

I don’t begrudge anyone their opinion, that’s all well and good by me. It just cracks me up that “things were better in my day” has been a common sentiment since God was a boy

• @FarmerJayhawk love this.

• Better - football, ncaa basketball, international basketball.

Worse - baseball, nba.

Who cares? - hockey, soccer.

Not going to touch - real life stuff.

• @dylans One thing I love is that someone has an old refrigerator in the basement, or a truck from 1962, and immediately says, “They don’t build 'em like that anymore!”

As if all the ones that they did build are still around. “Hey! Do you know what an exception is?”

• @mayjay Both of those are death traps. Glad they don’t build them like that anymore, even through I own a ‘65 F250. I like that a non-mechanic like me can work on it. Rebuild the carburetor? No problem. Even changing the brake pads on my 2020 Silverado requires a computer to reset the warnings that the brakes have been tampered with and speed is limited to 40mph. 90k miles and it’s falling apart due to inferior component life, but I’m not nostalgic for a hard to start carbonated vehicle that will kill you in a fairly minor accident. But yeah they don’t build them like that for a reason - partially safety, partially cost saving, a lot of emissions junk, way lighter metal, components are built to fail now. They were built to last forever - example A Cuba. 😂

• I actually do think appliances are crap these days, bought my first washer and dryer used from my mom that was 20 years old and they lasted another 10 for me. I’ve had (8 years) 3 sets since then, 10 years is about max on them nowadays. I had to put a heating element in the old dryer once but the trouble now is the parts you need to repair anything cost as much as a new machine. Last dryer needed a control panel $415 for a new one or go buy another new dryer for $520. I’d say it’s not normal for stuff to last 50 years but we never replaced that stuff often growing up. My in laws built their house new in 1982 with all new appliances. Guess what they all still work and they won’t buy new for the same reason.

• I will say most kitchen stuff is better old. You can’t beat cooking with cast iron. Modern “nonstick” is horrible.

• @kjayhawks said in Kansas Football Player Arrested over Bomb Scare:

I actually do think appliances are crap these days, bought my first washer and dryer used from my mom that was 20 years old and they lasted another 10 for me. I’ve had (8 years) 3 sets since then, 10 years is about max on them nowadays. I had to put a heating element in the old dryer once but the trouble now is the parts you need to repair anything cost as much as a new machine. Last dryer needed a control panel $415 for a new one or go buy another new dryer for $520. I’d say it’s not normal for stuff to last 50 years but we never replaced that stuff often growing up. My in laws built their house new in 1982 with all new appliances. Guess what they all still work and they won’t buy new for the same reason.

Most machinery in general is crap today compared to the past because modern machinery (cars, appliances, etc.) isn’t built to last because companies figured out that if you build something that lasts forever, it’s bad for business in the long run because a person only buys that product one time. Building machines to intentionally wear out and need replacing generates more business for those companies because people have to replace things.

I’m going to slightly disagree with @FarmerJayhawk about cookware though. I do love cast iron because it is very versatile good for cooking most proteins, but there absolutely plenty of things that non-stick and enamel cookware is good for as well. I love pasta and making homemade sauces. The acid in tomatoes though is terrible for cast iron seasoning so I tend to use non-stick when making various sauces that have high acidity.

• @kjayhawks Bought a new drier and while installing it I left a handprint dent in the top - it looks like Superman grabbed it. Thin junk with electronics that started failing after less than a year. I’m getting a speed queen next time.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 who knew we’d be talking about cookware on here haha. The main reason I keep driving my 05 Chevy 225,000 miles