Early Hearings TM

• An easy way to take some pressure off of Harris is to let KJ and Hunter run a bit of patented Bill Self high-low action.

I would also expect KU to play at a similar tempo to the '22 title team which Kenpom had at 65th for tempo. Not track meet speed, but not that slow either.

I would also fully expect to still see a lot of 4 guard line ups whenever KJ or Hunter are off the the floor. I don’t know how much you can have them off the floor at the same time when the game is still in doubt, but I’d be surprised if they’re both off the floor at the same time more than about 50 minutes of meaningful minutes this year. Foul trouble is about the one thing that could derail that, but Dickinson is pretty good at not fouling so it shouldn’t be a big issue this season.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Early Hearings TM:

An easy way to take some pressure off of Harris is to let KJ and Hunter run a bit of patented Bill Self high-low action.

I would also expect KU to play at a similar tempo to the '22 title team which Kenpom had at 65th for tempo. Not track meet speed, but not that slow either.

I would also fully expect to still see a lot of 4 guard line ups whenever KJ or Hunter are off the the floor. I don’t know how much you can have them off the floor at the same time when the game is still in doubt, but I’d be surprised if they’re both off the floor at the same time more than about 50 minutes of meaningful minutes this year. Foul trouble is about the one thing that could derail that, but Dickinson is pretty good at not fouling so it shouldn’t be a big issue this season.

Now this is what I wanted…always delivering @Texas-Hawk-10

• @FarmerJayhawk Correct. Teams know him and the way to guard him. I expect him to shoot 3 threes a game and make 1 so 33%

• @kuballin10 May we borrow some of your phrases and your name to play a game called “KUBALLIN10 BINGO”? Missed our chances the past couple years, but we didn’t realize the truly predictable orbit of this comet! 😉

• @mayjay Sure only if you add actual analysis than you may! 🙂

I started thinking more about our team and we can’t shoot and we will labor to score as Self says. I start to cringe

UK has Reeves, Wagner and Dillingham who can all fill it up meanwhile we are talking about HOPING MULTIPLE guys can make a third of their 3’s or it’s gonna be tough

Duke also is a better scoring team than we are

I’m still irritated we don’t have better bench help. Timberlake is gonna just Chuck 3’s, furphy’s gonna average 8 minutes a game due to mistakes Bill can’t live with and Braun is well Braun

When Kev is thinking he’s the new Och or Wilson we are in trouble

• Kentucky might be a hot mess this year tbh. Talented yes but some odd fits and multiple guys that are really only looking to get theirs and not run good offense. Plus Cal is washed. I think they will show to be not a top 10 team but we will find out soon enough…

• @BShark they already hit their peak. #1 recruiting class is a successful year for Cal.

I’m with you, I don’t like their team at all. They’re going to be wildly inefficient chuckers without a lot of defense. Wagner, Dilly, and Mitchell are sieves. And they don’t have any depth.

• @FarmerJayhawk @BShark They don’t have depth your right was thinking they had more off the bench

The issue is if they get hot chucking one night we are screwed

• @BShark said in Early Hearings TM:

Kentucky might be a hot mess this year tbh. Talented yes but some odd fits and multiple guys that are really only looking to get theirs and not run good offense. Plus Cal is washed. I think they will show to be not a top 10 team but we will find out soon enough…

Actually you mean a hot mess - - -AGAIN. Cal I think has done the least for the amount of talent he has had over the years. - the last few especially, they have underachieved. What you have is a group of individuals NOT Team guys that their only thought is or seems like give me the rock and let me show my skills so I can advance to the NBA. -guys not team oriented , I think Cal is lost when it comes to game time prep anymore

Makes you wonder who is in charge a lot of times they just seem lost , like first guy down the floor shoot, no team concept what so ever. - -we shall see. They have the talent , they just don’t have the Coach. You give these guys to a Coach like Bill and it would be like holy crap.

• @kuballin10 said in Early Hearings TM:

@FarmerJayhawk @BShark They don’t have depth your right was thinking they had more off the bench

The issue is if they get hot chucking one night we are screwed

The is probably a roster or two I’d trade with fwiw. But Kentucky definitely isn’t one of them and especially not with Self (ton of freshman with Self is a no no for me).

• @BShark That’s fair

Who are the two? Duke and…….Uconn?

@BShark That’s fair

Duke for sure. The others I waffle a bit on. UConn I really like Clingan (I’d trade Hunter for him is one of my hot takes) but they have a few issues too.

@BShark That’s fair

Michigan St. has a really strong roster this year with loads of experience that I think Self could do a lot of really good things with if he had that team.

• Apparently TCU lost to Alabama, 85-81 in a (shh- secret) scrimmage. The interesting part is that Udeh played 20 minutes getting 2 pts (1 of 3) and 2 fouls, 4 rebounds.

• Nick’s confidence is shattered right now. Hopefully Self builds him back up.

• @BShark Self doesn’t have time to play mind games with senior transfers this season especially…he’d be an idiot if he did that.

He had some good looks last night just didn’t knock them down. Needs to get lower on D.

He can contribute - why is his confidence that shattered already?

@BShark Self doesn’t have time to play mind games with senior transfers this season especially…he’d be an idiot if he did that.

He had some good looks last night just didn’t knock them down. Needs to get lower on D.

Was told he is “thinking too much” and “isn’t used to Self’s style of coaching”. Something to monitor.

@kuballin10 said in Early Hearings TM:

@BShark Self doesn’t have time to play mind games with senior transfers this season especially…he’d be an idiot if he did that.

Was told he is “thinking too much” and “isn’t used to Self’s style of coaching”. Something to monitor.

Furphy season then

• @rcjhdraft said in Early Hearings TM:

@BShark said in Early Hearings TM:

Furphy season then

I can see scenarios where Furphy gets more minutes. That said I do hope he snaps out of it enough to at least be a bench shooter. Between Elmarko/Furphy/Timberlake ideally we have one guy that is a KU level starter and the other two don’t kill us off the bench. I think something along those lines is required for this team to be as good as we are hoping for. Right now Furphy could even be the starter. I think it will continue to be Elmarko but he has a lot to learn at this level.

Not sure it is really mind games so much as just the way Coach Self is. When he is in coach mode on the court whether during a game or during practice, he is hyper vigilant, hyper aware, and hyper critical. We’ve all seen it with the quick hook, and if you’ve listened to any past players talk about practice, they all sound the same. The ones that love him can laugh about how harsh he can be, how he will criticize every piece of your game and who you are but then as soon as practice is over, be the fun loving charismatic guy we see on TV or if you’re lucky enough to have met him in person.

That works for some guys. And in the end is beneficial because they learn to separate basketball from their identity and realize it’s a game that some of them can continue to make money in as a job and others will just have to let go. Some people take criticism as a challenge, and will try to prove the criticizer wrong. Others take it to heart and think that means they aren’t good enough to compete. We’ve heard talk of “the toughening box” for certain players and I used to believe that, but after listening to Mitch and Landen interview other former Jayhawks I think the toughening box is really more about the personality of the player than Self focusing on a guy. He has an idea for what he wants out of every player and is going to pick apart every aspect of their game so they know how to give him what he wants. That’s just my take from never having watched a practice but just listening to the podcasts these former players are hosting these days.

@rcjhdraft said in Early Hearings TM:

@BShark said in Early Hearings TM:

Furphy season then

I can see scenarios where Furphy gets more minutes. That said I do hope he snaps out of it enough to at least be a bench shooter. Between Elmarko/Furphy/Timberlake ideally we have one guy that is a KU level starter and the other two don’t kill us off the bench. I think something along those lines is required for this team to be as good as we are hoping for. Right now Furphy could even be the starter. I think it will continue to be Elmarko but he has a lot to learn at this level.

Furphy time!

• Yeah I wasn’t excited at all about Timberlake since he’s a one dimensional guy at this level but hey, everyone wanted shooters seemingly at the expense of everything else so Bill must’ve opened the suggestion box outside Allen

• I think Furphy will be fine i some time. fighting shin splints is no joke. - I think maybe the biggest thing for him might be just getting in the training /weight room filling out some.