Stadium Renderings

• @bskeet ohhhh. In that case there’s parking directly west of the stadium by the indoor and the parking garage right by the union. If folks stay at the Oread or on site that will help a lot too.

On the tailgating piece, that’s just one of the tradeoffs we have to make to get this done. There will be space on the hill and in the neighborhood north but the actual space there is so limited you can’t squeeze everything in.

• @FarmerJayhawk Cool. (Tailgating didn’t really have deep tradition at the stadium anyway, at least not as I recall.)

As long as they are thinking about the experience of how people get in and out for the variety of events that they intend to host there. If you build something this awesome, you want the whole experience to be awesome.

Was there any mention of hosting concerts there?

• @bskeet not that I heard. They’re putting out RFPs for development around the stadium, so we’ll see what folks in the area come up with.

• I’d love to see renderings of the inside spaces-- the places where people get food and such. That’s a huge opportunity as well.

I’m sure they are focused first on suites, but I think the walkways inside make a big difference on the experience. Just my 2cents.

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Stadium Renderings:

HAWT https://kugatewaydistrict.com/david-booth-kansas-memorial-stadium/

Interesting design. It kind of looks like wheat or a bird nest from the outside. Moreso from the inside.

alt text

I also read that it could be a place to house lights or in the future to add a canopy to make it more comfortable/less hot for fans.

• @bskeet said in Stadium Renderings:

Do you think the design suggests that they want to discourage tailgating at the stadium?

the way Goff was talking – they are looking for just the opposite

• Maybe this a stupid question but would any of the original stadium be left? I’ve always like how the outside looks like the Roman Colosseum.

• @kjayhawks not much. I also like the north facade but sure seems like it has too big a footprint to stick around.

• I heard concerts mentioned. I also heard another comment about birds nest and Venus fly trap.

• https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article278243263.html?ac_cid=DM835009&ac_bid=-583358265

The rendering looks a bit cluttered. I’m afraid the silly pillars will look dated and trendy in a few years. Hopefully the real deal turns out better than the drawing.

• They have a chance to turn the tailgating scene into something special on the hill, imo. But it will take some effort on part of the athletic department. “The Hill” could become “The Grove” or any of the other famous tailgating spots.

Offer to reserve the same spot for $50 for the entire season and base the select a spot off of the same select-a-seat. Allow setup the night before. Allow drive-up cleanup at the top of the hill. To get people interested in doing it, offer up cool giveaways and experiences. Put in a student section that is free hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and soda. Bring in some food trucks. UCF has concerts pre-game at almost all of their games, that could be a way to liven up the hill.

Of course it only matters if the product on the field can sustain some level of success.

• Holy @#$&% is that hideous. Noooooooooo!

Well, the light stanchions at least. Wow. so many unpleasant things come to mind:

A prison cell, a Venus fly trap, a skeleton, sharp, stressful, a bunch of big dcks, a bunch of big dcks with condoms at the end, needles, spiked snow shoes, fragile, delicate, snappable, the Abominable snowman’s teeth, guns about to be fired.

So bad.

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in Stadium Renderings:

Holy @#$&% is that hideous. Noooooooooo!

Well, the light stanchions at least. Wow. so many unpleasant things come to mind:

A prison cell, a Venus fly trap, a skeleton, sharp, stressful, a bunch of big dcks, a bunch of big dcks with condoms at the end, needles, spiked snow shoes, fragile, delicate, snappable, the Abominable snowman’s teeth, guns about to be fired.

So bad.

Hell you want BAD- -have you been to Booth Stadium in the last 50 years ? - thats the true definition of BAD - -the place is a Dump.- - Huge upgrade gonna be really nice – love the lights , the scoreboard - the south end zone closed but not really bad – -and a lot more space in seating- - RIGHT NOW the place is a disgrace.

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in Stadium Renderings:

Holy @#$&% is that hideous. Noooooooooo!

So bad.

PHOF!! I vote for Venus Fly Trap!

• @rockchalkjayhawk i dont think its that bad 🙂

• Something out of science fiction being built in orbit.

• I am in the camp that thinks the renderings are ugly as sin… have to end up looking better in person I think

• I think the lights have promise, but it could go either way. The lights made me think of wheat… It’s something that the designers could pull off if they incorporate a visual theme throughout the environment. It needs to be deliberate design and not just a trendy thing.

Overall, my biggest concern continues to be parking.

I like the idea of tailgating on the hill… However-- 1) worried about damage to the hill and 2) not sure where people park and how far they have to lug their tailgating stuff.

My vision of tailgating is that you drive in, unload your crap right there… finish about 30 min before the game, pack everything up in the car/truck/trailer, and walk across the parking lot to the stadium entrance.

• Dam Northwestern wanting to build an 800 million stadium, that’s insane

• @jayballer67 Basically one mans money paying for it, the Ryan all of their stuff is named after.

• I think the marching band should come out and form a beating heart in the middle that bursts at some point - since the stadium looks like a ripped open rib cage.

• Love the passion you guys have for this!

• @bskeet There are so many other models to follow for the tailgating. We don’t need to be KSU where we just have a big ass parking lot. I know it is like some sort of Kansas/Missouri cultural thing where you must be within 10 steps of where you parked or else it is too far of a walk. But assuming they let you setup the night before, and essentially do a “drive-up” pickup, they have a lot of opportunity.

I should also note that a lot of schools have a tailgating “service” where you hire a 3rd party to do your setup and teardown so that all you have to do is show up. KU has a similar thing already for the Hill, it just hasn’t been utilized.

There are ways to get this right and create an awesome environment.

• FWIW, these are the rules for “The Grove” tailgating.

• 7PM setup on Friday’s - claim your spot by opening your tent up fully. It is a dead sprint to get your spot in a 10-acre area
    • Booze must be in red solo cups
    • Tailgate are must be cleaned up within 3 hours of the game finishing.

They also have a whole list of vendors who they partner with for catering, tent setup, games, and beverages.

UCF’s Memorial Hall

• Open container policy is waived during games
    • Essentially tailgating starts at 8AM, if an evening game, later.
    • Reserve your tailgating spot online Sunday before the game.
    • Road nearest the area is blocked off for drop-off of tailgate equipment
    • Cleanup has to be done before you go into the game (from experience this happens. They have a million trashcans and the area is “spotless” before kickoff).

Just a couple of examples out there. I think a blend of these two models would work really well in Lawrence. Hoping Goff has the same big picture to create a great gameday atmosphere in Lawrence.

• Put a good product on the field and the rest will come.