Was it or wasn't it? Calls affecting games.

• Some interesting spotlight on officials today.

First, foremost, of course our game.

Here’s a pretty good video, mainly of scoring plays.

Of course the headline on CBS

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/kansas-vs-oklahoma-state-score-no-4-jayhawks-erase-double-digit-deficit-escape-after-controversial-finish/

“Controversial Finish”. The words jumped out. ESPN avoids using the term. FoxSports I gave up looking for a story.

There were various opinions on our game chat. The twitter response to the CBS sportswriter is pretty overwhelming that this was a non-story in the game. OSU fans said '“we shouldn’t have blown a 15 point lead”. KU fans noticed the generally feeling that OSU was receiving favorable calls throughout the game. Many pointed out the out of bounds call that wasn’t reviewed just before that McCullar block. I didn’t see it closely enough to determine. If you watch the video I linked it is on there but nothing conclusive except it does seem to appear that OSU guy just fumbled it out of bounds.

In a more important game (sorry but it was!) Michigan was questionably robbed of a TD that would have greatly impacted the game if it had been allowed to stand. If you didn’t see it, here goes.

Ruled a TD so if I understand the rules you need incontrovertible proof to overturn. In real time it is very clearly a TD, it was a surprise when they announced a review even. It’s really a 50-50 call, but replays shouldn’t be 50-50 to overturn.

In the last play of the game MU’s hopes ended when a guy got reviewed for a helmet to helmet type call. Appeared to be to me. Refs say no and game over. Longshot for MU even if they get the call because they would have had about 50 yards to score still with about 25 seconds.

Internet will mean these things will be discussed, in our case maybe weeks, in MU’s case years. Generally reviews work well, but at times it leads to headscratching moments.

What’s your take on todays plays? Did we receive home cooking as the CBS article claims? These things matter not in terms of national security or political stability or anything but fans pour a lot of emotional energy into our teams and we want things to be called right.

• Georgia gets to play a playoff game in Atlanta…

• The officiating in our game was very inconsistent. Stretches of the game, each team was getting away with murder and other stretches, they calling every ticky tack thing. That makes it very difficult for players to get into a flow because they don’t know what’s going to be called and what’s not.

Michigan got hosed twice on that drive they fumbled on the goal line because the refs moved the ball back a couple of yards from where that drive should’ve started after the interception.

• That was some awfully inconsistent calls especially fouls on the catch, first pass into an offensive set. Very inconsistent on several other areas. Jalen Wilson doesn’t get nearly the calls he should get. You could see he was gassed at times, very physical game and he was fouled on just about every possession he had off the dribble or near the rim.

Jalen Wilson also got clobbered and thrown to the ground and was called for a foul on a play on defense with most of the team going the other way because it was a foul on OSU. Anyway for the crowd out there that says KU gets all the calls at home this wasn’t one of those type of games

• The biggest call-non-call was McCullar’s block. But it was the right thing for him to do, completely stop the bucket and make Bryce go to the line to tie for overtime. From what I saw, Kevin got all ball, but the follow thru had lots of contact involved. Could easily have been called a foul, in fact that play would be a called a foul at least 80 percent of the time. If it had gone to overtime, I think we win anyway, we had the mojo at that point. And yes, as beddieKU said, Wilson got hammered a lot with no calls.

Kj Adams is fast becoming a really favorite KU player at least with me - team guy 100 percent- self clearly loves him and for good reason.

Can Grady find his spots now that every team will put their best defender on him? It feels to me he needs to up his movement away from the ball, because welcome to the crucible of division play - expect this now every game GD!

• @Texas-Hawk-10 said in Was it or wasn't it? Calls affecting games.:

The officiating in our game was very inconsistent. Stretches of the game, each team was getting away with murder and other stretches, they calling every ticky tack thing. That makes it very difficult for players to get into a flow because they don’t know what’s going to be called and what’s not.

Michigan got hosed twice on that drive they fumbled on the goal line because the refs moved the ball back a couple of yards from where that drive should’ve started after the interception.

I know from personal experience when If was officiating Basketball and then have heard also - -If it is being called well , you will not even realize there is a Referee in the game.

I mean though if an official wanted you could call something every time down the floor. - If you wanted to get that picky. - - Yet like you said consistency is the key word. - How you gonna call it - -extra tight loose what ?

• @Bosthawk - Bryce has been 56% from the free throw line. Granted he had a hot hand Saturday, but averages say he makes 1 of 2.

• @BeddieKU23 I was noticing Jalen getting fouled while driving. Someone kept complaining about moving screens and I thought they said the 3 ball near the end by OSU was an illegal but I didn’t notice it in the clip above.

@Texas-Hawk-10 I think you’re right about the inconsistent part.

@Bosthawk I think it’s impossible for officials to just call things like they would in the first minute and the last minute. You might be right. Kevin was thinking don’t let him score. Make him beat us on the line. What’s puzzling is the lack of replay review on the OOB on the previous play. Not sure why Self didn’t ask for a review unless his player told him don’t bother. I’d think players might honestly tell a coach it was out on me and don’t waste a review when you might need it.

Gradey I thought showed a lot of maturity yesterday. He didn’t force shots especially from the outside. Only scored 8 but filled the box score with rebounds and assists. We may not win without his amazing hustle rebounds and passes out to open 3 point shooters in the 2nd half. 6 points resulted from those two plays alone.

• @Gorilla72 anybody notice the rest of Bryce’s box score?

• @Crimsonorblue22 - ouch….

• @Gorilla72 could be why he left…

• @wissox

I wonder if some of it has to do with how much bigger Jalen is this year. He always is aggressive and he’s able to take contact a lot easier this season where in the past he might have sold the contract easier for a foul. It’s been a developing issue I’ve been seeing. Jalen has been on the refs a lot this season and imo rightfully so