KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

@jayballer67 said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

@KirkIsMyHinrich said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

Is Udeh hurt or just not playing?

They said Ernest- - -just isn’t getting it. - - ya think ? – if he is getting passed over by Cam Martin then there is something wrong for sure

I must be getting my KU bigs confused…didn’t Udeh start the season as our first big?

No actually it’s been KJ from day one - - BUT Udeh had been the 1st big off the bench , can’t find the floor now. - -he made it on for like the last 2 seconds today to try and protect the rim is what Coach Self said afterwards

• @BShark said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

Saw some people comparing KJ to Jamari. We can stop that right now.

Honestly, and I may be off here, but to me a great comparison for KJ is Mark Vital.

• @KirkIsMyHinrich said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

@BShark said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

@KirkIsMyHinrich Boynton is the best coach we have went up against since…honestly… Ricky?

No bad coaches in the B12 now that Weber is gone. I was trying to rank them all the other day and was having trouble with it.

Let me help - #1 Bill Self …then the rest.

• @drgnslayr

Even Ochai had some trouble adjusting to how teams guarded him and he was a senior. Gradey is definitely being schemed against, almost every time he caught the ball a defender had a hand in his face so it was a well executed plan. Gradey has an elite shot but he has a ways to go off the bounce from a speed/shiftyness ability. Teams have seen that on film and found some success slowing him down. It’s pretty telling what opposing coaches think of Gradey when they are trying to shut down your 2nd leading scorer, who’s a freshman. I thought Gradey could have done more of what he usually does when he gets guarded that way is to utilize the back cut for layups etc. Didn’t see a lot of that from anyone tbh but especially Gradey who’s skilled at this. It makes a defensive player guarding him adjust. Freshman moments. I was very happy with his effort plays yesterday which helped the team win.

• Great to see KJ’s development and his confidence.

Bryce T looks like a totally different player now, good for him.

• @AsadZ said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

Not trying to sound bitter but that game was an anomaly for him statistically compared to the year so far.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/bryce-thompson-1.html

He’s been a net drain offensively. Volume guy but not particularly good.

• That’s good to know

• Yesterday reminded me of last year. This was Miami/UNC all over again. We held them to 28% shooting in the 2nd half. It’s like we put a big clamp on other team’s offenses the 2nd half. The CLAMP lives!

• @Jethro my only concern is that this team seems to know they can flip a switch and make things happen. That can be a dangerous mindset. I’d rather the switch be stuck in the on position.

• @benshawks08 said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

@Jethro my only concern is that this team seems to know they can flip a switch and make things happen. That can be a dangerous mindset. I’d rather the switch be stuck in the on position.

Playin’ with fire…it works until it doesn’t.

• BTW, KJ has scored over 10 points in 6 straight.

• Kjraymond Green.

• Anybody know kj’s ft stats from say last 6 games? He’s really improved

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

Anybody know kj’s ft stats from say last 6 games? He’s really improved

11/14 so just under 79%

• I saw Kevin!(s) block from the front, doesn’t look like he comes down on Bryce. Bryce falls forward on his own so Kevin has room to come down without landing on him. I know I know. But it doesn’t look like he follows thru on his body🤩 trust me.😎✋🏼Honest

• @BeddieKU23 thx stats man! He’s really improved, all around!

• @BeddieKU23 said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

@drgnslayr

Even Ochai had some trouble adjusting to how teams guarded him and he was a senior. Gradey is definitely being schemed against, almost every time he caught the ball a defender had a hand in his face so it was a well executed plan. Gradey has an elite shot but he has a ways to go off the bounce from a speed/shiftyness ability. Teams have seen that on film and found some success slowing him down. It’s pretty telling what opposing coaches think of Gradey when they are trying to shut down your 2nd leading scorer, who’s a freshman. I thought Gradey could have done more of what he usually does when he gets guarded that way is to utilize the back cut for layups etc. Didn’t see a lot of that from anyone tbh but especially Gradey who’s skilled at this. It makes a defensive player guarding him adjust. Freshman moments. I was very happy with his effort plays yesterday which helped the team win.

It’s very easy to expect more out of Gradey every game after seeing that pure shot. But to shoot that shot he’s gotta get open. That didn’t happen at all yesterday.

So far he doesn’t seem to have as good conditioning as other players. Wonder why that is, or if I’m imagining it.

He forced lots of shots yesterday. That’s fine, we need him to shoot, but the coaching staff needs to find a way to get him open. It sure doesn’t seem like he run off screens like Och used to do to get open. Or maybe our screens aren’t as good?

• @BShark said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

@AsadZ said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

Not trying to sound bitter but that game was an anomaly for him statistically compared to the year so far.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/bryce-thompson-1.html

He’s been a net drain offensively. Volume guy but not particularly good.

Seems we ALWAYS have one of those guys every year

• @rockchalkjayhawk

He is playing a lot of minutes and we may forget he’s only played 13 games here. I do see him getting tired at times and I think that’s just part of his development. He is by no means a finished product physically. Same with adjusting to getting open etc, games like this help him learn and adjust going forward. Film can point out and coaching can continue to work on it. This team did not move the ball great until the 2nd half and Gradey is sort of dependent on getting setup to score at times and the way he was guarded was disadvantageous.

@BeddieKU23 thx stats man! He’s really improved, all around!

He sure has. Really love his progression, he’s showing why he was good in HS even though he was undersized. Playing to his athletic ability and making the opportunities he gets count.

• @BeddieKU23 said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

@rockchalkjayhawk

He is playing a lot of minutes and we may forget he’s only played 13 games here. I do see him getting tired at times and I think that’s just part of his development. He is by no means a finished product physically. Same with adjusting to getting open etc, games like this help him learn and adjust going forward. Film can point out and coaching can continue to work on it. This team did not move the ball great until the 2nd half and Gradey is sort of dependent on getting setup to score at times and the way he was guarded was disadvantageous.

Oklahoma State had an amazing first half on both sides of the ball. First i’ve seen em play this year, but guessing they played out of their gourds.

Somehow they were able to shut down our 3 pt line, AND any inside penetration.

Credit their effort and strategy. Both Wilson and Gradey affected.

• @rockchalkjayhawk said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

@BeddieKU23 said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

@rockchalkjayhawk

Oklahoma State had an amazing first half on both sides of the ball. First i’ve seen em play this year, but guessing they played out of their gourds.

Somehow they were able to shut down our 3 pt line, AND any inside penetration.

Credit their effort and strategy. Both Wilson and Gradey affected.

Oh definitely they shot the 3 in the first half well above average and then thankfully they came back down to earth in the 2nd. Bryce Thompson made 7 3’s, against his old team so definitely an one-off type of game there. Him and Wright made several highly contested shots that were lucky looking. We allowed them to get confident in that first half and that played a part in their ability to make shots.

I respect Boynton, he really knows how to get his team to play well in Allen Fieldhouse. Always sound defensively and coaches them up well.

• @BeddieKU23

Yes…

There are two big reasons why teams focus on Gradey.

First… if he’s left open he will quickly score treys in bunches.

Second… if he is guarded closely… he won’t!

What is Gradey’s biggest skill? It’s getting shots up quickly with speed and perfect form. That is great… but now he needs to put some time in on how to score when guarded. Develop a few moves off the dribble that give him scoring space but also where he is almost as reliable when shooting those shots verses being wide open. He’ll get there. He will get there because he has uncanny ability to learn the physical parts of basketball. He doesn’t have that much of a background as a sharp shooter like he is now… he used to be a slasher more than a smooth jump shooter.

Then think about other parts of the game… like rebounding… muscling up on defense. seeing more floor (like Juan does). Gosh… imagine if he stayed at KU for 4 years? We might win a couple more Natties if he did!

I feel pretty sure he is magnetized on Steph Curry’s game… who isn’t? But I’d like to see him study Luka Doncic. A guy who doesn’t need perfect athleticism to dominate the league. He’s like the next Larry Bird. He needs about a foot of vertical leap to create scoring space!

• @Jethro Dog fight every game for the next three months.

Boynton didn’t complain about calls, he’s a classy guy. I like him. Said he wouldn’t want to ref. Probably my next favorite coach in big 12

My exact thoughts! We are lucky to have him in the Big 12… especially at OSU, a school that doesn’t have a great basketball environment. I remember a few years ago when the coach was begging students to come to games. OSU is extremely lucky to have a coach of his quality!

• @Jethro said in KU/Oklahoma St Game Thread:

SOS Update: https://twitter.com/TylerDreiling/status/1609718879047000064

I would put money on Kansas NOT losing 7+ games in conference. Won’t go undefeated, but those projections are insulting! Lol

• @dylans

We can use all available tools to create a chip for this team. It is so hard to come back from a Nattie and perform well. We definitely have the talent and coaching to go far this year but it is going to take being a very hungry team to maximize potential.