Deuces, Kauffman

• Wow, that’s a shocker. I’m not always a big fan of tearing down good stadiums, I would dearly love my team to build a new stadium to replace dreadful Sox park. I think it’s holding back the team in some ways. Jerry Reinsdorf is 87 years old and to be honest most Sox fans are waiting for him to go rather impatiently. Maybe new ownership would see the need?

• @wissox The K looks better on TV than it is. Hope the new stadium is a gem and not a modern eyesore in a decade.

• Yeah this had to be done.

• @dylans That’s the trick. Retro is in and since it’s in, many teams have built their retro stadium and none of them really stand out. They’re all nice enough but have any really stood out from the crowd since Camden Yards? Pittsburgh’s and SF’s are fine too but theirs were enhanced by the natural setting. The Yankees just tried to recreate Yankee Stadium which I think worked well. I know the architect for Pittsburgh is a KC guy and I’m guessing he might be very interested in designing it. Should he get it I don’t think they’ll have much to worry about.

• @wissox Agreed, it is difficult to build both a modern marvel and something that will stand the test of time. There are a lot more Astro domes than colosseums.

• What do people want in a stadium? I want a good view of the field, and that’s about it. Some seats not in the sun. Cheaper beer.

• Heard that the favored sites are mostly in the downtown/Crossroads area.

Curious about what the capacity would be. Some of the newer ballparks are actually smaller than their predecessors. In Seattle they built a downtown stadium not unlike Camden Yards with a retractable roof (something that was in the original design for the K and Arrowhead) and a wraparound view of the mountains and Puget Sound from the concourse. Over 10,000 fewer seats than the old Kingdome. Creates demand for the more limited number of tickets; hence, an excuse to raise the prices.

• @nwhawkfan said in Deuces, Kauffman:

Heard that the favored sites are mostly in the downtown/Crossroads area.

Curious about what the capacity would be. Some of the newer ballparks are actually smaller than their predecessors. In Seattle they built a downtown stadium not unlike Camden Yards with a retractable roof (something that was in the original design for the K and Arrowhead) and a wraparound view of the mountains and Puget Sound from the concourse. Over 10,000 fewer seats than the old Kingdome. Creates demand for the more limited number of tickets; hence, an excuse to raise the prices.

I would expect a smaller venue for sure.

• @dylans said in Deuces, Kauffman:

@wissox Agreed, it is difficult to build both a modern marvel and something that will stand the test of time. There are a lot more Astro domes than colosseums.

Funny thing about the Astrodome. As far as I can tell it’s the last of the “one-size-fits-all” stadiums still standing, though it’s been dormant for years. It does have a historic designation that prevents it from being torn down, at least for the time being.

As for Riverfront, Three Rivers, The Kingdome, Busch Stadium (the second)…all gone. In reality, that round, one-size-fits-all design concept of the 1960s and 70s didn’t fit either football or baseball very well.

• @nwhawkfan I went to the Houston stadium next to the Astrodome a few years back and was just amazed how it dwarfed the astrodome. I had never been in Houston at that point so I have no prior knowledge of what the Astrodome looked like before their current dome.