Self Dmack Rafters?

• Anyone know if Self has mentioned getting Dmack in the rafters?

• I haven’t heard anything. If he gets up there I’ll be surprised to be honest.

Did T-Rob go up yet? I’d imagine Doke goes up. Och too. Mason. Graham. Maybe Wiggins. Maybe Ellis.

Seems like too many guys that need to go up there before him, and unless Bill is coaching until he’s 80 they won’t get to Dave.

• Och doesnt belong up there before Dave. I love Och. But we just won a title on Daves back.

• Wiggins neither. He didn’t accomplish anything at KU. If Dave had rightfully won MOP of the FF he would go up.

• @approxinfinity said in Self Dmack Rafters?:

Och doesnt belong up there before Dave. I love Och. But we just won a title on Daves back.

No not really. we won that title because of the team as a whole but Dave didn’t have a game I love Dave but he doesn’t belong in the rafters before Och.

Quite possible neither belong there but Och would be before Dave

• @Kcmatt7 said in Self Dmack Rafters?:

I haven’t heard anything. If he gets up there I’ll be surprised to be honest.

Did T-Rob go up yet? I’d imagine Doke goes up. Och too. Mason. Graham. Maybe Wiggins. Maybe Ellis.

Seems like too many guys that need to go up there before him, and unless Bill is coaching until he’s 80 they won’t get to Dave.

Graham & Mason for sure before Dave Doke before Dave -I’d be shocked to see Dave here before the fore mentioned players

• @jayballer67 Player availability has a lot to do with when someone goes up into the rafters as well. Players playing in the NBA have typically come back for a ceremony over All-Star weekend while a lot of international players have had to wait until their playing careers are over because they’re typically overseas during KU’s season. Injuries can also be a factor because that’s when Kirk Hinrich went up was while he was out with an injury.

• Immortality in Rafters:

• MOP of FF
    • Consensus 1st team All America
    • Academic All America

I don’t know of any other hard and fast rules.

• @bskeet said in Self Dmack Rafters?:

Immortality in Rafters:

• MOP of FF
    • Consensus 1st team All America = Immortality in Rafters
    • Academic All America

I don’t know of any other hard and fast rules.

National Player of the Year gets you up there, 2× first team All-American gets you up there, and it’s not just Academic All-American, it’s the Academic All-American of the Year and was added during the Roy years to get Jacque Vaughn in the rafters and is also why Cole Aldrich is up there.

I’d also like to see National Defensive Player of the Year added along with Conference Player of the Year. NDPOY would cover Doke and Big 12 POY would add Marcus Morris as the only Jayhawks that doesn’t meet some other criteria.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 what about Marcus Garrett? D poy oh you said that.

• @approxinfinity said in Self Dmack Rafters?:

Och doesnt belong up there before Dave. I love Och. But we just won a title on Daves back.

Strong disagree here

• @Crimsonorblue22 said in Self Dmack Rafters?:

@Texas-Hawk-10 what about Marcus Garrett? D poy oh you said that.

Doke and Garrett actually split the award that year. Garrett was the Naismith winner and Doke the NABC winner.

• I think Self agrees with me that Dave made the most plays (other than Remy) this tourney run. Thats why wondered if he had mentioned it. Hoping it happens.

• We have had to be counter culture against media bias on so many fronts. Why should we allow a media panel that chose the wrong FF MOP decide whose jersey can hang in our rafters?

• Thank you @Texas-Hawk-10 for correcting and filling in the blanks on the criteria.

It’s hard to argue that Ochi’s jersey shouldn’t be in the rafters. Honestly, it’s a done deal. He met the criteria.

However, it’s also hard to argue that Dave doesn’t deserve to be recognized. A case could be made for Remy too. The main issue is that it’s a slippery slope when you loosen the criteria.

For instance, adding conference player of the year adds a number of players historically. And it doesn’t get Dave there. So then you need another criteria for that and it will likely add other players too. Pretty soon, the prestige is sullied and the honor watered down.

Personally, I would keep the criteria as they are and develop a new honor for members of a championship team. That helps us not forget critical players like Piper, Pritchard and Newton and Shady and Rush… and BigDave and Remy.

• @bskeet said in Self Dmack Rafters?:

Thank you @Texas-Hawk-10 for correcting and filling in the blanks on the criteria.

It’s hard to argue that Ochi’s jersey shouldn’t be in the rafters. Honestly, it’s a done deal. He met the criteria.

However, it’s also hard to argue that Dave doesn’t deserve to be recognized. A case could be made for Remy too. The main issue is that it’s a slippery slope when you loosen the criteria.

For instance, adding conference player of the year adds a number of players historically. And it doesn’t get Dave there. So then you need another criteria for that and it will likely add other players too. Pretty soon, the prestige is sullied and the honor watered down.

Personally, I would keep the criteria as they are and develop a new honor for members of a championship team. That helps us not forget critical players like Piper and Newton and Shady and Rush… and BigDave and Remy.

Conference Player of the Year actually doesn’t add anyone that doesn’t already have their jersey retired or meets another already established criteria except for Marcus Morris and Doke and Morris already had his jersey retired. KU’s conference POY’s all time are Dave Robisch, Bud Stallworth, Danny Manning, Jacque Vaughn, Raef LaFrentz, Drew Gooden, Nick Collison, Wayne Simien, Marcus Morris, Thomas Robinson, Frank Mason, Devonte Graham, Udoka Azubuike, and Ochai Agbaji.

Right now, the next jersey going up is likely T-Rob whenever he can make it back during the season. In your list of names, Brandon Rush’s jersey is already retired because he was a 2× 1st team All-American.

• This post is deleted!