Coaching succession

• Simple question: Has there ever been a more impressive coaching succession than Larry Brown --> Roy Williams --> Bill Self? In. Any. Sport. Ever.

• Simply the best

• Maybe only the Steelers?

• @FarmerJayhawk said in Coaching succession:

Maybe only the Steelers?

Cowboys as much as I hate to acknowledge it. Landry, Johnson, and Switzer all won Super Bowls.

• @bskeet said in Coaching succession:

Simple question: Has there ever been a more impressive coaching succession than Larry Brown --> Roy Williams --> Bill Self? In. Any. Sport. Ever.

I’ve had the full monty. I remember the excitement and disbelief we could get a coach like Larry Brown. And he turned our program around immediately.

Then the switch to Roy. I first thought he wouldn’t be very good, but then that offense got going, and I fell in love.

Then Bill. I hated Bill at first. The offense was abysmal, it seemed. Never ran. Just plodded along. Then he started winning, started winning big. The 2007 team was one of my favorite Jayhawk teams ever, and then 2008 was even better. I now think that Bill Self is the best coach in the history of KU, period. We don’t even have rebuilding years. The domination of the best conference in college basketball may never be duplicated. 2 national championships along the way has been supreme.

• I will always wonder if Self sort of lucked out by the fact that Roy never won a championship. Since Roy didn’t win it all our fan base was open for change away from an “all offense” approach to basketball. Bill took us to a place where we stopped the run and gun… less overall excitement… and made us think about winning with low scores and defense.

I still don’t understand how our attention is on defense without us having full court pressure. Totally goes against my understanding of the game. I think Bill realizes we don’t do well enough in our M2M defense to extend further on the court. So he limits us in an attempt to be better at half court defense. At this point, I just buy in because his record speaks for itself, and I’m not talking about winning two NCs… I’m talking about his winning % and ownership of the B12. The guy just flat out wins!