No more expectations moving forward

• Well I just got no more expectations. They went out the window , after last night. Something that just sticks in my craw it was well documented during the off Season with the incoming freshmen we got and transfer portal that Bill was looking for more athletism - -supposedly we were going to be so much more athletic team this season. Yet all I hear is when we get beat outplayed is just how much more athletic these other teams are- - -if that’s the case and yet we were suppose to be so much better how much we improved with these incoming kids then my question is - - just how fricken much were we non athletic last year ?

This team has some glaring weakness and they have been exposed; they got exposed against Baylor - - they got exposed against TCU. and as much you won’t want to hear this I’m saying it anyways cause it is what it is. - This team has a very good chance of being knocked out of the NCAA tourney in the 1st round period. -we are a very weak rebounding team TCU just smoked our ass on the offensive Boards getting 2-3 shots every time they put it up, poor boxing out – poor everything . Next we are a very poor defensive team and those things are going to bit you right square in your ass come Tourney time. We get beat continuously off the dribble drive , we have a slow footed 5 man that really can’t defend - -Remy can’t defend - - Jalen can’t defend mercy they are ugly on defense.

I’m really not worried - -really not upset about us having a # 1 seed - - cause we don’t deserve to be a number 1 seed actually before it’s said an done we could end up a 3 Seed - wouldn’t be that upset cause don’t really feel w are much above that but for DAM SURE we are no # 1 seed. - -now there are those that won’t agree with that and to that I’ll just say I’m sorry - -I’m sorry your Crimson & Blue glasses are blinding you to fact. – This team for having the experience it has , the depth it supposedly has or had - -has under achieved plain and simple. w will be lucky I think if we even get a share of the Big 12 Title s I think there is a good chance that Texas could come in Saturday and beat us, we have been playing really poorly basically every since we put the S - - - stomping on Baylor at home , look at the close games we have had this Season that very easily could of gone the other way - -we could easily have another 2-3 losses - this team I’m seeing just doesn’t have it and that’s dissa pointing considering - -we are more like a # 15-16 ranked team NOT NO #6 rnnked team - -so all I’m saying don’t be making any reservations to go see these guys past the 2nd round tops-- looking for better days

• I liked how we came out to start the Baylor game. And we were rewarded by taking a double-digit lead.

I feel like we are impossible to beat when we come out like that.

Just have to learn to bottle it and use it every game. ha… right…

There is a pot of gold and diamonds awaiting the person who can figure out how to get current D1 players to consistently come out with fire! I’ve always felt that Jay Wright is one of the best at doing that, but there are others.

Our current team’s success is all about coming out with fire and delivering that fire for 40 minutes.

I suggest someone sneak some itching powder into their jockstraps for these last two games. lol

• @jayballer67 I don’t think we are a first round exit simply because of how highly we are likely to be seeded. The level of competition in the big 12 is stiff and TCU has shown they should be considered in the top half of a league with basically no bottom. Remember how good Iowa State was before conference play started? They were ranked and playing well until they hit the gauntlet that is this conference round robin. So I’m fairly confident we will beat whatever double digit seed we end up playing in the first round. And actually dropping off the 1/2 line could actually give us a BETTER chance of making the second weekend if there happens to be an upset. As a 1/2 seed your first game is basically a pass and your second game is vs one of those middle of the pack tournament teams. I could see us struggling against a 6-8 seed team. If we were to drop to the 3 line there’s an outside chance we face an 11 seed in the second round (TCU currently projected as a 9 seed and potential second round opponent for a 1 seed). Eleven seeds are teams like Wake and Creighton who I’m not quite as scared of. Long story short, I agree this team is probably in the top 16 in the country but will go ahead and say that’s how far I think they’ll go when I remove my crimson and blue glasses.

When I put those bad boys back on though, this team is still capable of beating REALLY good teams. Baylor is a really good team. Tech is a really good team. KU IS A REALLY GOOD TEAM. Yes we have our weaknesses but so does every other team. Yes KU’s weaknesses have been exposed (I’d argue it was more Texas, than Baylor, who exposed them) but the same could be said for every team. Remember a few days ago when EVERY TEAM in the top 6 lost? Nobody is perfect this year which means there is opportunity for this team to achieve greatness. In my heart, I believe we have the pieces with Och, Braun, Wilson, and Good Dave all being legit scoring threats who can go for 20 in a game without it being a shock. Heck, it’s not even surprising when 2 of them go for 20+ in a game and not even unheard of for 3 to do it. When this team runs and pushes the pace they are so much fun to watch and have looked (as @drgnslayr mentioned) unbeatable. I’m still waiting for Och to actually go off. He’s been mister consistent this year and has been more of a volume scorer. I still think he’s got a game where he hits 5 or 6 threes and goes for 30-40 on a night where he just doesn’t miss much. I for one am hoping that is being saved for the brightest of lights and he will have his one shining moment amid a season of individual excellence.

My bracket will once again this year have KU winning it all and my heart will break if that doesn’t happen. Here’s to prolonging that heartbreak as long as possible. Rock Chalk!

• I think he lost the team last night. It happens. He was thru his timeouts with like 7 minutes left. Remy comes back, they lose two in a row by double digits…maybe some hurt egos…maybe the giveashitter isn’t working…i dunno. Not blaming Remy, but that’s the only thing that’s changed. I think we gotta just go with Joe. yeah, we’re going to take a PR hit by leaving Remy on the bench, but I’d rather take that hit instead of the steaming pile of poo i’ve seen on the court the last 2. It’s too late to incorporate Remy into the rotation- it’s throwing everybody off.

• @Jethro this along with remys limitations as a team player has been my worry as well. We were really clicking for a few games there. Hope we find that again at the right time.

• So Remy (1 for 2 in 12 minutes, 1 turnover) is responsible for our stars’ piss-poor shooting (OA and CB 8 for 28) and the team getting outrebounded badly? I bet he would be amazed at his monster influence on everybody.

• @mayjay In a word, yes. A 12 minute stint could ruin a whole team…if the rest of the team doesn’t feel he should be getting those minutes, and when he does come in, he screws up the offense and defense so bad that the team gets frustrated. You damn right it can change the attitude of the team. These players aren’t robots. They are human beings. I’d like to say they were just tired, but then TCU played on Saturday, too. Maybe it was being on the road- maybe it was Bill’s “bizarre” ( your favorite word) substitution pattern, maybe they were pissed over losing to Baylor, and didn’t give a shit.

Any-who, I truly believe we can win the next two games, and I’d like to see more Joe, more Zach, and less Remy and less Mitch.

• @benshawks08 said in No more expectations moving forward:

@jayballer67 I don’t think we are a first round exit simply because of how highly we are likely to be seeded. The level of competition in the big 12 is stiff and TCU has shown they should be considered in the top half of a league with basically no bottom. Remember how good Iowa State was before conference play started? They were ranked and playing well until they hit the gauntlet that is this conference round robin. So I’m fairly confident we will beat whatever double digit seed we end up playing in the first round. And actually dropping off the 1/2 line could actually give us a BETTER chance of making the second weekend if there happens to be an upset. As a 1/2 seed your first game is basically a pass and your second game is vs one of those middle of the pack tournament teams. I could see us struggling against a 6-8 seed team. If we were to drop to the 3 line there’s an outside chance we face an 11 seed in the second round (TCU currently projected as a 9 seed and potential second round opponent for a 1 seed). Eleven seeds are teams like Wake and Creighton who I’m not quite as scared of. Long story short, I agree this team is probably in the top 16 in the country but will go ahead and say that’s how far I think they’ll go when I remove my crimson and blue glasses.

When I put those bad boys back on though, this team is still capable of beating REALLY good teams. Baylor is a really good team. Tech is a really good team. KU IS A REALLY GOOD TEAM. Yes we have our weaknesses but so does every other team. Yes KU’s weaknesses have been exposed (I’d argue it was more Texas, than Baylor, who exposed them) but the same could be said for every team. Remember a few days ago when EVERY TEAM in the top 6 lost? Nobody is perfect this year which means there is opportunity for this team to achieve greatness. In my heart, I believe we have the pieces with Och, Braun, Wilson, and Good Dave all being legit scoring threats who can go for 20 in a game without it being a shock. Heck, it’s not even surprising when 2 of them go for 20+ in a game and not even unheard of for 3 to do it. When this team runs and pushes the pace they are so much fun to watch and have looked (as @drgnslayr mentioned) unbeatable. I’m still waiting for Och to actually go off. He’s been mister consistent this year and has been more of a volume scorer. I still think he’s got a game where he hits 5 or 6 threes and goes for 30-40 on a night where he just doesn’t miss much. I for one am hoping that is being saved for the brightest of lights and he will have his one shining moment amid a season of individual excellence.

My bracket will once again this year have KU winning it all and my heart will break if that doesn’t happen. Here’s to prolonging that heartbreak as long as possible. Rock Chalk!

The one thig that is different between us and the othre teams you talk about weakness is - -it’s been our weakness ALL YEAR LONG we can’t stop a cold on the straight line drive. Our defense just not have what it takes to go that fat in the Tourney pertty simple

• @mayjay you’re right. Interpersonal dynamics can’t have an influence on a teams performance. How silly of anyone to think so.

That one guy you think couldn’t possibly impact a team in 12 minutes was pre-season player of the year. An award that has very little to do with actual performance and a lot to do with expectations. Expectations Remy has failed to live up to for whatever reason. Some blame self, some blame Remy, while injury is the most likely candidate. He missed the gauntlet of the season. He missed the part of the season where the team came together. Rallied together. Faced adversity together. He was there but not in the fight.

Self makes every player earn their spot on his team. It’s not unreasonable to think the team wouldn’t have those same expectations of each other. Now I don’t KNOW anything about the team dynamics outside of what I see on the tv. I don’t watch practice. I have no connections inside the program. The closest I’ve come to bill self was waving at him in his Tahoe as he dropped off a player at the jayhawk towers 17 years ago. But what I’ve concluded from the evidence I have is that this team plays better without Remy. It sucks for Remy. It sucks for the team because Remy has the potential to be a really good player. But that’s what I see right now.

• @jayballer67 nah. Their weaknesses have been around all year too. They’ve all lost games, had close games, won games where they didn’t really play that well. I agree we are not the MOST talented team on the country this year and it is unlikely (less than 50 percent) that we make the final four. But that’s true for almost every team almost every year. We CAN win the whole thing. Probably won’t. But I’d say the same thing about just about every other team out there now.

I’d be surprised if anyone could call the final four right now with any confidence and even if they got it right it’s probably more luck than knowledge.

I’ll enjoy the ride as long as I can and believe my team can win the next one right up until they don’t have any more games to play.

• Auburn struggling right on cue. In overtime with Mississippi state.

• I’m hesitant to blame Remy for the last two games. I have a hard time imagining the team is against him, though that does happen. Self is paid millions to figure all of this out, including team dynamics. I don’t think it makes sense that he would play him if he didn’t feel comfortable with it, including impact on the team.

Also… I don’t think Remy could come out and play with any form of enthusiasm if he sensed his teammates weren’t behind him. I think it is potentially damaging to spread this idea because fan response does work its way back to the team.

It is frustrating to watch us give away our conference lead and appear to be on a downwards trend at the end of the season. Maybe this is the best thing that could happen. Maybe our guys respond off of this and come out hungry!

I think we deserve to share the conference title. We’ve played well enough to earn that. When I remove my crimson/blue glasses… I believe we should share it instead of have it outright because of the quality of our league.

RCJH!

• @drgnslayr Certainly better to be playing bad now than at the end of march. Still time to right the ship.

• personaly , I have a problem with how the refs are calling the games. It appears to me that any thing goes in the lane or under the basket and nothing but tikky tack contact on the perimeter is called. The shit that takes place under the basket is going to get someone seriously injured. the one situation that really caused me concern happened in the Baylor game. JWill was driving across the lane and a Baylor player deliberatly slammed him across the face with a forearm which knocked him on his ass. What was the call, travelling on JWill. For Christ sakes that sort of "allowable"contact could have ended him up in the hospital. The worthless NCAA needs to wake up to this shit. Thanks guys for letting me rant.

• Yeah. The officiating has been… selective… all season. I’m not saying it is grossly biased toward or against a team.

I am just saying it has favored a style — a very physical style.

I would like to know what points of emphasis the officials are following.

• Tonight’s game was called a lot tighter. Several fouls tonight would not have been called in previous games - for both sides.

• There was an offensive foul call on them I thought was bad. Think it was against yes. He got lucky. They showed tcu players face several times.

• @tundrahok said in No more expectations moving forward:

@bskeet said in No more expectations moving forward:

I would like to know what points of emphasis the officials are following.

https://www.kstatecollegian.com/2021/11/03/i-really-think-its-going-to-be-bad-for-basketball-big-12-officials-coordinator-curtis-shaw-gives-officiating-update-ahead-of-2021-2022-basketball-season/

From pre-season, not sure if it has carried through…

Yeah, this quote attempts to explain one of the more inconsistent parts of the game:

“An offensive player,” Shaw said, “once he’s gathered the ball and starts his movement, he can’t change. The fact that our rule allows a defender to step in front, and all he has to do is be set a split second before the offensive player’s toe to leave the ground is impossible. It’s also extremely difficult to referee … and we’re not good at it, but I don’t know if you can be good at it. We tried to get it where ‘When the plant foot hits, the defender can no longer get in front.’ The block/charge is the hardest play in the game.”

True: "we’re not good at it. False: “I don’t know if you can be good at it.”

I don’t see how they could be any worse at it.

Still unclear: what has led officials to allow so much contact, virtually anywhere around the lane.

• YES!

I can’t believe more players aren’t hurt! This is ridiculous! And I’m not screaming about bad calls against us.

I’m not totally against Jay Bilas… but he has been fighting to make D1 ball a contactless game for a long time and I think it has changed the game. Often, it is counterproductive to his wishes.

I support less contact of the kind where people get hurt! This current style, to reward the defender by slipping in at the last second is counterproductive to the idea of taking risky contact out of the game! It was supposed to slow down offensive players to drive hard less. Instead… it just supports defenders jumping right into hard contact at the last second! The game has become sooooo unnatural!

And then… they call a lot less “going over the back” on rebounds… but if a guy uses his butt to seal off for a rebound, he gets called!

Concerning the stupid flop rule… allow both teams’ coaches two challenges per game on flop calls. On those challenges the refs go to the monitor. These current wrist-slap flop calls just slow down the game and nothing changes. Sometimes refs need to see the monitor because their angle is often wrong for making the call. Not their fault. Meanwhile… fans watching tv see what really happens!

• @benshawks08 said in No more expectations moving forward: But what I’ve concluded from the evidence I have is that this team plays better without Remy. It sucks for Remy. It sucks for the team because Remy has the potential to be a really good player. But that’s what I see right now.

Bad takes exposed…

• @benshawks08 - Remy won’t be back, so there’s that.

• Good thread, good effort. We all do our part ⛏

• I believe I said that Remy just wasn’t very good. Lol! Oof!

• @Oldmanhawk - Remy had his moments!