Big Test for future Texas head coach game thread

• No math programs at TTU? Weird finish

• @benshawks08 better

• Missed the whole game. Starting from the beginning now. so far YouTube tv is đź‘Ž  (got home 5 min ago and couldn’t skip to end).

• Starts the weekend right!

• Garrett had 3 blocks for the game. Same as Dok.

• I like the sound of Ochai having a good game.

• Tech was 9-21 from three and lost yikes for them. 9% above their season average for anyone wondering.

• They didn’t show dots post game interview🤬

• Nice job staying out of foul trouble down the stretch. Nobody with more than 3 PFs.

• It’s a good sign that we won against a solid team with Doke having one of his worst games in a KU Jersey. A game we probably lose in the past.

• Decent chance to move up to #2 in the polls.

Gonzaga escapes with a late run against USF, after trailing most of the game.

• Garrett has an arch Injury on his foot

• BShark said:

Tech was 9-21 from three and lost yikes for them. 9% above their season average for anyone wondering.

There last two games they have shot out of their mind from 3

• BeddieKU23 said:

Garrett has an arch Injury on his foot

I imagine he will continue playing, but damn.

• Abadji nearly cost us with his mindless TO’s. Without those and a couple missed free throws, it’s not even a game.

• Defense didn’t impress me much today. I thought this was one of our worst defensive games of the season and was the most points KU has given up in regulation all season.

What was the issue with Doke today? Was he sick or hurt today? Only playing 16 minutes and couldn’t shoot to save his life out there.

This team doesn’t pass very well and that’s the root issue of the scoring droughts this team goes on. They don’t reverse the ball very well, they miss a lot of open cuts and passes. 10 assists on 30 made FG’s isn’t good. That’s why I would love to see some elements of the motion offense with this group, it would get the players and ball moving a lot more and open stuff up. Right now, it’s too much Dotson and Garrett driving and either dishing to Doke or putting it up for Doke to get an offensive board. There needs to be more passing to the second and third side to really open the interior up or give guys open perimeter shots.

End of the day, it’s still a win against a quality team and KU hasn’t had a lot of those this season yet.

• Self again won’t foul when up three on a final possession. It’s how he won his sole NC. It’s how we lost to Michigan in 2013. From kusports.com. -

Asked if he considered fouling in the final seconds instead of giving Tech the option of hoisting a game-tying 3-pointer, Self said he did not want to ask his players to defend for nine seconds and then foul in the final five. “I don’t think we’re mature enough to do that,” he said. “And that’s not what we practice.”

Not mature enough? I’ve seen high school teams execute it flawlessly. Just complete nonsense.

But to at least permit the OPTION, it might be wise to at least PRACTICE it. Coaching malpractice NOT to practice it and have it as an option.

A coach has to decide in the situation. We might disagree. But at least practice it.

• Garrett won the game. Came up bigtime on the last two or three sequences.

• @Texas-Hawk-10 wondering about Doke as well. I think the defense not doing great had a lot to do with him only playing 16 minutes.

• @BShark2 I too was surprised that coach played Dave ahead of Dok in the closing minutes with the game on the line. Sure, Dok wasn’t having his best game and while his FT shooting is better, he still could be a liability at the close. But, Dok’s defense, like the block against Tennessee is still an awesome tool.

• I think it’s as simple as Dave was playing significantly better than Doke yesterday so Self went with him. Doke never got into any kind of rhythm and was struggling all game long . Not too mention he still is a liability on the FT line and there is no doubt Beard would have fouled him.

• Not having Doke for several stretches and them shooting well above average from 3 was the issue defensively. Ochai had a couple of bad TOs for sure but as whole we have valued the ball much better in this win streak. It has helped on both ends because we aren’t giving up as many run outs for dunks and layups. A month ago we were averaging a turnover on 20% of our possessions and it killed us in our 3 loses. Continuing to improve in that area and getting some consistency from shooters is a big key in what this team will be able to achieve.

• PER’s after the win over Tech.

First Overall

92f4f739-5e5f-4a6b-9729-a46f1afcb736-image.png

Conference

59fbc813-6f89-48b2-a379-02d7f297e473-image.png

• @kjayhawks

Your right turnover margin has dipped lately, 18.6% which is about half a point below national average. It may continue to dip as we play 4 guards now and get away from the two big lineup that was the major cause. Braun is in the top 60 nationally for turnover rate (really good) so inserting a guard with a very low T/O rate has made a big difference.

Will be interesting to revisit this development by end of conference play. This could be the mid-season flip that makes all the difference in the season