Big 12 looks weak this year



  • I was bit shocked to see the Big 12 standings. Also was surprised how low scoring the big 12 is this year. Is this a college basketball thing with the movement of the three point line?



  • DoubleDD said:

    Is this a college basketball thing with the movement of the three point line?

    That seems to be a big part of it. Scoring across the nation is way down.



  • The Big 12 is last in almost every conference statistic on offense. The flipside is it rates high on defense

    Side note: KU’s offense didnt look good for large portions of this game. Texas defense has seen a major upgrade with what Jesse calls the new Assistant Yalich, a defensive coordinator. Texas guarded the 3 point line like their life depended on it, it’s his defensive scheme.

    KU put up the 2nd best points per possession on the season against Texas 1.06. In Big 12 play KU Leads conference in PPP at 1.03.

    We know KU’s offense isnt elite, the defense is close to elite. The conference has terrible offenses and good defenses. Just how it is this year



  • If KU would stop turning the ball over on nearly 20% of their possessions. We would look considerably better, instead forcing a post entry swing the ball and take a 3 from time to time. Baylor showed everyone how to beat us if you have the personnel.



  • The 3 point line being moved back has brought scoring down temporarily. It happened last time the NCAA moved it back. Scoring will be back up in a couple of years like was also last time.

    I agree the Big 12 is down overall this year. KU and Baylor appear to be a level above anyone else, but the bottom of the league is much worse than usual. We might have 1 team that’s not making any post season tournaments, but this year there appears to be 3 that won’t be sniffing any of the tournaments this year.



  • 3 teams can make the Sweet 16 from the Big 12. Tech is a borderline first weekend survivor due to strong defense and a good coach but it’s a young team. I can’t say anyone else deserves in the dance at this point. Most of, if not all of the rest of the league will have double digit losses going into March.



  • How about the defense though. 8 of the last 10 games holding teams under 60 points.

    This team probably wouldn’t give up 45 to last years roster



  • BeddieKU23 said:

    How about the defense though. 8 of the last 10 games holding teams under 60 points.

    This team probably wouldn’t give up 45 to last years roster

    They’ve only given up 70 once all season (Dayton) and 65-69 points 3 other times times with one of those being against Milwaukee in a near 30 point win. The other 2 were the Duke and Baylor games.

    KU is 15th nationally in points allowed per game this season so far.



  • Texas Hawk 10 said:

    BeddieKU23 said:

    How about the defense though. 8 of the last 10 games holding teams under 60 points.

    This team probably wouldn’t give up 45 to last years roster

    They’ve only given up 70 once all season (Dayton) and 65-69 points 3 other times times with one of those being against Milwaukee in a near 30 point win. The other 2 were the Duke and Baylor games.

    KU is 15th nationally in points allowed per game this season so far.

    Nice Top 15 nationally in points allowed is a good thing.

    Here’s the points allowed against teams vs their offensive rank via Kenpom.

    Most Important as we look to March

    Duke - 66- rank#4

    Dayton- 84 (OT) 73 regulation- rank#3

    Baylor- 67- rank#23

    Villanova- 56 - rank#13

    Others

    ETSU- 63- rank#61

    BYU- 56- rank#15

    Colorado- 58 - rank#66

    Stanford- 56- rank#92

    West Virginia- 53- rank#58

    Iowa St- 53- rank#39

    Oklahoma- 52- rank#45



  • @BeddieKU23 I would put an asterisk by that 84 given up to Dayton since that was an OT game. KU only gave up 73 in regulation that game to Dayton.



  • @Texas-Hawk-10

    I edited the post, thx for that I forgot to look at what they gave up in regulation



  • BShark said:

    DoubleDD said:

    Is this a college basketball thing with the movement of the three point line?

    That seems to be a big part of it. Scoring across the nation is way down.

    Scoring is down 1.9 points nationally this season (from last). The peak of the last 25 seasons or so was 2018 at 73.6 nationally so scoring is down over 3 points in less then 2 years.

    3pt % and FG % is down a pt, at least. Efficiency is down 5 points from last season alone. Painting a bleak picture about this year


Log in to reply