Kansas basketball games on Big 12 Now/ESPN+ a new source of frustration for some KU fans

• I’ve got ESPN+ and have had no problems with it - but this pisses me off. You’d think “they” would want to make it easier for fans to watch their teams, games, advertising and not more difficult. Pretty soon they’ll price the majority of fans out of watching and sooner or later they’ll find a way to charge to listen on the radio. Then I guess I’ll go back to fishing, hunting and fixing stuff around the house instead of watching sports.

• Coming out of hibernation for this one topic because I’m really aggravated by it. Jeff Long says this: “Kansas being on is a tribute to our success and the demand that people have to watch Kansas basketball,” he said. “So you can understand why ESPN and Big 12 Now chose Kansas.”

Have you ever heard such a ridiculous statement? I mean a move that makes our team lest visible, less relevant he tries to spin it into something somehow good. A good AD would have gone ape crap on ESPN’s people/Big 12 people and said something.

I’ve paid for ESPN for the last 15 years or so. Now as a reward they tell me I’ve got to pay more to watch my favorite team. It’s the problem with businesses like this. There’s no one really to complain to. You get treated badly at Walmart, or Culvers and you go to the manager and register a complaint and at least get heard. How do you complain about ESPN? Drive to Bristol and ask to see the boss?

To top it off, a marquee game on our schedule with the two marquee coaches in the conference and no one out of WVU and KU is going to watch. Now I went and checked Duke, none, I guess the ESPN owned ACC network takes care of that. Same with Kentucky and the SEC network. MSU gets the benefit of the fabulous BTN, and we get stuck with deciding whether to pony up a relatively small fee.

So far I haven’t paid this year of course meaning I’ve missed a bunch of games already which I hate. Tomorrow I’ll probably find a 5 dollar bill laying around and pay up, but I won’t be happy about it. Jeff Long, if you’re reading this, do us all a favor and quit. This is just a job for you, go back to Ohio.

(hi everyone, still reading)

• That game was so bad Jeff Long owes me a 5 dollar refund.

• Well good thing you have a 2 for 1 w/isu wed!

• For those living outside the general KU area, it provides a cheap way to get KU games. Additionally, there are a lot of non-Power 5 games that are interesting. I find myself watching mid-major which makes me admire the KU game even more!

• wissox said:

Coming out of hibernation for this one topic because I’m really aggravated by it. Jeff Long says this: “Kansas being on is a tribute to our success and the demand that people have to watch Kansas basketball,” he said. “So you can understand why ESPN and Big 12 Now chose Kansas.”

Have you ever heard such a ridiculous statement? I mean a move that makes our team lest visible, less relevant he tries to spin it into something somehow good. A good AD would have gone ape crap on ESPN’s people/Big 12 people and said something.

I’ve paid for ESPN for the last 15 years or so. Now as a reward they tell me I’ve got to pay more to watch my favorite team. It’s the problem with businesses like this. There’s no one really to complain to. You get treated badly at Walmart, or Culvers and you go to the manager and register a complaint and at least get heard. How do you complain about ESPN? Drive to Bristol and ask to see the boss?

To top it off, a marquee game on our schedule with the two marquee coaches in the conference and no one out of WVU and KU is going to watch. Now I went and checked Duke, none, I guess the ESPN owned ACC network takes care of that. Same with Kentucky and the SEC network. MSU gets the benefit of the fabulous BTN, and we get stuck with deciding whether to pony up a relatively small fee.

So far I haven’t paid this year of course meaning I’ve missed a bunch of games already which I hate. Tomorrow I’ll probably find a 5 dollar bill laying around and pay up, but I won’t be happy about it. Jeff Long, if you’re reading this, do us all a favor and quit. This is just a job for you, go back to Ohio.

(hi everyone, still reading)

I couldn’t agree more… You nailed it.

• Gorilla72 said:

For those living outside the general KU area, it provides a cheap way to get KU games. Additionally, there are a lot of non-Power 5 games that are interesting. I find myself watching mid-major which makes me admire the KU game even more!

Wow, talk about trying to put a positive spin on things Lol… On the positive side KU nation, you now get the chance to watch other teams play.

• I’m irritated because I pay a boatload for cable so I can watch the vast majority of games, and this year I’ve seen maybe 3 games on TV. I’m not paying for another streaming service. I already have Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ and Apple TV.

ESPN: Please help me understand how it’s a compliment to not put KU on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews. etc etc… there are like 5 ESPN channels. Not to mention the WatchESPN app that used to be included in my Comcast subscription. SMH.

So I’m not able to speak with much authority so far this year about Dotson vs Garrett… or all of the other interesting threads… Because I CAN’T FRICKIN’ VIEW the games despite paying more than I want / more than I ought to every month.

• Hope this won’t come off as flippant, but YouTubeTV + ESPN+ is my total KU value package. I get every game and I split with several family members, so my cost is about $20/month.

• @ajvan I have youtubetv and espn+ as well. Also invested a one time fee of $59 for a Roku stick and I get so many flipping channels I can never begin to watch all of them. I wish i would have disengaged from the Commie Cable Co years ago. I LOVE my current setup. Once in a blue moon the screen will buffer for a couple of seconds - that’s the only downfall and one i can live with.

• I’m saving about $50/month by switching from Spectrum to YTTV. The promo price expired so their base package is up to $73/month. To get all the sports, it’s almost $95, not including fees. That’s when you get ESPNNews, U, FS2, MLB, NFL, and NBA. With a streaming service you only pay sales tax if it applies in your state. You don’t have to separately pay all the broadcast fees (I think it’s like $14/month now) and that kind of thing. I’m also saving by not renting a cable box. I can also stream on multiple tv’s with my Roku and FireStick using all the same apps.

The DVR is YTTV’s biggest draw IMO. Unlimited space and it’s smart enough to record live events even if they start or end before or after their scheduled times. I have mine set to record all KU football and basketball games so I can go back and watch any game since I set it up. Everything works off your Google account so even if the power goes out your DVR still works. I know I sound like a shill for Google but it’s worked great for me in the few years I’ve had it.

So it takes me fewer button presses to get to the ESPN app to find the KU game that it would to flip through my cable guide to one of the ESPN’s, plus get more pregame and postgame content while paying less than I ever have and can see every game as a Kansas expat. Lol at wanting Long’s head over this. KU made out pretty well financially as well. In addition to the about $4om the Big 12 distributes to each school, each has its own tier 3 rights, which we sold to ESPN for around $10 million. I may be off a bit on that number but it’s close.